Real Estate

75 Portland + King West thoughts

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 5th, 2020 4:49 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 2, 2020
24 posts
3 upvotes

75 Portland + King West thoughts

Was thinking of purchasing a unit in this building.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on people at RFD on the building and the area. Any insights/opinions would be helpful! Would be great to hear from people who are currently living or have lived in the past. Any issues worth knowing or things to consider etc.

Thanks in advance!
39 replies
Newbie
Nov 22, 2009
52 posts
44 upvotes
Vancouver
pajarraco wrote: Was thinking of purchasing a unit in this building.

Just wanted to get some thoughts on people at RFD on the building and the area. Any insights/opinions would be helpful! Would be great to hear from people who are currently living or have lived in the past. Any issues worth knowing or things to consider etc.

Thanks in advance!
I don't live in the building but I live in the neighbourhood.
Pros:
1. The building is literally in the middle of the restaurant, bar and clubs district. It is very lively, lots of people on the weekends. The best restaurants and bars and entertainment in Toronto is literally at your door step: Lee's, Gusto101, Lavelle, EFS, Belfast Love, Wilbur, Westlodge, Petty Cash, Oretta, Wheat Sheaf (oldest bar in Toronto) etc. etc.
2. It's a boutique ish building so a lot less people in the elevators and fosters a better atmosphere.
3. Demography of residents is typically young ish (20s, 30s) professionals in tech and creative type or couples. Alot are hip and like the convenience and access to South Core or LB offices
4. Extremely well connected with the King, Queen, Bathurst st cars and accessible to South Core/FiDi within 10 mins
5. Toronto's largest mega projects are being built within walking distance: King Toronto and the Well. Bringing thousands of more residents to the area, a huge new office, shopping, dining and entertainment complexes
Cons:
1. 75 Portland can be noisy on the weekends and at night from the crowds
2. Views are not great in this building. North and East facing units face an alleyway or another building.
Other units facing a "courtyard" (I hate these)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 5, 2018
1422 posts
2069 upvotes
Toronto
vbomb wrote: I don't live in the building but I live in the neighbourhood.
Pros:
1. The building is literally in the middle of the restaurant, bar and clubs district. It is very lively, lots of people on the weekends. The best restaurants and bars and entertainment in Toronto is literally at your door step: Lee's, Gusto101, Lavelle, EFS, Belfast Love, Wilbur, Westlodge, Petty Cash, Oretta, Wheat Sheaf (oldest bar in Toronto) etc. etc.
2. It's a boutique ish building so a lot less people in the elevators and fosters a better atmosphere.
3. Demography of residents is typically young ish (20s, 30s) professionals in tech and creative type or couples. Alot are hip and like the convenience and access to South Core or LB offices
4. Extremely well connected with the King, Queen, Bathurst st cars and accessible to South Core/FiDi within 10 mins
5. Toronto's largest mega projects are being built within walking distance: King Toronto and the Well. Bringing thousands of more residents to the area, a huge new office, shopping, dining and entertainment complexes
Cons:
1. 75 Portland can be noisy on the weekends and at night from the crowds
2. Views are not great in this building. North and East facing units face an alleyway or another building.
Other units facing a "courtyard" (I hate these)
I personally love this area. It is lively and fun and will be amazing again once this pandemic ends (whenever that is). I am personally invested in a precon in the area and I have huge faith in King West long term.

I can’t say anything about the building, but I think this area will be a lot more expensive in the future as you are having incredible transformation as many new expensive developments come to the area; King Toronto Condos, The Well, 123 Portland, 543 Richmond, Rush, Waterworks, and I am probably missing more. But, it is already a hot area and they are making it even better.

This and Yonge and Eg are my favourite areas in the city because of potential from their transformations.
I do not need approval, I do not need friends. I do what I want.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 2, 2020
24 posts
3 upvotes
vbomb wrote: I don't live in the building but I live in the neighbourhood.
Pros:
1. The building is literally in the middle of the restaurant, bar and clubs district. It is very lively, lots of people on the weekends. The best restaurants and bars and entertainment in Toronto is literally at your door step: Lee's, Gusto101, Lavelle, EFS, Belfast Love, Wilbur, Westlodge, Petty Cash, Oretta, Wheat Sheaf (oldest bar in Toronto) etc. etc.
2. It's a boutique ish building so a lot less people in the elevators and fosters a better atmosphere.
3. Demography of residents is typically young ish (20s, 30s) professionals in tech and creative type or couples. Alot are hip and like the convenience and access to South Core or LB offices
4. Extremely well connected with the King, Queen, Bathurst st cars and accessible to South Core/FiDi within 10 mins
5. Toronto's largest mega projects are being built within walking distance: King Toronto and the Well. Bringing thousands of more residents to the area, a huge new office, shopping, dining and entertainment complexes
Cons:
1. 75 Portland can be noisy on the weekends and at night from the crowds
2. Views are not great in this building. North and East facing units face an alleyway or another building.
Other units facing a "courtyard" (I hate these)
Thank you so much for your reply!

