Automotive

8 seater SUV or Van - what are my top 3 options?

  • Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2021 11:18 pm
Tags:
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13378 posts
7642 upvotes
tim-x wrote: Don't get me wrong, I think those vehicles are sweet. I'd love one. I just couldn't justify the extra cost unfortunately and I wouldn't be happy with some mid level crossover pretending to be a full sized SUV so I went with the practical choice. To me it's all or nothing, and with the price of vehicles I actually want these days, I went with the "nothing" option (minivan and econo car for a family of 5).
That's primarily why I have, and will continue to drive an older one.

And that's why I continue to recommend used Armadas in this cases as they are a great value if you want the full size SUV. 2 to 3 year old top trims can be picked up for $40k-$50k and last another 10 years easily. The power train is bulletproof.
Last edited by Gutty96 on Aug 27th, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5195 posts
4946 upvotes
GTA
nowhere2010 wrote: No single recommendation on Subaru Ascent ;) Does it mean that we need to stay from this?
This is not "Top 10" competition and 4 bangers don't count.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Sep 9, 2012
5876 posts
5057 upvotes
Oakville, ON
nowhere2010 wrote: Looking for suggestions preferably under $55k (if possible) some top 3 options.
Mainly for personal use & Navigation is not must assuming I can save some cost.
Location: Toronto/Canada
To give you better focus on SUV vs Van we’d really need to know how you want to deal with luggage or “other stuff”.

Generally speaking, if transporting 8 people + stuff a 3-row SUV can do the job with the caveat that you won’t be able to bring much stuff or luggage with you at the same time.

A van will be able to take the same 8 people + much more stuff than an SUV.

So if you’re looking at 8 people + sports equipment, or + strollers, or + luggage, or + groceries, or + a walker, etc the a van is your best bet.

If you’re looking at 8 people + 1 or 2 smaller bags/items then the SUV may suffice.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 21, 2005
3220 posts
1192 upvotes
Lévis
You can have a 3rd row in the Tesla model Y.
Remember that while an BEV cost more for the car, the annual expanses are much smaller because of the energy. Might be worth to do the math. After a few years you might be saving money.
Pourquoi pas?
Newbie
Nov 9, 2012
13 posts
23 upvotes
OTTAWA
SPARTACVS wrote: You can have a 3rd row in the Tesla model Y.
Remember that while an BEV cost more for the car, the annual expanses are much smaller because of the energy. Might be worth to do the math. After a few years you might be saving money.
This is a bit... Fanciful. $74,000 for the Y 7 seat vs 40,000 for the Sienna. It's going to take a lot of time to make up the difference in costs (realistically, never). More to the point, those seats in the back are laughably small too, and there's going to be exactly zero cargo room in the Tesla with those formula seats. There's absolutely no comparison in terms of space usability. The Y is not going to compare with a van or a real 3 row SUV (except the old Rogue 3 row option maybe?).

I wish it was different because I'd love a proper family/space hauler that's an EV but until the ID Buzz comes along, there's nothing electric in this space (apart from the Pacifica phev I suppose, but for my needs it's less efficient than the Sienna).
Deal Fanatic
Jun 26, 2009
5195 posts
4946 upvotes
GTA
SPARTACVS wrote: You can have a 3rd row in the Tesla model Y.
Remember that while an BEV cost more for the car, the annual expanses are much smaller because of the energy. Might be worth to do the math. After a few years you might be saving money.
You are funny. Yes, 80 years from now OP won't be spending a cent.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2008
9584 posts
8138 upvotes
Kitchener
Tommy74 wrote: You are funny. Yes, 80 years from now OP won't be spending a cent.
At 20-25,000km per year, it would likely take about 30 years to save $75,000 in gasoline.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 8, 2009
5251 posts
3684 upvotes
Ontario
dexdeus wrote: This is a bit... Fanciful. $74,000 for the Y 7 seat vs 40,000 for the Sienna. It's going to take a lot of time to make up the difference in costs (realistically, never). More to the point, those seats in the back are laughably small too, and there's going to be exactly zero cargo room in the Tesla with those formula seats. There's absolutely no comparison in terms of space usability. The Y is not going to compare with a van or a real 3 row SUV (except the old Rogue 3 row option maybe?).

