Automotive

8 seater SUV or Van - what are my top 3 options?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 3rd, 2021 11:18 pm
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
8120 posts
2073 upvotes
Ottawa
Get a van then rent it out on Turo because minivans are so in demand. Extremely difficult to rent it anywhere.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 21, 2005
5792 posts
1337 upvotes
London, ON
nowhere2010 wrote: No single recommendation on Subaru Ascent ;) Does it mean that we need to stay from this?
We have the 7 seat version of the 2019 Ascent -- no complaints :) Plenty of space for our family (our kids like to sit in separate rows for road trips).
I don't think it'll be the most comfortable for 8, but the third row comes in handy when we need to carry more people.

The Telluride & Palisade werent out yet when we purchased so can't compare directly. I think the complaints/misconceptions around the 4 cylinder turbo are unfounded.
Plenty of power & torque (the same engine is going into the next generation WRX); and owners are using the Ascent to tow anything from boats to RVs.
The fuel economy is pretty good for a mid-sized SUV...in the summer, I am getting 9.6-9.7L/100km. With winter tires, I am averaging around 10.5-10.8
:idea: :) :lol: :razz: :D
Deal Addict
May 28, 2005
2418 posts
364 upvotes
Just wondering if a SUV like a Rav4 would be too tight if I had 2 car seats plus 1 adult in the back row. Not sure if i'll utilize the 3rd row seating in an mini van but then again don't want my mother in law cramped in between 2 kids in an crossover
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2015
8868 posts
5127 upvotes
Canada, Eh!!
Wilmega wrote: Just wondering if a SUV like a Rav4 would be too tight if I had 2 car seats plus 1 adult in the back row. Not sure if i'll utilize the 3rd row seating in an mini van but then again don't want my mother in law cramped in between 2 kids in an crossover
Even with thinned car seats it would be tight, perhaps ok for short trips.

Doesn't help that present gen of Rav4 has bigger middle floor hump in 2nd row then prior gen... so less comfortable for middle passenger legs.
2022: BOC raised 8 times and MCAP raised its prime next day.
2017 to 2018: BOC raised rates 5 times and MCAP raised its prime next day each time.
2020: BOC dropped rates 3 times and MCAP waited to drop its prime to include all 3 drops.
Aug 28, 2018
163 posts
69 upvotes
lestat83 wrote: You can certainly remove the second row seats, I can’t confirm whether you can have the middle seat backwards. I’ve seen the functionality in videos but I thought I read it doesn’t work for the North American models, I could be wrong though.
I’m considering the Carnival. Can you update us on how it’s been for the year? Any issues or complaints? Do you still like it as much?
Jul 21, 2013
350 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
nickthebrick wrote: I’m considering the Carnival. Can you update us on how it’s been for the year? Any issues or complaints? Do you still like it as much?
It’s been great, the tech, which was the main reason we bought it over the Sienna has lived up to expectations, particularly the 360 camera and digital display. I don’t care about the appearance of my car, but I have had people who clearly do comment how good it looks.

If I work hard as finding a small issue, I do hear a slight rattle when driving on the highway with the radio off. Reading online I believe this is a common complaint.
Aug 28, 2018
163 posts
69 upvotes
lestat83 wrote: It’s been great, the tech, which was the main reason we bought it over the Sienna has lived up to expectations, particularly the 360 camera and digital display. I don’t care about the appearance of my car, but I have had people who clearly do comment how good it looks.

If I work hard as finding a small issue, I do hear a slight rattle when driving on the highway with the radio off. Reading online I believe this is a common complaint.
Thanks for the update! It’s at the top of my shortlist and will likely remain there.
Jul 21, 2013
350 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
nickthebrick wrote: Thanks for the update! It’s at the top of my shortlist and will likely remain there.
Happy to hear.

The fuel efficiency of the Sienna is hard to overlook though, I’d definitely recommend test driving both the Sienna and the Carnival.
Nov 24, 2018
13 posts
2 upvotes
A tangential question to ask, hope I don't get flamed. Can anyone recommend any good links for decals, stickers for minivans to give it a macho/badass/racer look? I searched Amazon and Google and could not find something interesting.

Would appreciate your responses.
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
13410 posts
7663 upvotes
ysy001 wrote: A tangential question to ask, hope I don't get flamed. Can anyone recommend any good links for decals, stickers for minivans to give it a macho/badass/racer look? I searched Amazon and Google and could not find something interesting.

Ummmmm?

There is a reason you can't find anything.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2011
8607 posts
5525 upvotes
Mississauga
I mean, I guess you could slap a "Type R" sticker on your Odyssey and gain an easy 10 horsepower.Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Aug 28, 2018
163 posts
69 upvotes
lestat83 wrote:
Apologies for asking again, but I couldn’t find any info on a rattle. The only one was this link about a loose rear tie rod in the Indian version. Could you describe the sound a little more?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technica ... ction.html
Jul 21, 2013
350 posts
258 upvotes
Toronto
nickthebrick wrote: Apologies for asking again, but I couldn’t find any info on a rattle. The only one was this link about a loose rear tie rod in the Indian version. Could you describe the sound a little more?

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/technica ... ction.html
All good.

Check out carnival forums , I’m fairly confident I read something there.

To be clear, it’s a rattle I hear between the front passenger and seat directly behind them, only evident at highway speeds with total silence. It sounds like something is lose on the outside.

Kia has crammed so much into this car , they had to have taken the budget route somewhere , I suspect sounds proofing is an easy option.

If your seriously considering buying a Carnival, I recommend paying the $60 annual fee at consumer choice, great review there on all aspects of the car (and brand) plus a lot of other useful information for consumers.
Aug 28, 2018
163 posts
69 upvotes
lestat83 wrote: All good.

Check out carnival forums , I’m fairly confident I read something there.

To be clear, it’s a rattle I hear between the front passenger and seat directly behind them, only evident at highway speeds with total silence. It sounds like something is lose on the outside.

Kia has crammed so much into this car , they had to have taken the budget route somewhere , I suspect sounds proofing is an easy option.

If your seriously considering buying a Carnival, I recommend paying the $60 annual fee at consumer choice, great review there on all aspects of the car (and brand) plus a lot of other useful information for consumers.
Thank you, will do.
Deal Guru
Sep 3, 2003
12861 posts
1961 upvotes
Toronto
ysy001 wrote: A tangential question to ask, hope I don't get flamed. Can anyone recommend any good links for decals, stickers for minivans to give it a macho/badass/racer look? I searched Amazon and Google and could not find something interesting.

Decals or stickers on your minivan will not make it look any more macho or badass. If anything, it'll make you look worse for trying to compensate, in a half-assed and cheap kind of way.

Just own your own image and get over your own insecurity. The people who care, don't matter, and the people who matter, don't care.
Deal with it.
Nov 24, 2018
13 posts
2 upvotes
I like your response. Thank you for being honest.