• Last Updated:
  • Feb 13th, 2022 10:25 pm
[OP]
Feb 28, 2009
887 posts
541 upvotes
Ottawa

$5K Fine? Change to Land Border Entry Requirements

The federal government has updated their "Testing for Travelers" page. They will not deny entry to Canadians but are threatening that there can be up to a $5000 fine per traveler if presenting a positive test for reentry at a land border. They want those who test positive to remain in the U.S. for 15 days (11 days starting January 15, 2022)before returning.

Looks like this is a change that was made in the last day or so. Prior to this change, Canadians were able to enter Canada with a positive test result but needed to have a quarantine plan in place.

The other change effective January 15 is that those who test positive would be able to enter on the 11th day instead of 15th day.

So, reducing the time by 4 days but introducing a fine of $5,000.

This means you’re basically stuck in the states for 11 days if you or someone in your party tests positive.

https://travel.gc.ca/travel-covid/trave ... nto-canada
Last edited by WGretzky on Jan 14th, 2022 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
166 replies
Oct 22, 2016
882 posts
799 upvotes
Comox Valley
Thanks for the updated. Those rules were on my mind, as I was thinking of going there for a couple weeks (road trip).
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3814 posts
613 upvotes
This is going to slow a few people Down from heading south
[OP]
Feb 28, 2009
887 posts
541 upvotes
Ottawa
User452441 wrote: Thanks for the updated. Those rules were on my mind, as I was thinking of going there for a couple weeks (road trip).
Same here. This may kill a lot of plans for people - prior to this change, the advantage of driving was the ability to cross the border while being (god forbid) COVID positive. The only requirement was to have a quarantine plan in place and people could isolate at home. Now, one would still be able to cross the border while being positive, but would be subject to a $5K fine. Alternatively, spend 11 days In a hotel in the states (although you’d only have to isolate for 5 days with the new guidance )
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4597 posts
1987 upvotes
Durham Region
If I was in that situation, I would make the trip home and worry about fighting the fine in court later should I be stuck with one. Denying or discouraging entry by Canadian citizens falls on very questionable charter grounds and I suspect the crown would ultimately drop it rather than litigate.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13397 posts
2654 upvotes
Toronto
Wow this sucks big time and makes absolutely no sense. This government is really messed up. Im travelling anyways and will happily fight the fine. I had a previous infection and it will show up on a PCR, but im not contagious. I have no record of the pcr since it was a rapid test. So now i have to get a pcr test to prove i had covid despite having the booster shot. How is it even legal to fine canadians entering back home with a positive result? There must be people out there who cant afford to stay in the US and isolate. Not everyone travelling is going on holidays. They should have stuck to their isolation rule if coming back positive. Omicron is already raging and these travel rules do nothing at all.
Last edited by trixstar on Jan 13th, 2022 1:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sep 12, 2017
56 posts
117 upvotes
Has anyone seen any news stories about this? Figured it would be big news as it essentially stops citizens from driving across the border.
Nov 15, 2008
447 posts
181 upvotes
Vancouver
SilentKeh wrote: Has anyone seen any news stories about this? Figured it would be big news as it essentially stops citizens from driving across the border.
I thought so, too, but a quick google search didn't turn up anything of note.

FWIW, there's a recent post about this on a BC-specific travel group on FB. Oddly, the thought seems to be testing positive is perfectly fine if you're traveling back to Canada via land, meaning no risk of a fine, just go immediately to your quarantine place. I reviewed the gov't page and it doesn't seem to make any provisions for land crossings, so not sure why at least 2 posts in said thread believe it to be so.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13397 posts
2654 upvotes
Toronto
Could this be an error? Im wondering if news outlets would be interested in this sneaky update.
Mar 1, 2007
273 posts
199 upvotes
GTA
Clearly not a mistake.

Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2003
2486 posts
500 upvotes
I would call their bluff, re-enter and take my chances with the fine.

My last time re-entering Canada by car was in December the day before they re-instated the PCR test requirement. I actually got a PCR test from Walgreens (just because it was free), but didn't open it until after I crossed the boarder just incase it was positive.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13397 posts
2654 upvotes
Toronto
RideGuy wrote: I would call their bluff, re-enter and take my chances with the fine.

My last time re-entering Canada by car was in December the day before they re-instated the PCR test requirement. I actually got a PCR test from Walgreens (just because it was free), but didn't open it until after I crossed the boarder just incase it was positive.
Has anyone fought these fines and actually won?
Feb 24, 2019
532 posts
813 upvotes
if you tested positive why would you show them that at the border?
Mar 1, 2007
273 posts
199 upvotes
GTA
KingMoobot wrote: if you tested positive why would you show them that at the border?
Until recently, you were still able to return home via land border even if tested positive, just subject to quarantine and such. Now they want you to stay in the US for 11 days before returning if you test positive.
Oct 13, 2011
766 posts
502 upvotes
I wonder why they said
but you may be fined $5,000 per traveller
instead of
"but you will be fined $5,000 per traveller"
Does that mean they have discretion?

Also, if I'm reading this correctly, someone who was tested positive could come and go as they wish and not subject to any test?
a positive result for a COVID-19 molecular test that was taken 15 to 180 days (starting January 15, 2022, between 11 and 180 days) before entering Canada
So what's the point of vaccination? Instead they should just go for heard immunity, get everyone infected and test positive and life would return to normal for these people????
Sep 20, 2011
84 posts
40 upvotes
Courtice
Rothesay wrote: I wonder why they said instead of Does that mean they have discretion?

Also, if I'm reading this correctly, someone who was tested positive could come and go as they wish and not subject to any test?

So what's the point of vaccination? Instead they should just go for heard immunity, get everyone infected and test positive and life would return to normal for these people????
Yep. Now they are making it more advantageous to actually get COVID. You can come and go as you please for 6 months after Face With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2014
2253 posts
2618 upvotes
Toronto, ON
drevil0208 wrote: Yep. Now they are making it more advantageous to actually get COVID. You can come and go as you please for 6 months after Face With Tears Of Joy
Any idea how the process works for PCR positive testings up to 90 days after getting covid?

Also for those exposed to people with covid and never got tested that can still test positive up to 90 days?

Ontario Gov stopped all testing end of Dec unless for certain groups/professions. You could have got omicron on Dec and still be testing positive now waaaaaay after receiving the OK from Public Health to stop isolating

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)