[Princess Auto] $6-$10 => 50% off Full Extension Drawer slides [for a pair]

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 28th, 2020 9:38 am
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9411 posts
4855 upvotes
Paris
gr8dlr wrote: Brant Custom Wood - excellent everyday low price...the 22" is $9.50 [$9 each if you buy 10]. How do they sell it so cheap everyday?

Princess Auto on sale is better at $8.49 ea for the 22" when it's 50% off.
I dont know why they are so cheap. I have bought slides that look the same from Lee Valley and the difference as far as I can tell is that the BCW ones dont come with instructions or screws (I didnt use the screws that came with the Lee Valley ones anyways as they were either too long or too short).

Finding them at BCW made my original huge pull out drawer project possible in my own kitchen. I even removed the kick plate from the island and installed a huge drawer just for flat oven pans and muffin tins.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 25, 2007
9411 posts
4855 upvotes
Paris
gr8dlr wrote: For ppl reading this thread...Ana White posted a new way to do the drawers and this way is easier IMO.

While the pieces she uses does make it easier for someone to get started, what happens when you need a piece of 1-1/8” or whatever? Unless you have a planer (and even if you have 2 like me) the dowel spacer method makes more sense that way. I painted my 1-1/2” dowel white and just cut off pieces of whatever I need.

For measuring the gap you need, these are invaluable https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... em=27K0745
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11682 posts
6601 upvotes
Markham
Jerico wrote: While the pieces she uses does make it easier for someone to get started, what happens when you need a piece of 1-1/8” or whatever? Unless you have a planer (and even if you have 2 like me) the dowel spacer method makes more sense that way. I painted my 1-1/2” dowel white and just cut off pieces of whatever I need.

For measuring the gap you need, these are invaluable https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/shop/to ... em=27K0745
Never seen those "shims" like that before.

Found these 120 flat U shims for $10USD

https://www.amazon.com/Broadfix-Revolut ... R5B8P5NNKN
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
Jan 16, 2009
2116 posts
474 upvotes
Kelowna
Jerico wrote: I did this about 10 years ago. I found the best shims were actually a dowel rod so you can cut off the right amount you need to shim the drawer perfectly. I also used cabinet grade ply and poly-ed it for my house, then for my parents I used cheaper cabinet grade ply and just painted them. Whenever I do them for friends now I just paint them, as its super easy to clean and they are inside cupboards, not visible all the time.

Also, these are significantly cheaper at Brant Custom Wood for those of you within an hour of them (Toronto to London). https://www.bcwlumberandplywood.com/pro ... er-slides/

I found someone giving away a bunch of cabinet drawers for free when they redid their kitchen and I modified/shimmed them to work as pull outs. Materials were all basically free, I had all the tools, it just took time!
Sep 21, 2007
393 posts
215 upvotes
Canada
General question for the audience: My drawer seems to prefer the open position. If I close the drawer and walk away, I come back and it is now open. Does this mean I installed it improperly, or the slides are worn out, or it's too heavy, or something else?

What's the fix?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can share.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
11682 posts
6601 upvotes
Markham
gadgetman wrote: General question for the audience: My drawer seems to prefer the open position. If I close the drawer and walk away, I come back and it is now open. Does this mean I installed it improperly, or the slides are worn out, or it's too heavy, or something else?

What's the fix?

Thanks in advance for any tips you can share.
The full extension slides (the ones posted here)I have a soft lock ie you need to give it a slight push to close it completely and similarly when you open it, it requires a slight pull to disengage it.

Regardless if your's have a soft lock or not, the most likely reason the drawer opens or continues to open more and more -> it's not level.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!