Expired Hot Deals

[7-Eleven] (Speakout) Free SIM + $25 Bonus on $100 Top Up (Update: No free phone anymore)

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 4th, 2019 6:54 am
[OP]
Aug 7, 2012
33 posts
424 upvotes

(Speakout) Free SIM + $25 Bonus on $100 Top Up (Update: No free phone anymore)

Deal Link:
Savings:
$35 off
Expiry:
September 3, 2019
Retailer:
7-Eleven
This is the same promo that comes around every few months, but this time the promo only lasts for 12 days ...

- Free phone promotion valid online only. Not applicable in stores.
- Shipping charges will apply if ordering online.
- $100 top up must be activated by September 3, 2019, 11:59 pm PT to receive the $25 account bonus.

Aug 27 update: Free phone offer seems to be dead. Only free SIM + $25 bonus now. Image

( to mod: should not have moved this to expired ... )
Last edited by bnybny on Aug 27th, 2019 10:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
60 replies
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3818 posts
2488 upvotes
Toronto
bnybny wrote: This is the same promo that comes around every few months, but this time the promo only lasts for 12 days ...

- $100 top up must be activated by September 3, 2019, 11:59 pm PT to receive the $25 account bonus.
every few months? This is only the 4th time in the past 10 years that SO gave a free phone with $100 top up.
Past phones were
Cheap Nokia phone
Alcatel phone with a physical keyboard
And
A BLU 4" smart phone which was almost 4 years ago. I got all 3 of these...however, I no longer have a SO account so will not be getting this one but thanks for the post.
May 21, 2019
41 posts
62 upvotes
What's the minimum top-up I can add that will keep the rest of my balance from expiring? I just want to keep my old number from a plan I want to cancel and have it for emergencies.
Oct 29, 2007
461 posts
40 upvotes
can the phone work as MP3 without the SIM card inserted?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
12528 posts
11346 upvotes
Fightguard wrote: every few months? This is only the 4th time in the past 10 years that SO gave a free phone with $100 top up.
Past phones were
Cheap Nokia phone
Alcatel phone with a physical keyboard
And
A BLU 4" smart phone which was almost 4 years ago. I got all 3 of these...however, I no longer have a SO account so will not be getting this one but thanks for the post.
I got the BLU phone too and sold it. I switched to PM $10 50/50 plan.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $36 5GB, $12 250MB, 2x $6 50min/50text, Zoomer $36 4GB plan,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet, $0 FPL home phone.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
3818 posts
2488 upvotes
Toronto
andyhejob wrote: can the phone work as MP3 without the SIM card inserted?
Yes. Been doing this for years connected to my home audio system as well as in the car. Just add micro SD card. Ignore the "no SIM inserted" message and you are good to go.
Last edited by Fightguard on Aug 24th, 2019 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Feb 2, 2017
1323 posts
1409 upvotes
this is kinda hot, I think this is the best offer they have?
Nov 9, 2009
26 posts
24 upvotes
Belleville
HootingTriangle wrote: What's the minimum top-up I can add that will keep the rest of my balance from expiring? I just want to keep my old number from a plan I want to cancel and have it for emergencies.
All of the top-ups last a year, and if I remember correctly $25 is the smallest offered. (just looked it up, 25, 35, 50, & 100)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Regrading the offer.
You have to pay for shipping to get the phone and sim card.
If you don't want part of the promo you can remove it and still qualify for the rest.
I topped up two phones today and removed the promo phone (didn't want/need it, and didn't want to pay $16 to ship it). I got the bonus $25 air time and the SIM for $4 shipping each (had to make two orders) (will replace two of the ones I poorly cut down)
Last edited by ShetiPhian on Aug 24th, 2019 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4845 posts
2426 upvotes
Toronto
shorfd wrote: Review for the FIGO Orbit 2 for those interested.
LULUMON wrote: If you are thinking of a travel phone, it's not gonna work because Band 2,4,5 is non-existent outside US and Canada. I might pass for this reason.
The review says it is AT&T compatible. The review and user guide both say it is a Dual Sim phone.

That to me indicate it would be a good burner for travel to the USA without having to hand over your life to border patrol.

I also got the Blu 4 years ago. I have since moved the sim to a different phone. Top up with $25 / year to keep the sim active and use it for Kijiji etc. and loaning to guests from out of country.
The $1.25 monthly fee eats up about 1/2 of that.
Rates are $0.30 min for calls, $0.15 per outgoing text.
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4845 posts
2426 upvotes
Toronto
LULUMON wrote: Until border agent finds you have another phone.
I travel to the USA with 1 phone, my burner. It has one emergency # for home and who ever I am visiting.
Leave my main phone @ home.

Not too long ago, met up with an Amerifriend at a campground this side of the border. They didn't get roaming because they weren't planning on phoning anybody. The campground had wifi.
Their dog got real sick had to be hospitalized over a long weekend in another town. They were grateful when I was able to hand them my burner as it gave them a way to keep in touch with the vet. Speakout worked well for that.

Your other points are valid.

On edit: with dual sim I could always pop in my Fido data (tablet) sim and that would solve the no data issue.
Enough of us have the free or 50% off Fido data plan.
Last edited by ROYinTO on Aug 24th, 2019 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 29, 2007
461 posts
40 upvotes
If I buy a voucher today, how long will it be valid for?
Sep 14, 2017
143 posts
71 upvotes
andyhejob wrote: If I buy a voucher today, how long will it be valid for?
365 days. Not entirely sure, if it's from the day you buy it or the day you activate the voucher. I would think it's the latter.

Looks like you need to activate the $100 voucher before Sept 3 to get the $25 bonus
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2009
4845 posts
2426 upvotes
Toronto
If you can pick up the phone, sim and voucher in store and pay cash. It is one of the few burner phones that does not easily trace back to you. i.e no names addresses or credit cards required.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2018
4829 posts
4891 upvotes
Vancouver
nstlgsnv wrote: 365 days. Not entirely sure, if it's from the day you buy it or the day you activate the voucher. I would think it's the latter.
I think it's both actually - top-up codes must be used within a year, and the credit expires a year after you top up.
Looks like you need to activate the $100 voucher before Sept 3 to get the $25 bonus
Correct, but there will be another similar promo in a couple of months if the usual pattern of the last few years continues.
Dec 17, 2009
876 posts
677 upvotes
Vancouver

Anyone knows how much is the shipping cost?
Jul 3, 2019
25 posts
24 upvotes
tofubb wrote: - Free phone promotion valid online only. Not applicable in stores.

Anyone knows how much is the shipping cost?
13.50 ground shipping and 21 air....[edit]...to Calgary :)
Last edited by falconDSI on Aug 24th, 2019 10:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Apr 5, 2009
158 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
Shipping is $16.75 unless you want shipped by air which cost a couple more $$. Tax is applied on top.