Home & Garden

8 year old Samsung washing machine dead

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 24th, 2020 10:51 pm
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10243 upvotes
DoorCrasher wrote: Hope you are not serious? I just changed my laundry appliances few months ago after 24 years of good work. RIP my Inglis washer. Now, I understand that my new appliances will never last 24 years, but I hope it will be more than 8 years.... We'll see

As said, just replaced my 24 years old Inglis washer and dryer... bough new in 1996 for the price of the washer alone in 2020... And, as said, I do not expect those new appliances to last 24 years, but hope them to last more than 8 years. Hopefully I have not bought Samsung. Went with friends / family reviews, as well as Consumers Report reviews /tests
well of course everyone hopes their possessions lasts long, but 8 years for a modern consumer appliance is not bad at all.

here's an appliance repair shop's list of most reliable front load washers (based on problems/machine using service calls and machines sold) and samsung is #1 lol

Service Qty Shipped Qty Service Ratio
Samsung 8 178 4.49 %
LG Electronics 72 1246 5.78 %
Whirlpool 30 293 10.24 %
Maytag 204 1470 13.88 %
Electrolux 112 281 39.86 %
Frigidaire 4 9 44.44 %
Speed Queen 19 14 135.71 %
Grand Total 455 3494 13.02 %

https://blog.yaleappliance.com/is-consu ... eliability

and here is Consumer Report's rating

LG 9/10
Electrolux 7/10
Kenmore 7/10
Maytag 7/10
Samsung 7/10
Whirlpool 6/10
GE 5/10
Deal Fanatic
Oct 12, 2007
9732 posts
9503 upvotes
Winchester
Bull Dog wrote: I guess I have higher expectations than you Captain, I don't think I should be laying out more than 750.00 every 8 years to own an appliance. I wouldn't have minded if it was a fixable repair. I'm telling RFD readers so they know to possibly avoid Samsung brand, but feel free to buy Samsung if your LG breaks.
I hear you. Samsung has a horrid reputation - especially for washers - and I wouldn't ever consider one. What's interesting is that yours lasted for 8 years - perhaps they were better made then. Sadly, even some of the better brands have a 10 year threshold. Not that they will die at 10 years but most repair people with whom I have spoken have told me that unless you can DIY it, major repairs around the 10 year mark are not worth it. So, 8 years is disappointing but not awful.
Upvoting respectful and helpful RFDers since 2007
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1915 posts
1500 upvotes
Longueuil
Making appliances not as reliable as they used to (I know they don't intend to but they want to minimize production cost so it is a consequence) is quite bad and based on the replies in this thread, it seems we pretty much all accepted it (myself included). If they wanted to focus their R&D ressources on making the appliances more reliable, they could and they would last even longer than the older appliances (but they want repeat business and cheapest price possible).

Hopefully in the future laws will be more severe against these companies to protect the environment and the consumer better. In the end, it is much more expensive to replace the appliance 4-5 times instead of buying 1 (even if the price is higher) that would last 25+ years.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10243 upvotes
TomLafinsky wrote: Samsumg is in the first spot because they are looking at 2018 - 2019 washers and this web page was done no later than July 2019. Most new equipment will certainly last a year... Totally useless to look at such data.
I read their methodology, it's not limited to machines serviced which were sold in 2019 only

Is consumer report also useless? They have Samsung tied for #2 in reliability
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2716 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
StatsGuy wrote: I read their methodology, it's not limited to machines serviced which were sold in 2019 only

Is consumer report also useless? They have Samsung tied for #2 in reliability
If you look at front loading washing machines in the 2020 buying guide they only have LG listed as double up arrows in reliability, with Samsung, Maytag, Speed Queen , Kenmore Elite and Electrolux as single up arrows. Maytag and Whirlpool are built in same factory , but Whirlpool is listed as lower reliability than Maytag. Speed Queen is listed as the best brand in the August issue. So no, you can't trust Consumer Reports LOL
Deal Guru
Dec 20, 2018
10132 posts
10243 upvotes
Bull Dog wrote: If you look at front loading washing machines in the 2020 buying guide they only have LG listed as double up arrows in reliability, with Samsung, Maytag, Speed Queen , Kenmore Elite and Electrolux as single up arrows. Maytag and Whirlpool are built in same factory , but Whirlpool is listed as lower reliability than Maytag. Speed Queen is listed as the best brand in the August issue. So no, you can't trust Consumer Reports LOL
Being built in same factory doesn't mean same quality. It comes down to design, parts and tolerances/specs

And I would hope ratings change as new data comes in right?
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2019
1006 posts
457 upvotes
JEDI Force wrote: Making appliances not as reliable as they used to (I know they don't intend to but they want to minimize production cost so it is a consequence) is quite bad and based on the replies in this thread, it seems we pretty much all accepted it (myself included). If they wanted to focus their R&D ressources on making the appliances more reliable, they could and they would last even longer than the older appliances (but they want repeat business and cheapest price possible).

