Automotive

8 seater SUV or Van - what are my top 3 options?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2021 11:18 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Jul 7, 2020
861 posts
473 upvotes

8 seater SUV or Van - what are my top 3 options?

Looking for suggestions preferably under $55k (if possible) some top 3 options.
Mainly for personal use & Navigation is not must assuming I can save some cost.
75 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
6208 posts
990 upvotes
Toronto
Try using search, I think it has been debated a lot. You have to have more criteria than price.
You are looking for Brand New? I think Honda Pilot is hard to beat - the 3rd row is actually useful and has lot of tech. Doesn't look too bad either. Reliability / Fuel Efficiency / Resale ... you get everything but luxury brand name.

VW is close favorite for new as well.
GTA Housing: Supply is the only Metrics that Matters
Active Listings has been the limiting factor for past 10 years.... and will be for next 10
Hence I pull exclusive data from MLS and update GTA HOUSING SUPPLY - Daily!
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
If you actually need to use the 3rd row... Van.

I have a Highlander. 3rd row gets used infrequently - vehicle was bought for extra tow rating over what the minivan segment would provide.
Feb 14, 2010
816 posts
793 upvotes
Toronto
Can't beat a minivan.
Kia Carnival, Chrysler Pacifica, Honda Odyssey, and Toyota Sienna. Drive each one and see which one you like. Its just that simple.
All can be had for under $55k new and a lot cheaper used.
Deal Addict
Oct 21, 2006
1051 posts
823 upvotes
My vote goes to the Toyota Sienna, roomy, reliable, comfortable, good fuel economy. Can be very equipped if you are willing the spend the money.
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2005
3139 posts
2525 upvotes
Definitely a Sienna. It's the perfect 3 row fily vehicle. Incredible fuel economy with the new hybrid system, Toyota reliability, awd, and plenty of usable space with good features.

Downsides: expensive
Sep 26, 2013
538 posts
1046 upvotes
I'm in the same shoe and have been looking and trying almost all of them.
if money is not an issue, I would go with the ford expedition. But that is 80k at least. if money is a consideration, i would pick the hyundai palisade for SUV and Sienna for mini van.
for people above saying 3 row mid size SUV is too small, you definitely haven't try to sit on the third row of hyundai palisade, kia telluride or a jeep grand cherokee L. During my car shopping, i sat in the third row, moved 2nd row all the way to the back and let my wife test drive them. The 3 SUV I listed have more than enough room for an adult. (I'm 181 cm in height for reference).
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
azraelluz wrote: I'm in the same shoe and have been looking and trying almost all of them.
if money is not an issue, I would go with the ford expedition. But that is 80k at least. if money is a consideration, i would pick the hyundai palisade for SUV and Sienna for mini van.
for people above saying 3 row mid size SUV is too small, you definitely haven't try to sit on the third row of hyundai palisade, kia telluride or a jeep grand cherokee L. During my car shopping, i sat in the third row, moved 2nd row all the way to the back and let my wife test drive them. The 3 SUV I listed have more than enough room for an adult. (I'm 181 cm in height for reference).
All 3 mentioned are basically brand new non established models.

No interest here.
Nov 9, 2012
13 posts
23 upvotes
OTTAWA
The answer is always van if you need the space, 2 row if not. It is ALWAYS going to be the more practical choice.

I went with the Sienna because I care about the cost at the fuel pump much more so than power. Second option would have been a Pacifica (although Chrysler makes me nervous), then toss up between Odyssey and the Carnival.
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
4585 posts
1826 upvotes
GTA
OP, how often do you foresee needing the third row? If you don't care about the stigma of driving a "mini" van then get it for sure. They are just so much more practical it's really no comparison.

If however you only need the third row once or twice per year and prefer the SUV look then as mentioned the Pilot is a decent option.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9500 posts
7886 upvotes
Kitchener
Minivans in this order:
Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid (PHEV) - qualifies for $5,000 in federal incentives and by far is the most fuel efficient 7-seater you can buy if you're diligent about plugging it in. 5,000km per tank of fuel isn't impossible in 3 seasons.
Toyota Sienna Hybrid
Kia Carnival (the least fuel efficient van)
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Chrysler Pacifica Hybrid (PHEV) - qualifies for $5,000 in federal incentives and by far is the most fuel efficient 7-seater you can buy if you're diligent about plugging it in.
And yet still falls one seat shy....
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9500 posts
7886 upvotes
Kitchener
KevinM56081 wrote: And yet still falls one seat shy....
Well, the Carnival can be bought with 11 seats......but I think you actually have to import the 4-row version from India. Literally a travelling circus on wheels.

Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Well, the Carnival can be bought with 11 seats......but I think you actually have to import the 4-row version from India. Literally a travelling circus on wheels.

An 11 passenger Carnival is totally irrelavent to the Canadian OP.

To get 8 seats in the pacifica you mentioned the OP would have to drop the hybrid option.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9500 posts
7886 upvotes
Kitchener
KevinM56081 wrote: An 11 passenger Carnival is totally irrelavent to the Canadian OP.

To get 8 seats in the pacifica you mentioned the OP would have to drop the hybrid option.
Terrible.....drop the extra passenger ;)
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Rob_EV wrote: Terrible.....drop the extra passenger ;)
Yeah. Some parents probably wish they did that jn life....
Deal Guru
Feb 9, 2006
12906 posts
7650 upvotes
Brampton
If you have heavy bulky cargo and or small children or the elderly the lower load floor or height of a minivan makes loading and unloading much easier. I didn't used to care when I was younger but these days I appreciate anything that makes me life easier.

I've driven a lot of SUVs and minivans and for convenience (and in many cases value) it's hard to beat a minivan over an SUV.

My pick is the Sienna> ody> used Caravan provided it's cheap enough