Wanted to pick your brain a bit further on the demographics. I've heard people say that as the upcoming developments (e.g., King Toronto, The Well, etc.) complete, the costs to live in this area will increase to the point it may drive out some of the younger crowd... do you think that seems reasonable?

I do love how central the building is to everything... and since I do enjoy exploring restaurants it'll be great!

I've been told that buildings in this area are limited to being a 'mid-rise' and given the constant construction of new buildings it's somewhat inevitable to have a mediocre view (or have a good view that will only last a few years). What buildings do you think in this area have a good view while having similar characteristics?
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 2, 2020
24 posts
3 upvotes
CondoMan98 wrote: I personally love this area. It is lively and fun and will be amazing again once this pandemic ends (whenever that is). I am personally invested in a precon in the area and I have huge faith in King West long term.

I can’t say anything about the building, but I think this area will be a lot more expensive in the future as you are having incredible transformation as many new expensive developments come to the area; King Toronto Condos, The Well, 123 Portland, 543 Richmond, Rush, Waterworks, and I am probably missing more. But, it is already a hot area and they are making it even better.

This and Yonge and Eg are my favourite areas in the city because of potential from their transformations.
Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I actually didn't realize that there were so many expensive developments in the area until just a few days ago. Does seem like a great place to be for sure.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2004
4506 posts
2136 upvotes
Toronto
Just be aware of the noise levels at night time.
I had a client buy a place at the Pinnacle on adelaide and sold it less than a year later because of the noise levels.
And he was on the 29th floor.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Addict
User avatar
Nov 5, 2018
1422 posts
2069 upvotes
Toronto
oasis100 wrote: Just be aware of the noise levels at night time.
I had a client buy a place at the Pinnacle on adelaide and sold it less than a year later because of the noise levels.
And he was on the 29th floor.
Ya, you have to know what you are getting into. But for a young person or a working individual who wants to live life, it’s the best place in the city, IMO.
I do not need approval, I do not need friends. I do what I want.
Sr. Member
Nov 10, 2017
751 posts
509 upvotes
pajarraco wrote: Thank you so much for your reply!

Wanted to pick your brain a bit further on the demographics. I've heard people say that as the upcoming developments (e.g., King Toronto, The Well, etc.) complete, the costs to live in this area will increase to the point it may drive out some of the younger crowd... do you think that seems reasonable?

I do love how central the building is to everything... and since I do enjoy exploring restaurants it'll be great!




I've been told that buildings in this area are limited to being a 'mid-rise' and given the constant construction of new buildings it's somewhat inevitable to have a mediocre view (or have a good view that will only last a few years). What buildings do you think in this area have a good view while having similar characteristics?

Entertainment District + Fashion District = Toronto SOHO

There will be a new subway station at King and Bathurst (Ontario Line)

You may also explore Fashion House condo at 560 King St. W. (with roof top pool) or Six50King Condos at 650 King St. W. ( (low management fee),

The potential of this area is not fully unlocked yet.

ontario_line_and_relief_line.jpg
Last edited by JosephB012 on Aug 4th, 2020 9:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 2, 2020
24 posts
3 upvotes
JosephB012 wrote: Entertainment District = Toronto SOHO

There will be a new subway station at King and Bathurst (Ontario Line)

You may also explore Fashion House condo (with roof top pool) or Six50King Condos( (low management fee),

The potential of this area is not fully unlocked yet.


ontario_line_and_relief_line.jpg
Yeah I think the new subway station will do wonders for the area.

I did see Fashion House and Six50; I did like Six50 for the low maintenance fee. I also liked 10 Morrison which also seems to be a pretty boutique and no-frills kinda building. Seemed like many of the Freed projects are pretty good (although I've seen more complaints on the latter projects like 55 Stewart) One building that was a bit different seemed to be 60 Bathurst which on paper seemed similar but the $ per sq ft seemed lower than other buildings like those I've already mentioned. The only explanation I could come up with so far is that it's on the other side of Bathurst... or that perhaps something is wrong with the building... anybody has any insight?
Deal Guru
Feb 29, 2008
12220 posts
7331 upvotes
vbomb wrote: I don't live in the building but I live in the neighbourhood.
Pros:
1. The building is literally in the middle of the restaurant, bar and clubs district. It is very lively, lots of people on the weekends. The best restaurants and bars and entertainment in Toronto is literally at your door step: Lee's, Gusto101, Lavelle, EFS, Belfast Love, Wilbur, Westlodge, Petty Cash, Oretta, Wheat Sheaf (oldest bar in Toronto) etc. etc.
2. It's a boutique ish building so a lot less people in the elevators and fosters a better atmosphere.
3. Demography of residents is typically young ish (20s, 30s) professionals in tech and creative type or couples. Alot are hip and like the convenience and access to South Core or LB offices
4. Extremely well connected with the King, Queen, Bathurst st cars and accessible to South Core/FiDi within 10 mins
5. Toronto's largest mega projects are being built within walking distance: King Toronto and the Well. Bringing thousands of more residents to the area, a huge new office, shopping, dining and entertainment complexes
Cons:
1. 75 Portland can be noisy on the weekends and at night from the crowds
2. Views are not great in this building. North and East facing units face an alleyway or another building.
Other units facing a "courtyard" (I hate these)
Pretty much this...

