None
[OP]
Dec 6, 2003
169 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal

75in TV suggestions

Hi fellow RFDers,

I'm looking to replace the 60" Sony KDL60W630B in my living room. It's been a great TV for what I needed it to do, which is mostly watch hockey and play video games. My life has changed quite a bit since 2016 when I bought it from Costco for 1600$ if I remember correctly. Got a nice wall mount with it which I plan on reusing.

Now with the kids I don't play video games anymore (they're too young) but I plan on getting a next gen console as soon as I can justify it (the kids wants one lol). So I'll need HDMI 2.1. Also, I have a nice projector downstairs for movies so I'm looking for living room TV that can handle reflections well. Attached a photo for reference, this is early morning light so it the afternoon it gets quite bright with the windows on my right.

My research tells me I should get mini LED and quantum dot technologies and that VA panels are not as bad as they used too with viewing angles. This is my main gripe with my current TV. In a small appartment it was fine but in the living room off axis viewing is an issue.

Budget is about the same, so 2000$ tax in.

Thx for your input!
Images
  • upload.jpg
8 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4673 posts
2072 upvotes
GTA
The new 2021 mini led's are coming out in the summer, just wait till then.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19666 posts
5757 upvotes
Toronto
Mini-LED TVs in your price range aren't necessarily going to wow. TCL mini-LED TVs do not have a great reputation. Contrast is good but out-of-the-box colour calibration is off, they get bad blooming according to RTINGS, and they have a reputation on the forums for being buggy.

I'd recommend getting a decent 4K HDR TV with local dimming, and since you're a gamer, you'll want something with a very low latency. Quantum Dot is a marketing term only used by certain manufacturers. For example, you'll never find Quantum Dot on a Sony TV, because they don't use that marketing term. Also, personally I wouldn't buy a TV without Dolby Vision, which means I'd strike all Samsung TVs off my own list of TVs, but you may not have the same priorities there.

A budget possibility in your price range is the Hisense 75H78G (aka 75H8G) which goes for $1100 plus tax. However, that is also known for having poor colour calibration out-of-the-box. The more highly regarded XBR75X900H would be closer to $2300 plus tax (after negotation), which means $2644 in Montréal unfortunately.

These are all VA panels BTW, which don't have great viewing angles. At the angle at which you're lounging, that will likely be a problem. They'll probably be a bit better than your current KDL60W630B, but they won't be great. The Sony X950H would be better for viewing angles but that’s even more expensive than the X900H.

If budget were not a concern, what would solve your viewing angle problems would be an LG OLED. However, that is roughly three times your budget. :( The other option would be an LG IPS TV and that would be affordable too, but they suck in dark ambient lighting due to their poor native contrast. OTOH, if it's in a room that is always brightly lit, they can look great.

Oh and YMMV, but personally I think that TV is mounted WAAAAY too high.
Deal Addict
Jun 16, 2009
4247 posts
4440 upvotes
GTA
If gaming is a big impetus for getting a new TV, right now HDMI 2.1 isn't well supported by many TV's, or even by most new consoles games either. And most TV's that size with 2.1 might also be above that price range. My 75" Sony XBR900H was above that price on sale late last year, and still doesn't have its promised 2.1 support. The soon-to-drop 900J still won't have 2.1 support out of the box.
Something else to keep in mind, if you're looking to get a console for smaller kids, then you might want a Nintendo Switch. The current Switch is only 1080p resolution. There have been rumours of a 4K version coming for over a year now, but still no evidence of that happening.
My advice is go ahead and look now, but don't feel forced to buy. A good TV, in that size, with all those features, in that price range, might be a bit difficult. Better options should be arriving in 3-12 months, and hopefully in your price range. Either that, or you will be willing to spend a bit more by then.
c'mon get happy!
[OP]
Dec 6, 2003
169 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
Thx for the replies guys! You're not the only one saying its mounted to high but I did it on purpose of course.

Thing is I like to kick back in my Lazboy and that way my eyes naturally look there. Lower and i'd have to make an effort to look down, which I do every day (Im very tall). I get lazy in the evening so you might call this planned lazyness !

I can wait, I actually thought black friday 2021 but I'm getting impatient ! Which upcoming models are you thinking about?
Last edited by Mandor on Apr 4th, 2021 1:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19666 posts
5757 upvotes
Toronto
Just be aware that the street pricing on the new models will likely be higher. Once the new ones are out, it's a good time to pick up closeout 2020 models though, assuming there is still availability. I bought the 2020 X900H because I was able to negotiate the price down somewhat and stock appears to be dwindling on the size I wanted. Plus, like you I was getting impatient.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2016
1172 posts
1529 upvotes
Waterloo Region
Most cheap TV's from decent brands are intentionally"under-spec'ed", to force you to shell out for the premium models. I ended up getting a Hisense
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
19666 posts
5757 upvotes
Toronto
Mandor wrote: You're not the only one saying its mounted to high but I did it on purpose of course.

Thing is I like to kick back in my Lazboy and that way my eyes naturally look there. Lower and i'd have to make an effort to look down, which I do every day (Im very tall). I get lazy in the evening so you might call this planned lazyness !
I was configuring my X900H, an I noticed that I can't really do a proper setup of the TV when I am standing because at that height my eyes are off axis enough to make it seem a bit washed out. I have to sit down on my couch with the midpoint of the TV at about eye height for proper tweaking of its picture settings.

That's going to be a big problem with your current mount (assuming you can't move it much) and your current seating position. You're a fair bit off-axis not only horizontally but also vertically, which is going to wreak havoc on the picture on basically any VA panel, and in your price range pretty much any high-contrast TV option is going to be VA.

Rather than going with lower contrast IPS or much more expensive OLED, an alternative solution would be to get a new mount, which not only can tilt downwards but also tilt sideways. That way you can have the TV pointing straight at you even when you're off to the side and below it. You'd have to get a pretty robust telescoping mount for a 75" TV though.
[OP]
Dec 6, 2003
169 posts
8 upvotes
Montreal
I checked and it does telescope out and tilt sideways. However it does not tilt up and down. Maybe I'll look into an LG IPS to minimize this issue.