Expired Hot Deals

$59 USD 3-night Princess Cruise from LA to Vancouver - May 5 ($134 taxes included)

• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2019 5:44 pm
Apr 6, 2017
491 posts
616 upvotes
Its a booze cruise. Rooms are nothing fancy. Booze is not free. Get some plastic bottles ready.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2011
1154 posts
1031 upvotes
VANCOUVER
kmchow wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 1:07 am
The high cost of 1 way flight down is a serious dealbreaker for me if you're going down only to cruise right back up. ☹️ I was expecting under $200 from YVR to la. The flight cost is more acceptable if you were vacationing down in la and then cruising back home.
You can also go down to Bellingham and take Allegiant for dirt cheap. I've found $50 one way tickets to lax before
You'll just have to get a ride down there or figure out how to get your car once the cruise is done

https://www.allegiantair.com
Nov 20, 2017
744 posts
672 upvotes
Toronto
tfong010 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 8:38 am
Its a booze cruise. Rooms are nothing fancy. Booze is not free. Get some plastic bottles ready.
If its a booze cruise, all you need is a room with a bed and a toilet and your sorted.
Mar 11, 2002
729 posts
177 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 3:38 am
Aaaah...so I’m out. The suspect demographic is a massive dealbreaker. Thanks for the tip!
To be fair, the demographic of a 3 day cruise will be completely different than a 7 day or 14+, I have done a number of cruises on most of the regular lines and would rank them by age of passenger as follows.

Disney (not really fair due to the # of kids) > Carnival/Royal Caribbean > Princess/Celebrity/NCL > Holland America > Oceania/Cunard

Cruising has changed a lot since I started cruising more (around 10 years ago) and while I have attained top tier (elite) status on Princess I have been trying other lines out to compare, Nickle and dimeing has always been an issue and even when "Drinks/other stuff" are free they are normally built into the price (You can kinda work this out by trying to do a web booking for a "resident's, no frills" rate without perks and you'll often find that the perk was built into your fare)

When I first started cruising it was a fairly all-inclusive (minus the alcohol/soft drinks) and gratuities were dolled out in cash to those who deserved it. Just like other things over time the "base" fare has dropped but there has been an increase in the supplementary charges (specialty dining, priority access (First to the Fun, The Key) and the like. In terms of activities it really comes down to how good the Cruise Director, I've done 8 days at sea and not been bored, yet on a recent Holland America cruise it was horrible for the 1 sea day as the whole "ship" moved from 1 venue to the next...

This cruise on the Coral Princess (older island class) is a smaller vessel with less of the on board activities found on the newer mega ships(Especially RCCL).. so if things like trivia, just relaxing in a lounger, and eating are you thing this is your cruise. If you are expecting surfing/rock climbing/bumper cars/water slides look toward Carnival/Royal Caribbean instead.

Entertainment wise, Royal Caribbean Production Shows are among the best while Princess ones have been ok, (They used to be 60 mins then got cut to 35 then i believe they are up to 45 mins now)

Food - Highly subjective, but no free lobster on a 3 day cruise. Americans will say food is not tasty (re:salty) enough whereas to my group's tastes things can be on the salty side. Would categorize Princess dining room food along the lines of Hotel Buffet quality in terms of presentation and the such. Most meal's you'll find something that will interest you (especially dinner), lunches the buffet tends to offer a lot more variety.

Rooms - Princess cabins tend to be on the smaller side compared to Celebrity/Royal Caribbean and while "clean" are a little dated on this ship vs the Royal Class and the newer ships from other lines.

For the price it's a great way to "sample" a cruise if you can find a reasonable way to fly down to LA. I believe the old "standard" of ~$100/day after taxes(not including gratuities) is long gone. Keep in the mind the port of San Pedro is fairly far from LAX, and most people would probably fly in 1 day in advance in case of travel delays so factor in a Hotel as well.

Hope this helps, and feel free to reach out if you have any other questions.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
17889 posts
2485 upvotes
Langley
I've done this cruise twice and in fact my mom will be on the upcoming one with a friend of hers.

Last time I went, the flights were only ~$100 but I didn't book last minute. AC currently has a flight down there on my 4th for $325 but it connects in Calgary. It's a high price, but you save so much on the cruise it might be worthwhile. Aeroplan has plenty of connecting flights for 12500 points and $125CAD. There's also the train (30 hours) from Seattle at $157USD. You can take a bus or train to Seattle from Vancouver/White Rock/Bellingham.

Demographics are mostly middle-aged people. Not to many kids or younger adults. But there's always some.
Apr 6, 2017
491 posts
616 upvotes
They have many of these cruises from Long Beach down to Mexico and back. Usually runs two hundred bucks max. Just a matter of timing to avoid high season rates.
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2436 posts
917 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Cruise has come and gone but I've done a few of these repos. Demographic for the first (5 day back in 2012) seemed to be early baby boomer generation. 4 day in 2016 was slightly younger overall and quite a few kids (cruise sold out quickly when the 4 day was being blown out at ~USD 170++ for inside, outside and balcony, and middle of California spring break too).

Princess cabins (Star and Island) are small but same size as Celebrity M class. Dining was a shambles. Swore off Princes after the last cruise.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
Sep 3, 2014
677 posts
648 upvotes
Maple Ridge, BC
mike330 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 12:21 am
Hot deal. Was looking for a cruise from LA to Vancouver. Too bad the departure date is May 5. Need something in July or August.
This is a ship relocation. For the Vancouver-Alaska cruise season. You won't find these in peak season!
Aug 6, 2018
32 posts
30 upvotes
vancityguy0 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 12:29 am
Anyone know what the average age group of passengers is?

Do these types of cruise deals attract bored seniors?

Or is it a complete frat house on board with puke flying in all directions?
We just got off a Holland America boat from San Diego to Vancouver. Average age was 40-50
Aug 6, 2018
32 posts
30 upvotes
kmchow wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 1:33 am
Good suggestion to bring your own gravol just in case. It's a shame they didn't include at least one stop along the way.
I just got off a Holland America boat from San Diego to Vancouver. We had 1 stop - which was Victoria. Plus Holland America provides gravol - just ask at the front desk. I've done many cruises and the water is rougher along the coast
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2369 posts
1280 upvotes
GVRD
I actually took a reposition cruise from YVR to LAX, Princess as well. Since we are frequent cruise-goer, Princess is like any mainstream cruise-line... it is expected to be an a-la-carte. We enjoyed the 3 days on the boat and did almost all the free stuff on there and paid for a few classes. For the price we paid, under $80 a night and well fed, nothing to be complained.
May 26, 2011
544 posts
320 upvotes
Has anybody here gotten on this deal?
Koodo, booking.com, airbnb, AMEX, Great Canadian Rebates (GCR), Ebates, Top Cash Back, Groupon, Livingsocial, Doordash, SkipTheDishes, Drop, meridian, TransferWise, Questrade, EQ, Achieva, PayTM and Tangerine customer.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2007
2786 posts
1940 upvotes
No Bum Deals
vancityguy0 wrote:
Apr 25th, 2019 12:29 am
bored seniors with puke flying in all directions?
yup.
🢂 😃 🢀
Dec 18, 2017
741 posts
1341 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
pooper wrote:
May 13th, 2019 9:01 pm
yup.
Face With Tears Of Joy Well I'm glad I didn't end up buying tix then! No regrets there at all.
Don't request PMs in your signature - Mods
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4378 posts
955 upvotes
Regina
would love a repo cruise deal...flights to/from central canada kill most of the deals