Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12660 posts
3043 upvotes
Mississauga

8 hour layover in AMS - where to go?

I'll be landing in AMS in about three weeks around 10am and my next flight isn't until 8:45pm, so that gives me about 7 hours or so to do something. I've been to Amsterdam twice before and have taken day trips to The Hague, Haarlem and Delft as well so I'd rather go somewhere new. Any recommendations on where I can spend my afternoon? Their country is so small that I feels I could go almost anywhere. I don't really have any guidelines or anything in particular I want to see, just somewhere nice to wander around. I was thinking maybe Rotterdam or Utrecht?
7 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1618 posts
406 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
Alkmaar, Volendam, Marken, Enkhuizen..... Just to name a few places. Utrecht may be okay too, it has canals as well, but with lower banks, so they have patio's at water level.

Volendam and Marken are very touristy old-fashioned fishing villages. Alkmaar is a nice city with a weekly cheese market, it's actually a pretty nice place.

Enkhuizen ( and also Hoorn) are pretty nice towns to visit too, for a few hours.

If you happen to have nice weather, you could visit the beach in Zandvoort.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10336 posts
3516 upvotes
Just tossing this out there. Is there a flight earlier that you could potentially take (same airline/alliance)? It's worth asking at the origin airport and Amsterdam if they can get you on an earlier flight home. Though you are not entitled to this level of flexibility on whatever likely low booking class you are on it is worth asking. They may be in a situation where they'd rather you fly out earlier then later.

This is of course if you prefer to get home rather then spend the day roaming around. I prefer extended stops on my way to a destination more so then the way home.
Autocorrect sucks
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12660 posts
3043 upvotes
Mississauga
GangStarr wrote: Just tossing this out there. Is there a flight earlier that you could potentially take (same airline/alliance)? It's worth asking at the origin airport and Amsterdam if they can get you on an earlier flight home. Though you are not entitled to this level of flexibility on whatever likely low booking class you are on it is worth asking. They may be in a situation where they'd rather you fly out earlier then later.

This is of course if you prefer to get home rather then spend the day roaming around. I prefer extended stops on my way to a destination more so then the way home.
This layover is on the way to my destination (Livingstone, Zambia), not on the way home.
Deal Guru
Sep 6, 2002
10336 posts
3516 upvotes
Talamasca wrote: This layover is on the way to my destination (Livingstone, Zambia), not on the way home.
Have a great trip sounds interesting! Worth asking if you'd prefer to get to Zambia sooner. I don't know much about Holland aside from Amsterdam so good luck on your trip! knuks101 recommendations look pretty solid. Personally I'd hit the beach if the weather is good. Dutch ladies....
Autocorrect sucks
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1618 posts
406 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
GangStarr wrote: Have a great trip sounds interesting! Worth asking if you'd prefer to get to Zambia sooner. I don't know much about Holland aside from Amsterdam so good luck on your trip! knuks101 recommendations look pretty solid. Personally I'd hit the beach if the weather is good. Dutch ladies....
I was born and raised in Holland ;). About the beach on a nice day, it'll be packed, like really crazy busy.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12660 posts
3043 upvotes
Mississauga
knuks101 wrote: I was born and raised in Holland ;). About the beach on a nice day, it'll be packed, like really crazy busy.
Thank you for your recommendations. I've decided on Rotterdam, as it will be completely different from all the other destinations on my trip, which will be either be more traditional European cities (Madrid & Lisbon) or crazy adventures in the African bush. It'll be interesting to see a very modern city with some amazing looking architecture. I've been told not to wear shirts saying "Ajax" while I'm there lol!
GangStarr wrote: Have a great trip sounds interesting! Worth asking if you'd prefer to get to Zambia sooner.
Thank you. I arrive in Livingstone around 9:30 am, so the timing works out great. I'm actually looking forward to the long layover in the Netherlands as it's a lovely country. It was either a long layover in Amsterdam or an overnight in Nairobi, and I'm glad it's the former as it will be more fun than spending the night at some airport hotel.
Deal Addict
Jan 31, 2013
1618 posts
406 upvotes
Red Deer, AB
hahaha, no Ajax shirt, but maybe you should buy a Feyenoord shirt while you're in Rotterdam!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)