• Last Updated:
  • Aug 4th, 2020 6:56 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 13, 2005
1105 posts
551 upvotes
Toronto, ON

5G in Canada

How widespread 5G will be in Canada in the next 2 years? If I get a 4G LTE phone now am I making a mistake?
44 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
35797 posts
9141 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I wouldn’t worry about 5G, I know Rogers is offering the service for free right now and it plans to start charging extra for it at some point

Stick with LTE until 5G becomes main stream and they offer it for free. That is at least 5 years away.

Unless you need the bandwidth of 5G, I wouldn’t worry about it
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3566 posts
1495 upvotes
Toronto
To me, 5G means more expensive service plans...
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9006 posts
2973 upvotes
Toronto
iverson wrote: How widespread 5G will be in Canada in the next 2 years? If I get a 4G LTE phone now am I making a mistake?
No. 5G network is a while away yet and 5G services are even further away. Remember, Canada is a laggard when it comes to both technology roll-out and advanced services.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
20958 posts
10472 upvotes
Oakville
Even if 5G gets rolled out nationwide, look at it this way - are you happy with LTE performance? Yes? Then who cares about 5G?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
20998 posts
7331 upvotes
Toronto
wearysky wrote: Even if 5G gets rolled out nationwide, look at it this way - are you happy with LTE performance? Yes? Then who cares about 5G?
Am I happy with LTE speed? Yes.

Am I happy with LTE congestion in some areas? No.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
20958 posts
10472 upvotes
Oakville
EugW wrote: Am I happy with LTE speed? Yes.

Am I happy with LTE congestion in some areas? No.
LTE congestion would be something that I consider a part of "LTE performance".
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1445 posts
2015 upvotes
Waterloo Region
LTE congestion? Interesting
I have a theory that the carriers do this on purpose for us to upgrade. I remember 3G speeds used to adequate in 2013. Then came LTE and 3G became super sluggish
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9006 posts
2973 upvotes
Toronto
Gangsta101 wrote: LTE congestion? Interesting
I have a theory that the carriers do this on purpose for us to upgrade. I remember 3G speeds used to adequate in 2013. Then came LTE and 3G became super sluggish
Prompts me to ask: what are you doing with your phone?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
20958 posts
10472 upvotes
Oakville
Gangsta101 wrote: LTE congestion? Interesting
I have a theory that the carriers do this on purpose for us to upgrade. I remember 3G speeds used to adequate in 2013. Then came LTE and 3G became super sluggish
Or, two other possibilities:
1 - 3G just feels slow to you now, in comparison to LTE (for most people, this is primarily a latency issue - I actually still occasionally get faster actual speeds on 3G than I do LTE)
2 - you're doing more data-heavy things now than you were back in the 3G days
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9006 posts
2973 upvotes
Toronto
Gangsta101 wrote: LTE congestion? Interesting
I have a theory that the carriers do this on purpose for us to upgrade. I remember 3G speeds used to adequate in 2013. Then came LTE and 3G became super sluggish
Remember, there are multiple flavours of 3G and 4G with very different speeds. On top of that, different devices have different capabilities. So while 3G Basic in practice gave download speed of about 0.5Mbps, 3G HSPA gave 7Mbps. Ditto, 4G LTE Cat 4 gave 150Mbps in practice while 4G LTE Cat 16 gives close to 1Gbps.
Member
User avatar
Jun 15, 2020
318 posts
387 upvotes
Ontario
Can't wait for 5G to roll out, so that Lucky/Public/Chatr start offering "slower" LTE speeds for cheap prices.

Oh wait, this is Canada, that'll probably never happen.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 2, 2010
694 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
MrBear2019 wrote: Can't wait for 5G to roll out, so that Lucky/Public/Chatr start offering "slower" LTE speeds for cheap prices.

Oh wait, this is Canada, that'll probably never happen.
What? All three Lucky/Public/Chatr already offer LTE at 3 Mbps speeds.
TELUS: Unlimited 25 $37.50/25GB x 2 (50 GB pooled data)
AT&T Prepaid Unlimited MAX: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, ?? GB data
Member
User avatar
Jun 15, 2020
318 posts
387 upvotes
Ontario
TheNightOwl wrote: What? All three Lucky/Public/Chatr already offer LTE at 3 Mbps speeds.
Not what I meant. I'm talking about Tier 3 carriers switching to LTE speeds. "Slower" was in quotes since LTE would be considered "slower" than 5G.

(I'm aware of the fact that these carriers still run on LTE networks but have their speeds capped)
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2903 posts
963 upvotes
Does anybody know what part of Toronto 5G is available in? Curious to see what the fuss is, but I have not driven in the downtown area, but the outskirts like Scarborough, N.York, etc...
Sr. Member
User avatar
Jun 2, 2010
694 posts
380 upvotes
Toronto
redsfan wrote: Does anybody know what part of Toronto 5G is available in? Curious to see what the fuss is, but I have not driven in the downtown area, but the outskirts like Scarborough, N.York, etc...
Rogers is mostly in central Toronto, but also patches here and there like the Scarborough Town Centre area.

Rogers 5G coverage map: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireles ... verage-map

Bell has far more 5G coverage in the GTA, but they still have lots of holes to fill in.

Bell 5G coverage map:
https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Our_network/5G
TELUS: Unlimited 25 $37.50/25GB x 2 (50 GB pooled data)
AT&T Prepaid Unlimited MAX: Unlimited talk & text in and between the U.S., Canada, & Mexico, ?? GB data
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 26, 2003
37162 posts
5166 upvotes
Winnipeg
What is the point of 5g? is it just speed? Same with the internet, once the line hit certain bandwidth I stopped caring about any higher speed. Like I'm using 300mbit connection now but I could care less after 100mbit.
WTB amazon gc @90%
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2008
2903 posts
963 upvotes
TheNightOwl wrote: Rogers is mostly in central Toronto, but also patches here and there like the Scarborough Town Centre area.

Rogers 5G coverage map: https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireles ... verage-map

Bell has far more 5G coverage in the GTA, but they still have lots of holes to fill in.

Bell 5G coverage map:
https://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Our_network/5G
I would imagine it will expand like the other in time...not a good idea to constantly look down at Google Maps while driving, lol
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 28, 2013
20958 posts
10472 upvotes
Oakville
divx wrote: What is the point of 5g? is it just speed? Same with the internet, once the line hit certain bandwidth I stopped caring about any higher speed. Like I'm using 300mbit connection now but I could care less after 100mbit.
Better latency and higher capacity are the two biggest benefits, and I think rural broadband will benefit from it as well. In all honesty? Living in the suburbs of Toronto, I don't have any issues with speed, latency or capacity. So I'm very much looking forward to full-speed LTE being considered the "slow" mobile internet option (in about a decade).

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)