I wish it was different because I'd love a proper family/space hauler that's an EV but until the ID Buzz comes along, there's nothing electric in this space (apart from the Pacifica phev I suppose, but for my needs it's less efficient than the Sienna).
There are other options coming out in Europe. Maybe Stellantis will bring something over.

This would suit me - very practical yet not too big. Range is the big issue but would be fine for my uses.

Member
User avatar
Oct 23, 2013
300 posts
357 upvotes
Calgary
SPARTACVS wrote: You can have a 3rd row in the Tesla model Y.
Remember that while an BEV cost more for the car, the annual expanses are much smaller because of the energy. Might be worth to do the math. After a few years you might be saving money.
OP can buy 2 minivans for the cost of a model Y with 3rd row.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 21, 2005
3220 posts
1192 upvotes
Lévis
Tommy74 wrote:
You are funny. Yes, 80 years from now OP won't be spending a cent.
80 years? I think it's you and your math that are funny...
Rob_EV wrote: At 20-25,000km per year, it would likely take about 30 years to save $75,000 in gasoline.
I was talking of the mY, not the mX.

That being said, I forgot the mY with a 3rd row is more a 6-7 seaters so I withdraw the recommandation.
I was about to mention the Pacifica PHEV but, like someone who wasn't confortabel to recommand ford, I'm not confortable to recommand chrysler... But maybe I'm wrong.
Pourquoi pas?
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1523 posts
1064 upvotes
Ripley
I haven't read the other posts. If you want to fit 8 adults even for short trips, you do not want a minivan. I frequently carry 6 adults in a Sienna and they do not like the third row. The Sienna had the most leg room back there of all the vans we test drove. To drive 8 adults you need a full-size SUV like a Ford Expedition or GMC Suburban. Even then the third row isn't great and getting in and out can be a hassle. I suggest a full sized van if you can find one. Or better yet, just get two vehicles.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13378 posts
7642 upvotes
Maybe GM just needs to bring back the AWD Safari van?
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 22, 2013
2974 posts
2407 upvotes
Markham
Gutty96 wrote: Maybe GM just needs to bring back the AWD Safari van?
I was thinking the Vandura, if they can somehow make that stubby front crash safe, the rest of the van can be used for pure space.
Deal Addict
Mar 2, 2017
2281 posts
1928 upvotes
Honda Pilot is an amazing suv that also comes in an 8 passenger config
Member
Jul 21, 2013
350 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
We just bought a Kia Carnival, very happy with the purchase so far , loaded with Tech and looks good. We ended up choosing it over the Sienna because we valued the latest tech over fuel economy, but I can see people going the other way.

The most thorough comparison I found was Alex on Autos. The truth is, if you go for the Van (you should if you need 3 rows), you’re probably fine with any of the Van options in the Canadian market.

Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2005
1252 posts
73 upvotes
lestat83 wrote: We just bought a Kia Carnival, very happy with the purchase so far , loaded with Tech and looks good. We ended up choosing it over the Sienna because we valued the latest tech over fuel economy, but I can see people going the other way.

The most thorough comparison I found was Alex on Autos. The truth is, if you go for the Van (you should if you need 3 rows), you’re probably fine with any of the Van options in the Canadian market.

Which model of the Carnival did you get? Any deals available on them?
Sr. Member
Feb 14, 2010
843 posts
839 upvotes
Toronto
lestat83 wrote: We just bought a Kia Carnival, very happy with the purchase so far , loaded with Tech and looks good. We ended up choosing it over the Sienna because we valued the latest tech over fuel economy, but I can see people going the other way.

The most thorough comparison I found was Alex on Autos. The truth is, if you go for the Van (you should if you need 3 rows), you’re probably fine with any of the Van options in the Canadian market.

Nice purchase. Is it true you can remove the middle seat from the second row and have it facing the back.
Member
Jul 21, 2013
350 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
hello99 wrote: Which model of the Carnival did you get? Any deals available on them?
EX+, I wanted the 8 seats and have no need for those luxury second row chairs in the SX.

We picked it up just as the manufacturing issues were being announced, i suspect supply is fairly limited now.
Member
Jul 21, 2013
350 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
thelastword wrote: Nice purchase. Is it true you can remove the middle seat from the second row and have it facing the back.
You can certainly remove the second row seats, I can’t confirm whether you can have the middle seat backwards. I’ve seen the functionality in videos but I thought I read it doesn’t work for the North American models, I could be wrong though.

Top