7 nights trip to Manitoba , Saskatchewan. Advice please

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 10th, 2018 11:32 am
[OP]
Sep 10, 2017
24 posts
11 upvotes

7 nights trip to Manitoba , Saskatchewan. Advice please

Plan a summer family trip to Manitoba , Saskatchewan. Can only have 7 nights. Advice please , thanks!
10 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20880 posts
19151 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
One line request...
Need more info. Please advise
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4810 posts
1266 upvotes
Regina
if you are south sask i would recommend big muddy, train tour in ogema, rider game and rcmp in regina...central sask i would go manitou, kamsack area...north i would go waskesiu
[OP]
Sep 10, 2017
24 posts
11 upvotes
hordosr wrote: if you are south sask i would recommend big muddy, train tour in ogema, rider game and rcmp in regina...central sask i would go manitou, kamsack area...north i would go waskesiu
Thanks for the advice. Planning fly from Toronto to Winnipeg , rent car, and then Winnipeg, and then riding mountain national park, then driving to Saskatoon city, then prince albert national park, then Regina, then drive back to Winnipeg. Feel like too rush...
Deal Fanatic
Feb 19, 2010
6237 posts
2983 upvotes
Dennislei wrote: Thanks for the advice. Planning fly from Toronto to Winnipeg , rent car, and then Winnipeg, and then riding mountain national park, then driving to Saskatoon city, then prince albert national park, then Regina, then drive back to Winnipeg. Feel like too rush...
I wouldn't drive back to Winnipeg. Fly out of Regina.
Nov 23, 2015
797 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
Dennislei wrote: Thanks for the advice. Planning fly from Toronto to Winnipeg , rent car, and then Winnipeg, and then riding mountain national park, then driving to Saskatoon city, then prince albert national park, then Regina, then drive back to Winnipeg. Feel like too rush...
That's a lot for one week. The itinerary is certainly possible, but you will be spending a lot of time on the road as distances are pretty vast and you're intent on seeing a lot.

I think just taking Conquistador's advice and flying out of Regina will save you a half day's drive and make the trip more pleasant.

Stretching it out to 9 nights would give you much more breathing room without having to take more days off from work. But if it absolutely has to be 7 nights I might suggest a somewhat easier itinerary. If you are more outdoorsy people then cut out one of the Sask cities, either Regina or Saskatoon. But if you're more city people, then cut out one of the national parks. Then you could do something like Winnipeg x 2 nights, Riding Mountain x 1 night, Saskatoon or Prince Albert Park x 1 night, Regina x 2 nights. That leaves you with one night left over and I'd just tack it on to whichever place you think you could make the best use of it.

With that little time you won't run out of things to do... the hardest part will be narrowing down the options.
Nov 23, 2015
797 posts
494 upvotes
Winnipeg
I was mulling this over a bit more and decided that if I was going to do a 7 night Manitoba-Saskatchewan driving trip, I'd probably do something like this:

3 nights in Winnipeg
2 nights at Riding Mountain
2 nights in Saskatoon

That would leave a generous amount of time to visit the 3 destinations so that it wouldn't feel rushed, and also to allow a bit of time to stop in between the destinations. But on a 7 night trip I'd definitely cut out Prince Albert Park just given the distances involved... might make more sense to spend some more time at Riding Mountain which is at least on the way rather than cut that visit short just to drive all the way to Prince Albert Park.
Deal Guru
Jan 9, 2011
13816 posts
17942 upvotes
Vancouver
I don't know where you live but if you are used to forests and lakes, Riding Mountain and Prince Albert parks are more of the same. We have plenty of that here in BC so when I visit the prairies I want to see something different. My favorite place in the prairies is Grasslands National Park. We have nothing like it here in BC—no trees, no lakes, just big open spaces and big skies, and the last bit of mixed-grass prairie in Canada that is still in its natural state and has never been plowed. I've been twice, I'd go back in an instant.

Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4810 posts
1266 upvotes
Regina
Kiraly wrote: I don't know where you live but if you are used to forests and lakes, Riding Mountain and Prince Albert parks are more of the same. We have plenty of that here in BC so when I visit the prairies I want to see something different. My favorite place in the prairies is Grasslands National Park. We have nothing like it here in BC—no trees, no lakes, just big open spaces and big skies, and the last bit of mixed-grass prairie in Canada that is still in its natural state and has never been plowed. I've been twice, I'd go back in an instant.

yah we are going to grasslands for the weekend next month to see what the fuss is all about, have only heard good things
Deal Fanatic
Jan 2, 2005
5057 posts
715 upvotes
hordosr wrote: yah we are going to grasslands for the weekend next month to see what the fuss is all about, have only heard good things
with no trees, no lakes, no mountains be prepared for wind.
Deal Addict
Oct 14, 2007
4810 posts
1266 upvotes
Regina
162 wrote: with no trees, no lakes, no mountains be prepared for wind.
suppose to be 100-110 km/hr winds here today so am used to it