• Last Updated:
  • Jun 24th, 2009 2:13 am
Tags:
[OP]
Nov 1, 2003
957 posts
365 upvotes

[Rogers] 6GB $30 is BACK for Android!

Effective June 2, 2009 , any activation of HTC Dream and HTC Magic customers can add the following promotional 3G Smartphone Data plan to a Rogers Wireless Voice plan. Promotion will expire on July 1, 2009.
Salesperson
204 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 15, 2003
4347 posts
180 upvotes
That's nice. Thanks for the headsup
Deal Guru
May 13, 2004
11321 posts
461 upvotes
Toronto
This is apparently NOT IMEI-dependent, so...

Sign up, get the Android, switch handsets, sell the Android, there you go: 6GB/$30 plan, for 3 years.

No point just adding this to your existing plan without getting the new phone: they want you for 3 years, you get the discounted handset. Keep it, sell it, whatever you like.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2004
6365 posts
1001 upvotes
I guess I can't get this plan if I get the BOLD? Damn... I'm stuck to blackberry.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
4749 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
not imei dependent, u can get the plan via social engineering as they say;

and/or get the phone add the plan change phones via sim card..
Nov 26, 2002
236 posts
8 upvotes
Toronto
I woulda thought this was posted long ago as this was confirmed a while back but none the less, you can tether to answer the question.

Rogers will probably reverse that after Apples OS 3.0 comes out which will allow Iphone users to have the ability to tether.

Rogers is doing this cause of the many data devices coming out PLUS the fact that competitors are on there way such as Shaw, etc and apparently word is...their data plans are going to be very aggressive.

I know its early but there is a chance that for once the canadian consumer might be the one to benefit from the marketplace instead of the business.

Then again, I'll believe it myself when I see it.
Jan 10, 2007
967 posts
1 upvote
Google is already pushing their G2 phone, don't waste any money on the crap that is the G1. Also with a new provider coming this seems like an attempt by Rogers to retain more customers. I'll take the wait and see approach but thx OP for the heads up. :)
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
4749 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
who know, maybe like last year we will be able to add it without phone purchase, albeit a 3 year data contract will be compulsory..!!
Sep 16, 2004
812 posts
21 upvotes
Richmond
NeoSlasher wrote: Can the 6gb be used for tethering?
Yes. I have this plan with my Sony K850i, and use it to tether to my Nokia N810 and also my laptop.
Nov 28, 2004
311 posts
chrome_dout wrote: Google is already pushing their G2 phone, don't waste any money on the crap that is the G1. Also with a new provider coming this seems like an attempt by Rogers to retain more customers. I'll take the wait and see approach but thx OP for the heads up. :)
I'll second that. Don't get trapped with a 3 years contract at this point anymore. The carriers know they are in battle mode long ago.
Proud owner of Wii since launch day, Nov 19, 2006.
Wait time: 4 hours
Apr 27, 2008
401 posts
34 upvotes
SnakeEater wrote: I'll second that. Don't get trapped with a 3 years contract at this point anymore. The carriers know they are in battle mode long ago.
I just signed a new contract in August, so chances are they won't give me a cheap phone, or maybe even the deal.

BUT since I'm only 10 months in re-signing for 3 years isn't a horrible thing.
Deal Addict
May 18, 2006
4749 posts
404 upvotes
Toronto
HowEver wrote: Why would you refuse the discounted handset?
for those of us already on contract we don't get access to a subsidized phone...; hence my comment to add the data plan only...
Dec 24, 2006
564 posts
15 upvotes
NeoSlasher wrote: Can the 6gb be used for tethering?
I think so, can someone confirm ?