Expired Hot Deals

[7 Eleven] Get a free $25 Cineplex gift card when you buy a $100 Amazon.ca gift card

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2019 1:39 am
Jun 20, 2009
628 posts
144 upvotes
GTA
electronicube wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 7:33 am
I bought $1000 in amazon gift cards (two $500 cards) at this location around 10 PM yesterday and the store still had at least 20 to 30 amazon gift cards and a dozen cineplex gift cards left. Seems unlikely that they were all gone when you called.

The guy was having a hard time activating cards. Had to wait about half an hour as he kept getting error messages when connecting to the server.

I would suggest going to the store to confirm availability.
Hubby went there this morning. They said they don't have them and asked to check back later. I just called and the guy said they have cancelled the promotion.
Sep 12, 2012
658 posts
437 upvotes
Toronto
Krime1k wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 1:22 pm
My theory is that the people behind the desk at 7/11 messed up royally and gave away WAY too many Cineplex gift cards. They likely were supposed to give only one $25 Cineplex gift card per customer and at the $100 minimum purchase of an Amazon card — meaning if someone spent $1000 on Amazon card, they'd still only be entitled to a $25 Cineplex gift card.

The posters advertising the promo made this clear pretty clear, no idea why they were doing things wrong in the first place.
Even if this were the case, it doesn't stop someone from making 5 different $100 purchases if they wanted to get $500 in Amazon gift cards and $125 in Cineplex gift cards. It would just slow down the process at the cash register that's all. Net outcome would still be the same.
Jan 24, 2019
94 posts
61 upvotes
paaji wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 1:39 pm
I checked today morning, employee was removing sign for this promo. She indicated that they received email indicating that this promo is no longer is valid. She said they removed the promo from system.
Thanks bud. That was fast, I kinda wanted to get a couple more considering small purchases add up on Amazon. But $200 is just fine anyway, probably gonna help with impulse buying haha
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2009
1797 posts
462 upvotes
Why are people saying this is dead? I just went and bought some more $100 Amazon cards, got the free $25 Cineplex cards without issue... same location as yesterday, they even put out dozens more Amazon cards. I think it just depends on the location you go to.

If they removed it from the system as the earlier poster said, it wouldn't still automatically deduct the $25 Cineplex card. Maybe there was some memo that not all employees are aware of yet.
Nov 3, 2015
35 posts
6 upvotes
Victoria, BC
I just bought 2 $100 Amazon cards a few minutes ago in Victoria, BC at the 7 Eleven near Hillside Mall and also received 2 $25 Cineplex gift cards for free! I had no problems getting them. This location is very quiet so I thought it would be a good choice.
Deal Addict
Feb 18, 2013
1042 posts
1494 upvotes
Victoria
Can also confirm its still offered at the sketchy 7-11 on Yates/quadra in Victoria BC. As others have stated, availablity likely depends on region or city.
Deal Guru
Oct 30, 2006
14170 posts
3212 upvotes
Gift cards would be more lucrative to companies if fraud wasn't so rampant. The retailer who sold the gift card isn't liable and neither is the customer, while the thief has already spent the stolen funds. So the company is often left spending twice the gift card value.
TripleQ wrote:I read Click magazine for the articles!
Aug 12, 2008
41 posts
14 upvotes
Toronto
I just went to a Toronto location (Dundas West and Runnymede) and there were no signs and no Cineplex gift cards. The rack contained amazon gift cards. The employee said there were no more Cineplex gift cards.
Apr 4, 2017
17 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary, AB
As of 830am MST I purchased 5 Amazon cards in Calgary, Ogden location. Manager had to download a new sheet as the offer was not on his current one at til. Process took a 1/2 hour because they rang in individually
Nov 3, 2015
35 posts
6 upvotes
Victoria, BC
***Smiling Face With Open MouthThank you soooo much, gamer602, for posting this awesome promotion!!! *** Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Apr 4, 2017
17 posts
14 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Douglasdale location has dozens of Amazon gift cards, about 20 Cineplex cards off a quick count. Manager and workers were all aware of offer.
Deal Addict
Dec 3, 2012
1176 posts
909 upvotes
Hongcouver
Just went to Edmonton First and Jasper location (100 st Jasper Ave) and the girls said 7-11 ended the promotion early instead of August 5th for unknown reasons, they were told to take the amazon cards off the shelves and even the sticker at the door was ripped off.

So, just an FYI, grab them while you can.

Edit (1357hrs): I go to the 7-11 a lot so I know the team there. The girl went into the POS and she said they even removed the icon for the free Cineplex cards.
CheapBuddy wrote:
Sep 4th, 2013 2:34 pm
thanks you, i like this balls a lot, at Tin Horton... i got balls before at walmart and where all dry and old
[OP]
Deal Addict
May 7, 2006
1687 posts
1674 upvotes
Kinda misleading to move this to expired.
No issues getting this in calgary today.
Feb 17, 2015
12 posts
22 upvotes
Brampton, ON
I have spoken to a district manager in Ontario and the corporate office in Surrey,BC. The promo was cut short this morning as it was hotter than they could have ever imagined.

I was told it ended for two reasons;

- people were turning it into a business, they had some people buy up to $3000 of Amazon gift cards. They were also finding people selling the free $25 Cineplex gift cards online for slightly less and making a profit.

- when promos like this launch they work with the company offering the free gift card on limits. In this case Cineplex was offering $100,000 of free gift cards. By the end of day two is was discovered they had already given away over $118,000 in Cineplex cards resulting in a loss for 7-11.

Needless to say, it’s disappointing for those like myself who missed out on the promo. At the same time, I find it hard to believe those at corporate didn’t realize offering anything free with an Amazon gift card this close to Prime Day wouldn’t be this popular.