Expired Hot Deals

[7 Eleven] Get a free $25 Cineplex gift card when you buy a $100 Amazon.ca gift card

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 15th, 2019 1:39 am
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
2233 posts
1135 upvotes
Toronto
Deal is definitely not dead. There are jewels to be had if you can find the right place.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2004
1765 posts
728 upvotes
Vancouveresque
Cineplex is probably eager to get customers in the door this time of year, anyways. It tends to be pretty slim pickings when it comes to new releases over the summer these days.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2143 posts
1601 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
jellytime wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 8:42 pm
Deal is definitely not dead. There are jewels to be had if you can find the right place.
But for all intents and purposes, for the vast majority of people it's dead.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2005
1306 posts
563 upvotes
chemicalxv wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 6:24 pm
Because Cineplex doesn't make that much from movie ticket sales anyways and the markup on the food and drink they sell is insane. If they give you $25 and you end up spending $50 including a movie ticket they still win.
If it is such a win for them, they would just give out free gift certificates or better yet $5 gift cards. I doubt Cineplex has much of a hand in this promotion, it would have made more sense for Cineplex to give away hundreds of thousands in gift cards for a contest.
Deal Addict
Dec 26, 2014
2143 posts
1601 upvotes
Winnipeg, MB
Diafel wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 9:53 pm
If it is such a win for them, they would just give out free gift certificates or better yet $5 gift cards. I doubt Cineplex has much of a hand in this promotion, it would have made more sense for Cineplex to give away hundreds of thousands in gift cards for a contest.
The Cineplex Gift Card would not be the free item if Cineplex didn't have a hand in this promo. 7/11 just randomly deciding to hand them out for free would get them in a lot of shit.
Aug 8, 2009
636 posts
56 upvotes
EdisonL299 wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 6:55 pm
Will it come back tonight or tomorrow? I want to buy more.
Sounds like they're nixing this whole thing. YMMV though if you find a store that hasn't gotten the memo yet
Nov 26, 2014
190 posts
117 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Edmonton airport 711 don't have the promo, 109 street don't have it either.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2005
8680 posts
1239 upvotes
Victoria
chemicalxv wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 6:24 pm
Because Cineplex doesn't make that much from movie ticket sales anyways and the markup on the food and drink they sell is insane. If they give you $25 and you end up spending $50 including a movie ticket they still win.
Do they? They need to sell the movie tickets to break even. IE they pay so much to license the movies, the movie tickets cover that. The food is where the profit comes from. If we're watching the movies for free, then they're starting in the hole, so they probably need you to buy a bunch of food just to break even.

Plus we never buy food at the theatre. Maybe sneak in some M&M's. We're there to watch a film, not eat popcorn :)

edit: My guess is, if Cineplex gave 7-11 100k for the promo it was for advertising. You can't buy that kind of advertising. Making a 30 second commercial costs way more than $100k. Not a bad way to spend $100k advertising.... except for the fact it was so good it got pulled.. lol.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2014
2233 posts
1135 upvotes
Toronto
chemicalxv wrote:
Jul 5th, 2019 9:21 pm
But for all intents and purposes, for the vast majority of people it's dead.
You may be right, but now this is a deal that separates the RFD OGs versus the wannabes.

It's like back in the day when we had to work for the deals. The excitement you get when you score a true deal.

Haha, I love it
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2013
1388 posts
714 upvotes
GVR
Stop wasting your time in 7-11 langley inside the esso near bypass road.
Jan 12, 2017
23 posts
4 upvotes
I got the deal evening of July 5th, in a store in Prince George, BC. Not only had they not heard that the promo had ended, they didn't know the promo had started. I had to show the manager the sign on the door (her: it's not on the door!; me: look at the other side), and she was very annoyed about it.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2002
4661 posts
1064 upvotes
Vancouver
went to one by my house. They had the promo sign up but no more amazon cards but there are cineplex cards