Automotive

7th Gen Civic - Would tightening the alternator wingnut really fix the temporary squealing of the serpentine belt?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 30th, 2018 7:43 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56003 posts
20914 upvotes

7th Gen Civic - Would tightening the alternator wingnut really fix the temporary squealing of the serpentine belt?

Some of the videos or discussions on various 7th gen Civic forums talk about removing the Power Steering pump but if it's really just the wingnut bolt I have to slightly tighten, how exactly do I go about this procedure after taking the front driver side tire off (flat screw driver to remove the fender well cover)? The gentleman talks about loosening the locking bolt with the 12mm socket but not sure what to do next to access the wingnut and how to use the ratchet (third tool).

I'm going to have a look around that area over the weekend but likely won't get to work on it until after December 8.

Any helpful tips would be appreciated. I didn't know that leaving the squealing even just for a short time can eventually damage the pulley or some component around there.

9 replies
Deal Expert
May 10, 2005
36347 posts
10587 upvotes
Ottawa
The squeaking can also be glazed belt and tightening may not help. If you cannot get at it for a while, you can try spraying on some belt dressing and that may remove the gaze and help.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56003 posts
20914 upvotes
I am guessing my belt is still made of neoprene?

http://www.daycoproducts.com/why-belt-d ... noisy-belt

In the past, simply covering a noisy serpentine belt in belt dressing would quiet that pesky belt. That’s when belts were made of neoprene. Today, you should never put belt dressing on an EPDM-made serpentine belt. Belt dressing, and other oils and solvents, may quieten the belt noise when first applied, but these oils will actually cause the belt’s rib surface to become more aggressive once they dry out, leading to even more belt noise issues.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56003 posts
20914 upvotes
I've seen that thread Derass with Hello Kitty in there. :)
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19169 posts
22068 upvotes
GTA
Are you sure it's your belt squealing and not one of your pulley bearings failing?
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
56003 posts
20914 upvotes
engineered wrote: Are you sure it's your belt squealing and not one of your pulley bearings failing?
I think so because it happens more when it's cold and when I turn on the A/C. If it's the bearing, shouldn't ambient temperature not matter?
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19169 posts
22068 upvotes
GTA
alanbrenton wrote: I think so because it happens more when it's cold and when I turn on the A/C. If it's the bearing, shouldn't ambient temperature not matter?
Not necessarily. Using a stethoscope (or a metal bar pressed to your ear) can help you pinpoint the source. You could also take off the belt to see if any of the pulleys are noisy when spun freely.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2002
2633 posts
1245 upvotes
alanbrenton wrote: I think so because it happens more when it's cold and when I turn on the A/C. If it's the bearing, shouldn't ambient temperature not matter?
spray some belt dressing on the "thread" portion of the belt, if it goes away/changes sound, it's the belt.
i would just change the belt if that was the problelm. i have sprayed belt dressing for up to a year on some of my cars, but it's just a pain to do almost everyday.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18345 posts
5963 upvotes
London
You can also spray some water on the belt to see if the noise goes away (belt problem)