Hot Deals

7 Eleven

Speakout $125 for $100 Bonus is back (free sim $4 shipping)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2021 3:12 am
[OP]
Aug 27, 2009
279 posts
153 upvotes

[7 Eleven] Speakout $125 for $100 Bonus is back (free sim $4 shipping)

The usual promo but looks like it is less frequent than before.
Last edited by sinot on Sep 13th, 2021 7:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
22 replies
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14679 posts
5169 upvotes
Toronto
I remember they used to have this $125 promo combined with a free phone. Good times.

These days I just buy the base $25 topup for the year, I use it to hold a number just for the voicemail. This can be a spam number that you give to marketing, banks etc.

For most uses, there are more cost effective options than Speakout these days (Freedom $130 Unlimited Nationwide talking and text, etc.) But bump for fond memories.
Jun 15, 2001
505 posts
169 upvotes
T.O.
We dropped Speakout 7-11 for Public Mobile for our family about a year ago and will never go back. Public Mobile's $15 monthly plan drops down to $10-$12 with referrals and autopay options. The key feature for us was the very inexpensive cost to purchase GB blocks of data (which never expire until used) compared to the pathetic 100 MB for $10/month from Speakout 7-11.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12633 posts
11457 upvotes
major wrote: We dropped Speakout 7-11 for Public Mobile for our family about a year ago and will never go back. Public Mobile's $15 monthly plan drops down to $10-$12 with referrals and autopay options. The key feature for us was the very inexpensive cost to purchase GB blocks of data (which never expire until used) compared to the pathetic 100 MB for $10/month from Speakout 7-11.
Agree. You will get $1 loyalty reward at your anniversary date for max of $5. After 5 years with PM, you will be paying $8/30days on autopay and loyalty rewards alone.

Did you get your holiday giveaway 2GB data last Christmas?
Last edited by embguy on Sep 13th, 2021 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Zoomer $36 4GB plan,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet, $0 FPL home phone.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14679 posts
5169 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, Speakout has not done a very good job staying relevant or competitive, IMHO. As I said, if you just need talk and text, Freedom's plan is way better, and Speakout data sucks anyways (Aren't they still using 3G?)
[OP]
Aug 27, 2009
279 posts
153 upvotes
Their data option is a joke. I top-up once a year for their unlimited text plan. It comes out to be around $8 a month.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 7, 2004
6454 posts
2780 upvotes
West GTEH!
embguy wrote: Agree. You will get $1 loyalty reward at your anniversary date for max of $5. After 5 years with PM, you will be paying $8/30days on autopay and loyalty rewards alone.

Did you get your holiday giveaway 2GB data last Christmas?
That was a good giveaway by PM. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
😎
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
4428 posts
3918 upvotes
Toronto
We have family members use Speakout, it but it's only good for ultra-low usage, like not even using up the $25 minimum top-up annually. More than that, I agree with others that PM, etc. have more compelling options around the $100/year range.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1474 posts
1644 upvotes
Yeah. Unless you are paying the bare minimum and only using this for a number to get basic texting and emergency call while using another card for data or something like that, this Speakout is no longer worth it. If you have to pay more than $25 a year into this you are better off with just about any other alternative. Public Mobile for example is superior to the money you spent here.
Deal Guru
Oct 27, 2003
14679 posts
5169 upvotes
Toronto
Pretty much nothing has changed in the past 10 years for Speakout. Rates, plans, data availability etc. The entire service is like traveling back in time to 2005-2010.

Evolve or die.
Nov 10, 2008
896 posts
102 upvotes
Toronto
major wrote: We dropped Speakout 7-11 for Public Mobile for our family about a year ago and will never go back. Public Mobile's $15 monthly plan drops down to $10-$12 with referrals and autopay options. The key feature for us was the very inexpensive cost to purchase GB blocks of data (which never expire until used) compared to the pathetic 100 MB for $10/month from Speakout 7-11.
What is the fool-proof way of porting Speakout to PM? I have 3 Speakout numbers under one email address. and I would like to port 2 of them to PM.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12633 posts
11457 upvotes
escapehatch wrote: What is the fool-proof way of porting Speakout to PM? I have 3 Speakout numbers under one email address. and I would like to port 2 of them to PM.
Use
1. Phone number to be ported out.
2. IMEI # on the phone using the phone number to be ported out.

Call SO what else they need to port out a SO number.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Zoomer $36 4GB plan,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet, $0 FPL home phone.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5721 posts
3223 upvotes
Toronto
escapehatch wrote: What is the fool-proof way of porting Speakout to PM? I have 3 Speakout numbers under one email address. and I would like to port 2 of them to PM.
You need combination of old cell number, account number and pin. Some provider is now adding extra protection of sending text to verify before porting out from their service.

Buy public mobile simcard and follow the directions under publicmobile/activate.

Better advice is purchase one of their plan and use it for a week before porting out, to see if Telus network is right for you. It could be worse then Rogers in your area. You can port in to PM anytime you want.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 22, 2007
9154 posts
2781 upvotes
London
All I need is something like SO with a reasonably priced block of data when I need to add it. I guess I'm stuck with SO until I find a unicorn out there.
Nov 9, 2016
73 posts
77 upvotes
Lloydminster
I have been with Speakout for years now. It is now regulated to a backup/burner phone. I just buy the $25 top up each year with cash at a 7-11. The only selling point it has now is that you can still easily be completely anonymous/untraceable.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2012
1184 posts
501 upvotes
Toronto
Cucumference wrote: Yeah. Unless you are paying the bare minimum and only using this for a number to get basic texting and emergency call while using another card for data or something like that, this Speakout is no longer worth it. If you have to pay more than $25 a year into this you are better off with just about any other alternative. Public Mobile for example is superior to the money you spent here.
What’s a better option for some data and ~$50 per year?
JS
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1474 posts
1644 upvotes
James Stonehenge wrote: What’s a better option for some data and ~$50 per year?
There's no 4G data option in Canada under $100 per year besides maybe those Fido tablet specials.

Not entirely sure why you are asking for data for that price. Speakout doesn't give you data for any less than $120 a year and it is 3G, 100MB per month.
Aug 30, 2009
136 posts
109 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Kurtz7834 wrote: These days I just buy the base $25 topup for the year, I use it to hold a number just for the voicemail. This can be a spam number that you give to marketing, banks etc.
If that's the only reason you keep it, better port your number into an app on your phone, I use Fongo ($25 to port, no fees after), but I'm sure there are others. If all you're interested in are voicemails, no need to even keep the app on your phone afterwards, just set it to forward your voicemails to your email address.
May 28, 2016
330 posts
119 upvotes
Not hot deal unless you can get 5 $25 top-up
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
5105 posts
5226 upvotes
Vancouver
I'm glad to see this offer back, but this thread reminded me about the possibility of switching to Public Mobile for a better deal. I hope poring the number isn't a big hassle.

Thread Information

There are currently 7 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 6 guests)

Crichtonfan