• Feb 10th, 2017 10:12 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto

6.5 hours layover @ Dubai

Travelling alone with my 6 year old and wondering if we can do a little sightseeing instead of waiting around the airport.

Flight will get there at 7:25 and we have a 6 hour 20 mins layover. After a 12 hour flight I'm thinking the "exploring" will be appreciated as we have another 5 hours of flight after. Marhaba lounge is our backup but a few questions.

-As canadian citizens do we require any additional paper work/visa to get out?
-Any place to keep our carry ons should we decide to explore the city?
-Can I simply get out of the airport and grab a taxi to see a few places? Are there specific taxis to look out for? As I'm travelling with our 6 year old, I want to feel as safe as possible lol
-I'm travelling with US dollars and obviously CND CC, do the taxi's accept US dollars? Or do I have to exchange currency? This becomes a issue as I dont want to exchange too much or too little and don't want to be stuck with a currency I have no use for.

My Plan is get out of the plane, get the $15 shower access at Marhaba lounge. Freshen up and head out and be back after a max of 2 hours driving around the city (Dont want to spend too much time, just be able to see and click a few photos) and should be back to the airport no later than 11:30pm.

Other obvious option is to just sit around Marhaba lounge the entire time which I think will be much harder.
6 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2007
3879 posts
298 upvotes
Toronto
Bump, leaving tonight so would appreciate a few personal experiences. Thanks
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2010
3364 posts
1638 upvotes
Montreal
No experience in Dubai but you'll have to waste some time at immigration to exit, take a taxi for 20-30 minutes at least and then be back at the airport 2-3 hours before your flight. That leaves you with 2 hours to "enjoy" Dubai.

Personally I wouldn't do it, I'd just stay at the lounge and relax instead of running around.
Aug 23, 2016
60 posts
9 upvotes
mmhassa2 wrote: Travelling alone with my 6 year old and wondering if we can do a little sightseeing instead of waiting around the airport.

Flight will get there at 7:25 and we have a 6 hour 20 mins layover. After a 12 hour flight I'm thinking the "exploring" will be appreciated as we have another 5 hours of flight after. Marhaba lounge is our backup but a few questions.

-As canadian citizens do we require any additional paper work/visa to get out?
-Any place to keep our carry ons should we decide to explore the city?
-Can I simply get out of the airport and grab a taxi to see a few places? Are there specific taxis to look out for? As I'm travelling with our 6 year old, I want to feel as safe as possible lol
-I'm travelling with US dollars and obviously CND CC, do the taxi's accept US dollars? Or do I have to exchange currency? This becomes a issue as I dont want to exchange too much or too little and don't want to be stuck with a currency I have no use for.

My Plan is get out of the plane, get the $15 shower access at Marhaba lounge. Freshen up and head out and be back after a max of 2 hours driving around the city (Dont want to spend too much time, just be able to see and click a few photos) and should be back to the airport no later than 11:30pm.

Other obvious option is to just sit around Marhaba lounge the entire time which I think will be much harder.
1) yes you do need visa to enter Dubai. last time I was there was in 2012, we had a 8hr stopover in Dubai. We flew on Emirates and from what I know any stopover more then 4hours they provide you with a hotel/food which included entry visa if not you have to pay for it.
2) finding a taxi that's authorized by the airport is the best way around, you can find one outside of the airport. also soon as you pick up your bags and walk out you will see a lot of tour companies.
3) I personally use USD as its accepted everywhere, but don't expect to get change back in USD.

hope this helps.
Jan 2, 2014
106 posts
38 upvotes
Oshawa
Info from 2016 (Was there in Feb on a 5 hour layover).

1. As a Canadian you get ETA (visa on arrival) no special paperwork or anything - BUT it took an hour an a half from plane touch down into a cab.
2. There is luggage storage in the airport close to where you get the taxi
3. Yes or you can get the subway
4. We got some Dirham before we left (about $100 cad worth)

I'd say if you have 6 hours you should be OK as long as you don't plan on doing anything with huge lines (i.e. going up the burj). As for freshening up I'd leave that for when you get back from the city as it's brutally hot.

Good luck, I went up and down the Burj on a 5 hour layover but I wouldn't do that again. If you end up going to the mall ensure you know exactly where the tax pick up area is, BECAUSE it's a huge mall with several pick up areas but only one my be operating at the time.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
9787 posts
2854 upvotes
Vancouver
longcmt wrote: Info from 2016 (Was there in Feb on a 5 hour layover).

1. As a Canadian you get ETA (visa on arrival) no special paperwork or anything - BUT it took an hour an a half from plane touch down into a cab.
2. There is luggage storage in the airport close to where you get the taxi
3. Yes or you can get the subway
4. We got some Dirham before we left (about $100 cad worth)

I'd say if you have 6 hours you should be OK as long as you don't plan on doing anything with huge lines (i.e. going up the burj). As for freshening up I'd leave that for when you get back from the city as it's brutally hot.

Good luck, I went up and down the Burj on a 5 hour layover but I wouldn't do that again. If you end up going to the mall ensure you know exactly where the tax pick up area is, BECAUSE it's a huge mall with several pick up areas but only one my be operating at the time.
I only flew through Abu Dhabi but I had considered forcing a stop over. To my knowledge no visa is required for Canadian passports less than 30 day, just a free stamp.

That's what the government of Canada says anyways. There was a visa in the past as Emirates were upset with Canada over a few things like landing rights at Pearson.

https://travel.gc.ca/destinations/united-arab-emirates

Visas

Tourist visa: not required
Business visa: required
Student visa: required

Canadian passport holders must obtain an entry stamp, free of charge and valid for a 30-day visit, at any port of entry.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Guru
Dec 30, 2004
13033 posts
833 upvotes
Toronto
Stopped by Dubai a few times, once on my own and last time was over a year ago with parents (we took a taxi for the whole day)

-Taxis are very safe in Dubai. They must follow the taxi rates on the side of the taxi or they face jail time/deportation. Just ask the taxi driver if they can take you a tour of the city.. most are willing to do it.

-For quick picture places, Jumeirah Beach to take pictures of Burj Al Arab, and Burj Khalifa to see the fountain show / Dubai Mall . Tell you taxi guy when to pick you right back up as they usually can't stay at the stop where they drop you off at.