Personal Finance

5K Laser Eye Surgery - wait or go for it?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 12th, 2019 5:06 pm
[OP]
Jul 17, 2014
104 posts
34 upvotes
Canada

5K Laser Eye Surgery - wait or go for it?

Hey Folks,

I am debating whether to perform laser eye surgery. I am a student and it would cost me 5K out of pocket.
Should I wait until I get a job (ideally it would be in Engineering) for which then the procedure will be covered by insurance?

Can you please share with me whether if you work in Engineering and your company covers this surgery?

Thank you.
64 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2491 posts
915 upvotes
Woodbridge
To the best of my knowledge, it doesnt depend on the field of your work but rather who is your "Extended Insurance provider" and the terms negotiated with the company.
sakonpure6 wrote: Hey Folks,

I am debating whether to perform laser eye surgery. I am a student and it would cost me 5K out of pocket.
Should I wait until I get a job (ideally it would be in Engineering) for which then the procedure will be covered by insurance?

Can you please share with me whether if you work in Engineering and your company covers this surgery?

Thank you.
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
[OP]
Jul 17, 2014
104 posts
34 upvotes
Canada
So technically, there is no guarantee that my future employer is going to cover the surgery.
and I won't go around choosing employers based on their insurance plan lol

Thank you, I think I will go ahead and do it, money comes and goes (but it can be stressful)
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
2491 posts
915 upvotes
Woodbridge
I don;t know how urgent and how important your eye surgery is. If it can wait, than MAY BE you will get lucky and have it covered. If not you can always pay.
sakonpure6 wrote: So technically, there is no guarantee that my future employer is going to cover the surgery.

Thank you, I think I will go ahead and do it, money comes and goes (but it can be stressful)
HVAC Professional. Committed to customer, not brand.
Humidifier 2020 Group Buy
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2011
1001 posts
1066 upvotes
Toronto
Like others have said, it depends on the organization and the benefit plan you pick. At our organization, they only cover up to $500 for laser eye surgery.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1064 posts
491 upvotes
Torontario
tonershop wrote: Like others have said, it depends on the organization and the benefit plan you pick. At our organization, they only cover up to $500 for laser eye surgery.
That is correct - vision coverage usually is up to $500 for 2 YR and even more usual is $400 / 2yr period. Those can be used for Lasik/PRK readily.

Now if you are starting jobs (and you already have benefits from somebody else), then you may have the option of putting all in HSA (Health Spending account) - you can use the whole annual amount for it.
The rest I believe you can put on your tax-return...but don't quote me that.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2007
1064 posts
491 upvotes
Torontario
and btw - if you are paying 5K for Lasik, you are need to negotiate better as true RFDer :)
If that's PRK, you probably go down to $4K something
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19461 posts
3519 upvotes
Toronto
sakonpure6 wrote: So technically, there is no guarantee that my future employer is going to cover the surgery.

I've never worked at a company that includes it in the benefits plan. They cover glasses and contacts, but never laser surgery.
May 31, 2006
74 posts
28 upvotes
GTA
A student? You're still young then. Has your prescription been steady and unchanging in the last 5-10 years? If not, then it might be a bit early to get surgery. This is something that you want to be sure to do only once in your life ;)
Aug 17, 2013
696 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
I say do it. Best thing I have done in my life. Only thing i regret is not doing it earlier.

PRK/Lasik and braces are the most essential thing IMO.
Deal Addict
May 4, 2014
4719 posts
5727 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Wait a few more years and you may start seeing Laser Surgery threads in the Hot Deals section.

Maybe even with 10% Ebates on good days.
Jan 19, 2018
915 posts
610 upvotes
Is there any reason you can't wait? If you end up working at a company that provides insurance coverage that will cover it, you can end up saving hundreds if not thousands.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 5, 2006
5793 posts
2805 upvotes
Global Village
yang wrote: A student? You're still young then. Has your prescription been steady and unchanging in the last 5-10 years? If not, then it might be a bit early to get surgery. This is something that you want to be sure to do only once in your life ;)
vision changes with age so it would be smart to expect post-lasik vision deterioration again after 20 years or so.
All day I dream about sports
Jun 30, 2009
303 posts
151 upvotes
yang wrote: A student? You're still young then. Has your prescription been steady and unchanging in the last 5-10 years? If not, then it might be a bit early to get surgery. This is something that you want to be sure to do only once in your life ;)
You need a prescription change of < 0.50 D over one year to be considered stable for the procedure. Often you can look to see if they have a warranty to have an enhancement done (same procedure years later at no cost).
Jun 30, 2009
303 posts
151 upvotes
scoper wrote: vision changes with age so it would be smart to expect post-lasik vision deterioration again after 20 years or so.
You should expect to need glasses for night driving 10-15 years post procedure. Not to mention reading glasses /bifocals after 40 (sometimes earlier as Lasik is known to speed up presbyopia). I would still go for it if I was a candidate.
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2011
3526 posts
20017 upvotes
I don’t think there was mention of how old your are and which procedure you want to go with.
Nov 14, 2014
52 posts
20 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Piro21 wrote: I've never worked at a company that includes it in the benefits plan. They cover glasses and contacts, but never laser surgery.
I got it done in January, was able to use my vision coverage towards it for about $500, plus my whole health spending account to cover a large portion of the rest.

[removed]

[...] I feel like it's one of the best things I've ever spent my money on.
Last edited by Mars2012 on May 31st, 2019 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote and part of your response removed
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2018
1914 posts
1013 upvotes
If you work for an American Company that gives an HMO you can potentially get free lasik, fyi I had it done, the advanced whatever whatever

Totally worth it, i see like a hawk a mile away, only issue I experience from time to time is dry eye, drops solve it
Deal Guru
May 8, 2009
14073 posts
11728 upvotes
Not Leask
If paying out of pocket, perhaps get it done in Thailand? Surely the price drop will offset the airfare.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]