• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2021 8:34 pm
[OP]
May 21, 2008
809 posts
106 upvotes
Ottawa

6 Weeks rental in Scarborough

Wife will be going for her nursing clinicals with Scarborough hospital. Since we are from Ottawa so frequent travel won't be possible. We are looking for about 6 weeks house/place rental. Do you think it will be cheaper to go with hotel/motel or Airbnb or something else? Prefer to have kitchen for easy access to food. Any recommendations please?
13 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16720 posts
14045 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Truth … you are gonna have to do your own research / shop around

Look at AirBnBs, VRBO etc
And compare that to what are known as Apartment Hotels / Extended Stay Hotels
That are set up intentionally for longer term stays
Most cities / suburbs have either their own local brands, or more known hotel chain brands:
Things like…
HILTON = Homewood Suites - Home2Suites
MARRIOTT = Residence Inn
IHG Group = Staybridge Suites - Candlewood Suites
CHOICE = MainStay Suites
Etc

Personally, I have used Homewood Suites, and Residence Inns when I was working and needed to be in a city not my own for some duration. Quite pleased with both those. And can recommend.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2019
2619 posts
19398 upvotes
yanksingh wrote: Wife will be going for her nursing clinicals with Scarborough hospital. Since we are from Ottawa so frequent travel won't be possible. We are looking for about 6 weeks house/place rental. Do you think it will be cheaper to go with hotel/motel or Airbnb or something else? Prefer to have kitchen for easy access to food. Any recommendations please?
Is she the only one from the Ottawa area doing her clinical in Scarborough?

Can she share with another student or perhaps ask what previous students did when faced with the same situation.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 6, 2002
8895 posts
1807 upvotes
Vancouver
Scarborough is famous for its Kingston road highway 2 stretch of dump motels. I’m sure you can get a great deal. Maybe avoid the “have a nap” lol

If you want something nicer it’s been a while since I’ve been in Toronto but that hotel at 401/Kennedy had a nice aquatic facility assuming it’s open.
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5806 posts
2647 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: HILTON = Homewood Suites - Home2Suites
MARRIOTT = Residence Inn
IHG Group = Staybridge Suites - Candlewood Suites
CHOICE = MainStay Suites
Etc

Personally, I have used Homewood Suites, and Residence Inns when I was working and needed to be in a city not my own for some duration. Quite pleased with both those. And can recommend.
To add to this, @yanksingh - call them and talk to their reservations person directly. Booking on the website is designed for regular travelers, which you are not. If you speak to a reservations manager at the hotel itself, they are very likely to give you a better rate for a long term stay, especially right now.
Dec 1, 2008
345 posts
92 upvotes
Windsor
When we had an essential need to be closer to a hospital out of town from us for 4 weeks, we decided to splurge and make it a covid vacation. We booked a really fancy beach house for 4 weeks and got a killer deal because they were having a hard time renting it out during lockdown anyway.

It was worth every penny.

In these times, I'd be more inclined to rent a standalone house instead of a hotel/motel simply because there's less chance of covid exposure.

That said, extended stay places will have free (prepacked) breakfast which might be nice for the convenience. When my cousin had to hotel it for a couple of months, her whole family loved the free breakfast buffet every morning - one meal less to cook!
No external links or advertising allowed in sigs
Dec 1, 2008
345 posts
92 upvotes
Windsor
When we had an essential need to be closer to a hospital out of town from us for 4 weeks, we decided to splurge and make it a covid vacation. We booked a really fancy beach house for 4 weeks and got a killer deal because they were having a hard time renting it out during lockdown anyway.

In these times, I'd be more inclined to rent a standalone house instead of a hotel/motel simply because there's less chance of covid exposure.

Another time (precovid) when we had to be near a non-local hospital for 6 weeks, it was cheapest to rent a room in a shared house with access to the kitchen via Airbnb. It was just DH and I along with the owner and we negotiated a substantial discount for our 1 month stay. Because it was just 3ppl in the house and our host worked, we had easy access to the kitchen and just made an effort to finish dinner before she got home.

That said, extended stay places will have free (prepacked) breakfast which might be nice for the convenience. When my cousin had to hotel it for a couple of months, her whole family loved the free breakfast buffet every morning - one meal less to cook!
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16720 posts
14045 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Manatus wrote: To add to this, @yanksingh - call them and talk to their reservations person directly. Booking on the website is designed for regular travelers, which you are not. If you speak to a reservations manager at the hotel itself, they are very likely to give you a better rate for a long term stay, especially right now.
This

More so … if you are a member of their Loyalty Program (FREE to join)
Have your membership # in hand when you make the call to the front desk (not central booking)
Front Desk Staff & local hotel Mgmt Team have the ability to override whatever prices the system auto generates
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16720 posts
14045 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
m2m wrote: When we had an essential need to be closer to a hospital out of town from us for 4 weeks, we decided to splurge and make it a covid vacation. We booked a really fancy beach house for 4 weeks and got a killer deal because they were having a hard time renting it out during lockdown anyway.

Another time (precovid) when we had to be near a non-local hospital for 6 weeks, it was cheapest to rent a room in a shared house with access to the kitchen via Airbnb. It was just DH and I along with the owner and we negotiated a substantial discount for our 1 month stay. Because it was just 3ppl in the house and our host worked, we had easy access to the kitchen and just made an effort to finish dinner before she got home.

Good post

And in addition to FREE Breakfasts
Some of the Extended Stay Hotels … like Hilton Homewood Suites
Also tend offer up a FREE Weeknight Managers Get Together over the dinner hour (M - TH )
That includes Beer, Wine, Nibbles, and a set Main Course of the Day
(Things like … Pasta & Sauce - Sirfry - Meat Loaf & Sides etc )

Those FREEBIES can add up

And most are still offering them during Covid
Just the delivery might be different
(served vs buffet … to take back to your room vs the Breakfast or Dining Room )

Add in Membership pricing, points & perks
Plus amenities … Full Kitchens or Kitchenettes, Pools, Hottubs, Fitness Centres, Laundry facilities etc
And stays can become very attractive at these Extended Hotels
[OP]
May 21, 2008
809 posts
106 upvotes
Ottawa
Thank you very much you all. Seems like I have some homework to do now. Thanks again for giving me some direction.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2020
4866 posts
4733 upvotes
Toronto
GangStarr wrote: Scarborough is famous for its Kingston road highway 2 stretch of dump motels. I’m sure you can get a great deal. Maybe avoid the “have a nap” lol

If you want something nicer it’s been a while since I’ve been in Toronto but that hotel at 401/Kennedy had a nice aquatic facility assuming it’s open.
Kingston Road is undergoing gentrification. Not many motels left.

"Weekly tenants contribute steady money to Kingston Road motels, but the city wants them all closed, one by one, to gentrify the area, Jordan said."
from 'Nobodies' living at Scarborough motels now have until March 1 to leave
Mar 10, 2004
720 posts
246 upvotes
Best to find a place with a kitchen . 6 weeks of eating out is no fun.
[OP]
May 21, 2008
809 posts
106 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks everyone. I was able to find a place at airbnb. It is close to Scarborough hospital and price is decent.
Dec 1, 2008
345 posts
92 upvotes
Windsor
That's great! Hope you all manage to fit in some fun during your 6 weeks there.