Real Estate

700k Budget. Detached. Double Car garage. 3bed2bath....Where you moving?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 7th, 2021 2:16 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2808 posts
2041 upvotes

700k Budget. Detached. Double Car garage. 3bed2bath....Where you moving?

Within those perimeters I have narrowed it down to Belleville or Peterborough. Where you moving thats within 5km from ammenities?
Smash that like button!
20 replies
Nov 10, 2015
50 posts
95 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Tough choice. I'd pick Peterborough but that's just because I'd want to be closer to GTA (407 Extension). You probably want to add more details to your post. What else are you looking for in a city?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2808 posts
2041 upvotes
Requirements:
House:
3 bed
2 bath (or provisions to add)
Double car garage (preference to detached garage)
1500+ square foot
- Basement

Community:
- Within 5km of a hospital
- Within 150km from Toronto
- Walmart, Grocery, Canadian Tire, and a hardware store (Home depot, Lowes, Rona)
- Under more than 25,000 people. I dont want to be in farm land without neighbours

Bonus:
- Costco
- On lake/pool
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Jul 4, 2009
1615 posts
1001 upvotes
Windsor, ON area
If you don't need to be close to Toronto, have you considered Windsor?

Husband and I just bought a house in Windsor.
We wanted a detached house with a double car garage, 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms for around your price range.

We also needed to be close enough to good restaurants and a city feel. Windsor hits all those points, plus Detroit is right across the river for more shopping options, restaurants and things to do.

And because Windsor is south, it's a few degrees warmer than Toronto.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 15, 2017
5313 posts
5433 upvotes
Ottawa
Belleville has some of the highest property taxes in ON. A $700k house has property taxes of over $11,600 a year.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2808 posts
2041 upvotes
This I didn't know.
I have a medical condition so even travelling to peterborough would be a stretch. Belleville will be likely ah impossible feat
Smash that like button!
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2005
1855 posts
1440 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
skeet50 wrote: Belleville has some of the highest property taxes in ON. A $700k house has property taxes of over $11,600 a year.
I wouldn't recommend Belleville over Peterborough, not enough amenities. However a 700k house at FMV there would likely be assessed at 400k max. Tax on that would be 4.5k not 11k.
Jul 12, 2019
49 posts
115 upvotes
6mthatch wrote: Requirements:
House:
3 bed
2 bath (or provisions to add)
Double car garage (preference to detached garage)
1500+ square foot
- Basement

Community:
- Within 5km of a hospital
- Within 150km from Toronto
- Walmart, Grocery, Canadian Tire, and a hardware store (Home depot, Lowes, Rona)
- Under more than 25,000 people. I dont want to be in farm land without neighbours

Bonus:
- Costco
- On lake/pool
Cobourg hits all of those, except the Costco. You aren't going to find a Costco in a community under 25,000.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2808 posts
2041 upvotes
Any other locations i should be looking at?
Seems priced out of... Georgina, new tecumseh, orangeville
Smash that like button!
Mar 29, 2016
209 posts
183 upvotes
Toronto
Have you thought of tri-city (Waterloo , Kitchener and Cambridge) ?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2020
1438 posts
2072 upvotes
6mthatch wrote: Within those perimeters I have narrowed it down to Belleville or Peterborough. Where you moving thats within 5km from ammenities?
I just did a search and both Hamilton and Oshawa came up with results although only a few but you would be close enough to Toronto still. I also notice some properties in your range in fort Erie, welland and st Catherine’s area . You could also consider a condo townhouse they are more reasonably priced in some areas. If you have a medical condition I would definitely take the hospital into consideration. I’ve worked in healthcare in the past and the care received by patients can be night and day in some smaller cities in comparison to what they would receive in Toronto or a larger city.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 3, 2011
6517 posts
3789 upvotes
Thornhill
Lots of choices:

Niagara area such as Welland. Fort Erie

Northumberland such as Hastings
Sep 10, 2010
397 posts
100 upvotes
St Catharines
st catharines
X5351838
Jan 13, 2007
624 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Based on OP's information, a general search on Realtor.ca would show that you'd have to go as north as Barrie to find sufficient options that match their criteria. If you go west, you'd have to go as far as Cambridge area or Hamilton area. If you go east, you'll be around north Oshawa.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
7742 posts
6936 upvotes
ZxExN wrote: I wouldn't recommend Belleville over Peterborough, not enough amenities. However a 700k house at FMV there would likely be assessed at 400k max. Tax on that would be 4.5k not 11k.
when mpac updates their valuation, the selling price will heavily influence or just become the new assessed value. comparable sales is biggest influence and sale of the actual property is best indicator for assessed value.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1061 posts
837 upvotes
North Bay is becoming a very popular choice nowadays. It may or may not hit all the check boxes but like Windsor it's becoming an up and coming rising star!
Dec 3, 2017
88 posts
10 upvotes
Hamilton
St Thomas :) It's a lovely small and growing city.
You can easily find something under $700k that hits all your check boxes except it's about 200km from Toronto and there isn't any Costco in town but there are 2 in London which is only about 15-20mins away.
Deal Addict
Sep 30, 2011
2151 posts
753 upvotes
casanova2001 wrote: Have you thought of tri-city (Waterloo , Kitchener and Cambridge) ?
I was trying to ask same question, just 100k more can fit the need?
<signature removed>