• Last Updated:
  • Jul 25th, 2018 2:58 pm
[OP]
Dec 25, 2011
355 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto

7 Day trip to Los Angeles

Just wondering what there is to do in Los Angeles. I heard of lots about museums, Disneyland and popular restaurants like in n out, and also some shopping malls.

Planning to go with a group and rent a car.
I have two options, a $100 cheaper older model car where I can only travel to Los Angeles and Orange County
OR
$100 more newer model car and can travel outside of california to multiple states.

Would it be worth the drive to go to Las Vegas or other states. It's my first time visiting America.
While the currency its a huge pain, hoping for the cad currency to go up soon.

Also any tips is greatly appreciated!
13 replies
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5133 posts
2200 upvotes
markham
markerizza wrote: Just wondering what there is to do in Los Angeles. I heard of lots about museums, Disneyland and popular restaurants like in n out, and also some shopping malls.

Planning to go with a group and rent a car.
I have two options, a $100 cheaper older model car where I can only travel to Los Angeles and Orange County
OR
$100 more newer model car and can travel outside of california to multiple states.

Would it be worth the drive to go to Las Vegas or other states. It's my first time visiting America.
While the currency its a huge pain, hoping for the cad currency to go up soon.

Also any tips is greatly appreciated!
do a better search for a car...i rent the wholeweek for $100..unlimited mileage from a big name (thrifty/alamo/hertz)
[OP]
Dec 25, 2011
355 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
cardguy wrote: do a better search for a car...i rent the wholeweek for $100..unlimited mileage from a big name (thrifty/alamo/hertz)
This was the best option for me as I'm under 25, and all these companies charge over $200 fee for young drivers, while this other car rental doesn't have a fee, only for those that are under 21
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2013
5133 posts
2200 upvotes
markham
markerizza wrote: This was the best option for me as I'm under 25, and all these companies charge over $200 fee for young drivers, while this other car rental doesn't have a fee, only for those that are under 21
ahh I see...the old under 25 restriction...i cant help there..at least you might have some option...when i was under 25,,there was NO option that I was aware of....good luck ..i hope it works out for you..btw..vegas flights from LA used to be like $40 ..dont know if they still are
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2011
2254 posts
378 upvotes
Toronto
Tons to do in LA in one week and you still cant see everything. Not sure I would venture out, but a car is a good idea in anycase so you can get around. Theres Hollywood, Universal Studios, Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Beverly Hills, La Brea tar pits, baseball Dodgers or Angels game, Santa Barbara-Drive maybe drive a bit north on pacific coast highway, Santa Monica pier, Mulholland Drive, Sunset Blvd. Theres a lot more too.

I did a two week trip a while ago and we rented a car in LA and spent most of the time there, then drove up the Pacific coast highway to San Francisco and then down and across to the Grand Canyon. For one week I would just stick the the LA area though.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
16627 posts
6887 upvotes
To me, 7 days is not enough to split between Vegas and LA. When you are in the LA area there are many cities / attractions around you that you can enjoy without a 4 hour drive to Vegas, so I would take advantage of that.

If you are driving I would look at using Google Maps for traffic - traffic in LA can be very, very busy.
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2009
10284 posts
8370 upvotes
San Diego is more fun to me than LA and MUCH CLEANER.

More laid back vibe, easier to navigate. Got nicer beaches like Coronado and Mission Beach. Balboa Park with the world famous San Diego zoo. Sunset Cliffs is an amazing place to see. La Jolla is beautiful with a nice beach as well. Legoland for the kids. Also for shopping there's Fashion Valley Mall which is an outdoor mall in San Diego and there's an outlet mall that borders Tijuana (yes... the Mexican wall borders the parking lot, its funny to see all the immigration trucks everywhere).

Just go to Disneyland, 2 days is enough. Stay in Anaheim. South Coast Plaza is the best mall in the So Cal area, if you really want the high end shopping go there, its in Irvine, CA not far from DIsneyland. Laguna is also a really nice beach to go walk around.

In LA really there's the usual Beverly Hills, blah blah but gets boring to look at after like 5 mins and nothing for kids to look at or care for. Hollywood Walk of Fame is the most overrated thing people go to see, its so much traffic and boring, just a bunch of people's name on a sidewalk, big deal (unless your into that). The best thing in LA is Griffith Park for the views and Getty museum if your into that, beautiful art and free. You can also do a movie studio tour for the kids, Sony does them for sure. Universal Studios is cool for the kids, usually more suited for slightly older kids.

Santa Barbara is a nice place to visit as well.

So as you can tell you wont have trouble filling your days with things to do...
[OP]
Dec 25, 2011
355 posts
33 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the recommendation guys. Seems like the best option would be for us to stay in Los Angeles.
It may become overwhelming since its most of our first times there & there are already so many things to look forward to.

Any recommendations when it comes to restaurants & outlet malls?
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2191 posts
196 upvotes
cardguy wrote: do a better search for a car...i rent the wholeweek for $100..unlimited mileage from a big name (thrifty/alamo/hertz)
Lowest I could find was $210/week on various sites. Could you link me to where you find your rentals?
signature removed for rule violations - no referrals allowed
Deal Addict
Nov 14, 2003
4317 posts
2624 upvotes
Gotham
Wilmega wrote: Lowest I could find was $210/week on various sites. Could you link me to where you find your rentals?
Time of year probably factors into the cost. I rented a car, first week of June, C$120 all in for eight days. It would be a different story if it were the last week of June. I used Expedia.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11364 posts
3601 upvotes
Toronto
If you have a week in LA, I would go to San Diego as well, very quiet, clean and beautiful place. I took the Armtrak Train from LA to SD and able to see the oceanview from the train.
Sea World is a must go. We didn't go to the Zoo but visit the Balboa Park, Seaport village and The Gaslamp quarter.

I would pick SD over Vegas if I have to pick one city to out of the trip, Vegas can be a separate trip on its own.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13513 posts
7638 upvotes
Toronto
care to share? Best i found was through Costco which is still about $300 USD for the week.
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1588 posts
655 upvotes
London
Same here, we are looking at going sometime in October and the best rental I could find was $245. Seems like everything costs quite a penny there. I might use hotwire or airbnb for accommodation but things are fluid in the planning stages. Southwest is about $50-60 to fly one way between LA and either SanFran or Vegas, so that is an option if we decide to split. After all my reading on tripadvisor, we are leaning towards the LA/SD split trip and just drive between the two and return the car back to LA to avoid the common drop charge.
Jul 14, 2009
38 posts
2 upvotes
richmond hill
I am also headed to SD/LA in October.

FYI, for those traveling with kids, during the month of October, kids get in to majority of the attractions (museums/parks) in SD for free accompanied by an adult. you can find more details here:

https://www.sandiego.org/promotions/kids-free.aspx