• Last Updated:
  • Jun 2nd, 2020 8:35 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Mar 18, 2019
15 posts
4 upvotes

Which 65" TV to purchase?

Looking for some advice or input on which brand/model of 65" TV to purchase. Criteria is as follows:

-Budget is around $1500.
-Primary use case is for streaming sports and streaming movies.
-Don't have any video games consoles to connect.
-Don't have any cable/satellite boxes for regular TV viewing.

Any suggestions on models to consider based on this criteria?
7 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 8, 2001
6115 posts
74 upvotes
Ottawa
Interested here too in answers as the needs you have are similar to mine.

My viewing distance is 15 feet, and I could go for something bigger. How far are you from your tv?!
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11729 posts
7994 upvotes
Edmonton
BodyCount wrote: Looking for some advice or input on which brand/model of 65" TV to purchase. Criteria is as follows:

-Budget is around $1500.
-Primary use case is for streaming sports and streaming movies.
-Don't have any video games consoles to connect.
-Don't have any cable/satellite boxes for regular TV viewing.

Any suggestions on models to consider based on this criteria?
You don’t specify what/how you’re streaming. Do you want 4K HDR (for the movies in particular). I’m pretty happy with my Sony 65” 900e. It also does a good job of upscaling lower resolution input (I.e. showing 1080 content on the 4K display).

C
[OP]
Mar 18, 2019
15 posts
4 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: You don’t specify what/how you’re streaming. Do you want 4K HDR (for the movies in particular). I’m pretty happy with my Sony 65” 900e. It also does a good job of upscaling lower resolution input (I.e. showing 1080 content on the 4K display).

C
Streaming will be done mainly via PC and/or Amazon Firestick.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11729 posts
7994 upvotes
Edmonton
BodyCount wrote: Streaming will be done mainly via PC and/or Amazon Firestick.
That doesn't really help, because you don't specify what kind of output is available. There's 1080 Firesticks, and 4k Firesticks. Same for PC's, ranging from old VGA resolution up to whatever... And then there's the issues of sources... Netflix is available with 4k HDR. Some other streaming sources are not.

Not trying to be a PITA, but just making you aware that getting the "best" is difficult without enough information. Hey, at least you posted a price and a starting point for what you're looking for! :)

And just as a point of reference... The back of our couch is 9' from the front of our 65" TV, and when it comes to watching movies, personally, I would have liked to have gone up a size (i.e. 75"). But a "quality" picture @ 75" is going to blow your budget.

C
[OP]
Mar 18, 2019
15 posts
4 upvotes
CNeufeld wrote: That doesn't really help, because you don't specify what kind of output is available. There's 1080 Firesticks, and 4k Firesticks. Same for PC's, ranging from old VGA resolution up to whatever... And then there's the issues of sources... Netflix is available with 4k HDR. Some other streaming sources are not.

Not trying to be a PITA, but just making you aware that getting the "best" is difficult without enough information. Hey, at least you posted a price and a starting point for what you're looking for! :)

And just as a point of reference... The back of our couch is 9' from the front of our 65" TV, and when it comes to watching movies, personally, I would have liked to have gone up a size (i.e. 75"). But a "quality" picture @ 75" is going to blow your budget.

C
Right now everything is streaming in 1080p due to the current TV. Amazon Firestick and PC video card both support 4K output so that will be the default going forward (even if most content will be upscaled). Size wise 75" is too big for the wall the TV will be mounted to.

Thanks.
Deal Guru
Mar 23, 2008
11729 posts
7994 upvotes
Edmonton
BodyCount wrote: Right now everything is streaming in 1080p due to the current TV. Amazon Firestick and PC video card both support 4K output so that will be the default going forward (even if most content will be upscaled). Size wise 75" is too big for the wall the TV will be mounted to.

Thanks.
Makes sense. Here’s one of the websites I used to inform myself about the options.

https://www.rtings.com/

C
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19995 posts
5377 upvotes
Good Morning
CNeufeld wrote: Makes sense. Here’s one of the websites I used to inform myself about the options.

https://www.rtings.com/

C

I second going to rtings.

With the OPs use case, I would recommend getting a high refresh rate TV with a really good 4K upscaler. Mid-High end Sony TVs tend to do well in this category, starting with the 800, 850, 900 series, the higher numbers are the higher end versions.