Expired Group Deals

$79 Online Project Management Professional Certification from Career Match($1,248.15)

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 17th, 2014 11:12 am
[OP]
Nov 5, 2013
239 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto

$79 Online Project Management Professional Certification from Career Match($1,248.15)

$79 for one project management professional certification ($1,248.15 value)

http://www.groupon.com/deals/career-mat ... ronto-area

Course Description

PMP® is a globally recognized project management certification that identifies qualified and quality project managers.

The PMP® Certification validates that project managers have the necessary skills to complete projects on time and within budget. The exam covers the entire project life cycle from initiation and planning through execution, acceptance, support and closure. Project managers are in high demand in the IT industry and are one of the higher paying sectors within IT.

The exam covers pre-project set-up/initiating; project planning; project execution and delivery; change, control and communication; project closure. A candidate is required to complete a period of time in a project management role before they’re eligible to sit for the exam, and are required to submit an application or complete additional hours of continuing education.

Candidate job roles include project manager, business analyst and project team member. Companies such as CDW, Microsoft, Alltel, IBM, Dell, Ricoh and the U.S. Government recognize the PMP® credential. Improve your skills and your marketability by achieving PMP® certification

Course Syllabus

Module 1: Project Management and Organizational Strategic Business Value
Module 2: Organizational Culture and Project Governance
Module 3: Project Management Knowledge Areas and Process Groups
Module 4: Project Integration Management and Lifecycle of a Deliverable
Module 5: Project Charter and Project Management Plan
Module 6: Planning for and Identification of Project Stakeholders
Module 7: Managing Stakeholder Engagement
Module 8: Planning Human Resources and Acquiring the Project Team
Module 9: Development and Management of the Project Team
Module 10: Planning Project Communications
Module 11: Managing and Controlling Project Communications
Module 12: Planning and Establishing the Project Scope Baseline
Module 13: Validation and Control of Project Scope
Module 14: Planning for and Identification of Project Risks
Module 15: Qualitative and Quantitative Project Risk Analyses
Module 16: Planning and Control of Project Risks and Responses
Module 17: Planning Quality Management
Module 18: Quality Assurance and Project Quality Control
Module 19: Planning, Defining and Sequencing Project Activities
Module 20: Estimating Activity Resources and Durations
Module 21: Development and Control of the Project Schedule
Module 22: Planning and Estimation of Project Cost
Module 23: Determining the Project Budget
Module 24: Controlling Project Costs
Module 25: Planning and Conducting Project Procurements
Module 26: Control and Closure of Project Procurements

Worth it?
11 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2007
3102 posts
1713 upvotes
Canada
I wouldn't expect it to be recognized by, well, anyone...
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2005
2408 posts
555 upvotes
Not really sure what they are selling but this will not get you certified. I am guessing they are giving one access to a body of information. As a PMP, I know the certification process well. In order to become certified and get your PMP, you first have to apply to PMI (Project Management Institute) with you application for admission. Candidates are required to have either a university degree and 4,500 hours of project management related work experience, along with 35 hours of project management educational credits, or they do not need a degree and require 7,500 hours of project management experience (along with the same 35 hours of education). PMI will review your application for your work and educational experience along with the work references your provide. They may audit your application and refer back to you for proof of education or contacts your references (this happen to me as my boss at the time was contacted to confirm everything). If you pass the application and audit process, you are then approved to be eligible to write the PMP exam. From what I recall, the PMP exam was four hours long and cost something like $500-600 USD to write. If you pass the PMP exam (they don't give final marks but I think the passing grade has to be somewhere in the 65-70% range), you are then certified as a PMP and can begin using the designation.

So yes, this groupon looks to me like it is giving you access to content which may or may not be useful. It certainly is not giving you a PMP, which is administered by the PMI. It doesn't seem terribly useful to me. If you want a PMP, go through the process and study the content of the PMBOK which is the PMI project management body of knowledge.
Jan 17, 2010
936 posts
442 upvotes
Port Coquitlam
if a professional certification could be bought, it is not professional any longer.lol...
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2012
1729 posts
713 upvotes
Windsor
I checked this deal but they are not providing any information about PDU n without that this training course is zero...

There are so many online courses for $99 Which also provide PDU
Aug 24, 2009
746 posts
377 upvotes
Mississauga
PMP here as well - this looks like a good source of study prep material, but as others said this won't get you certified. You need to take a Pmi approved training course prior to writing the exam. I would recommend taking one through your local pmi chapter and you'll get the benefit of networking as well to share resources, study approaches and maybe even your next job. :)

Cj
Sep 24, 2010
289 posts
10 upvotes
This could be a good summary if you are just studying from the PMBOK. Without being able to see the contents however, as mentioned above, could end up being useless (or useful).

If you are serious about obtaining the certification, going through the local PMP Chapter is probably the best option.
Oct 27, 2011
182 posts
75 upvotes
Mississauga
Sneaky. They are missing the key word - "training". Or rather online training. Its impossible to sell the actual certification exam anywhere near this price. People who are unfamiliar with the subject may buy this thinking they are getting the actual certification.
Deal Addict
Sep 24, 2010
1921 posts
215 upvotes
PMP here as well. You need to write exam with PMI to qualify. This might qualify for the required number of hours needed for the cerrticiation.
[OP]
Nov 5, 2013
239 posts
304 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you for all the replies. Especially robster77 for a detailed feedback.

Decided not to jump on it, every dollar you save every dollar you earned :cheesygri