Also, 75 Portland is a beautiful building built by Freed developments, designed by Core. I know nothing about what it's like to live there or if it's built well, but it is a high demand building in a very high demand location. I don't think you will regret the purchase. A lot of nice restaurants in the area and The Well is coming so it's going to have even more restaurants and shops then add King Toronto. Also few other developments coming in that are higher end.

I dislike the courtyard...would hate to face there. Also there will be noise. Young crowd with money...to me worse combination to live with. They will litter the streets on evenings and weekends. If you're cool with that then enjoy.

I've worked in the area for almost 10 years...and used to hang out there quite a bit.
Sr. Member
Nov 10, 2017
751 posts
509 upvotes
pajarraco wrote: Yeah I think the new subway station will do wonders for the area.

I did see Fashion House and Six50; I did like Six50 for the low maintenance fee. I also liked 10 Morrison which also seems to be a pretty boutique and no-frills kinda building. Seemed like many of the Freed projects are pretty good (although I've seen more complaints on the latter projects like 55 Stewart) One building that was a bit different seemed to be 60 Bathurst which on paper seemed similar but the $ per sq ft seemed lower than other buildings like those I've already mentioned. The only explanation I could come up with so far is that it's on the other side of Bathurst... or that perhaps something is wrong with the building... anybody has any insight?
To me, 60 Bathurst is out of the SOHO zone, it is located on the west side of Bathurst. As a reference, King Street Pilot (now is permanent) ends at East of Bathurst.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 2, 2020
24 posts
3 upvotes
JosephB012 wrote: To me, 60 Bathurst is out of the SOHO zone, it is located on the west side of Bathurst. As a reference, King Street Pilot (now is permanent) ends at East of Bathurst.
Ah, I see. Quite interesting the dropoff in price from one side of the street to the other.
Member
Nov 26, 2012
271 posts
243 upvotes
Toronto
Live in the area for many years now. I have viewed probably 4-5 units in 75 Portland alone lol. I’ve seen listings in all the buildings you mentioned.

Pros: everything is close by (food, shopping, entertainment). 75 Portland has relatively nicer layouts imo.

Cons: if you are facing Portland, it will be very noisy. Either you get used to it or you don’t. I’m a night owl so I’m okay.

650 king has lower maintenance fees but no amenities (which is not a bad thing tbh). And the gym is a room that looks like a jail. If you worry about noise, one side overlooks the parlour and that is noisy. Lol. Fashion house is fine. Pretty normal, newer Than 75 Portland.

60 Bathurst is older building and the price reflects that. Also, it is indeed on the wrong side of Bathurst.
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 2, 2020
24 posts
3 upvotes
JayLove06 wrote: Pretty much this...

Also, 75 Portland is a beautiful building built by Freed developments, designed by Core. I know nothing about what it's like to live there or if it's built well, but it is a high demand building in a very high demand location. I don't think you will regret the purchase. A lot of nice restaurants in the area and The Well is coming so it's going to have even more restaurants and shops then add King Toronto. Also few other developments coming in that are higher end.

I dislike the courtyard...would hate to face there. Also there will be noise. Young crowd with money...to me worse combination to live with. They will litter the streets on evenings and weekends. If you're cool with that then enjoy.

I've worked in the area for almost 10 years...and used to hang out there quite a bit.
Seems like quite a number of people dislike the courtyard. Would the noise level be less for units facing the courtyard as opposed to facing a noisy street?
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 2, 2020
24 posts
3 upvotes
niche54 wrote: Live in the area for many years now. I have viewed probably 4-5 units in 75 Portland alone lol. I’ve seen listings in all the buildings you mentioned.

Pros: everything is close by (food, shopping, entertainment). 75 Portland has relatively nicer layouts imo.

Cons: if you are facing Portland, it will be very noisy. Either you get used to it or you don’t. I’m a night owl so I’m okay.

650 king has lower maintenance fees but no amenities (which is not a bad thing tbh). And the gym is a room that looks like a jail. If you worry about noise, one side overlooks the parlour and that is noisy. Lol. Fashion house is fine. Pretty normal, newer Than 75 Portland.

60 Bathurst is older building and the price reflects that. Also, it is indeed on the wrong side of Bathurst.
Thanks for your comments! Any thoughts on 10 Morrison? I find units don’t come by as often as other buildings because it only has around 100 units. I got the sense that the demographics are a bit older in that building even though it’s only like a block away.

Top