Hopefully in the future laws will be more severe against these companies to protect the environment and the consumer better. In the end, it is much more expensive to replace the appliance 4-5 times instead of buying 1 (even if the price is higher) that would last 25+ years.
I guess profits are not as good for shareholders if you buy an appliance once every 25 years.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2019
1006 posts
457 upvotes
StatsGuy wrote: Being built in same factory doesn't mean same quality. It comes down to design, parts and tolerances/specs

And I would hope ratings change as new data comes in right?
I think Maytag is their bells and whistles models and Whirlpool is basic models. However, if you watched the appliance episode on CBC, that repairman said that even the fancy models start having problems as quickly as the cheapest models.
Deal Addict
Feb 25, 2004
1915 posts
1500 upvotes
Longueuil
Katedontbreak wrote: I guess profits are not as good for shareholders if you buy an appliance once every 25 years.
Agreed, that is why there needs to be financial consequences to low reliability so that they make more profits by building quality that lasts than they do by selling cheap junk that keeps breaking.
Try not! Do or do not, there is no try...
Deal Addict
Aug 1, 2006
2716 posts
2392 upvotes
Toronto
TomLafinsky wrote: What people seems to forget when looking at a reliability survey of Consumer Reports is the fine print.

For example from July 2020;

"The results are based on survey data we collected from our members on more than 592,000 kitchen and laundry appliances purchased between 2009 and 2019."

Obviously appliances made many years ago tend to be more durable/reliable than the newer ones and therefore skew the results. In order to have a more up-to-date picture CR would need to only look at data of the last 5 years or so.
Probably a top load washing machine model would be more reliable, but wifey wants the front loader.....

Checked out Speed Queen front load washers - about 2600.00 - that's a no go.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
8130 posts
9317 upvotes
Montréal
Bull Dog wrote: Probably a top load washing machine model would be more reliable, but wifey wants the front loader.....

Checked out Speed Queen front load washers - about 2600.00 - that's a no go.
As long as top load exists I will never buy a front load. We are very happy with our LG top load and the matching dryer. Still miss my 24 years old Inglis that died last June. RIP, my old Inglis washer. You been perfect servig us, washing dirty pantiesPile Of Poo, baby bibs soiled with barf 🤮, dirty jeans with beer spill3d on Beer Mug, bed sheets soiled with... Ho, never mind Winking FaceFace With Tears Of Joy
Deal Addict
Feb 17, 2015
1172 posts
1626 upvotes
90.00° N, 135.00° W
I think mine was also 1995 or 96 but the brand is Admiral. Just replaced both washer and dryer this year. Washer was acting a little bit but still can wash no problem. Dryer was still good. Maybe 2-3 years more of life. But made the decision to replace them because of Covid. If the washer/dryer breaks we cant afford to wait for long wait deliveries and retailers only allow driveway delivery and no install at that time. If we are not in pandemic, I would definitely hold on and keep using them.
JEDI Force wrote: Kenmore washer and dryer from January 1995 here! I hope they won't die too soon because I don't expect the next replacement (which obviously won't be Samsung) to last that long.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4047 posts
3277 upvotes
Ottawa
If manufacturers make appliances that last 20 years but cost double what they cost now, would people buy them, probably not. Appliances have evolved with more technology, all the bells and whistles but consumers still expect them to cost less and last long, that ain't going to fly. Consumers want the best at the lowest cost but won't settle for very basic units. We live in a disposable era now, it's more economical to replace with new ones than repairing old ones. How many people want to repair microwaves, or dishwashers when they can replace them for just a little more than the repair cost? A lot of these repairs can be done by homeowners with so many help videos out there, all you need is time and common sense, and some mechanical aptitude would help.

Just like any mechanical device or a car, people need to do the regular maintenance to keep it running smoothly, a little TLC goes a long way. I saw many instances where people don't clean the washer filter regularly until it clogs up. Sometimes the problem can be easily repaired but needs time and patience ... and as long as you can get replacement parts. My LG front load laundry pair hasn't given me any trouble in the last 10 years but this thread had given me the incentive to look into issues and the repairs that may come up to prepare myself. I have learned to do a lot of repairs on just about everything and I get real satisfaction from learning new things.
Deal Addict
Aug 29, 2019
1006 posts
457 upvotes
gumby wrote: If manufacturers make appliances that last 20 years but cost double what they cost now, would people buy them, probably not. Appliances have evolved with more technology, all the bells and whistles but consumers still expect them to cost less and last long, that ain't going to fly. Consumers want the best at the lowest cost but won't settle for very basic units. We live in a disposable era now, it's more economical to replace with new ones than repairing old ones. How many people want to repair microwaves, or dishwashers when they can replace them for just a little more than the repair cost? A lot of these repairs can be done by homeowners with so many help videos out there, all you need is time and common sense, and some mechanical aptitude would help.

Just like any mechanical device or a car, people need to do the regular maintenance to keep it running smoothly, a little TLC goes a long way. I saw many instances where people don't clean the washer filter regularly until it clogs up. Sometimes the problem can be easily repaired but needs time and patience ... and as long as you can get replacement parts. My LG front load laundry pair hasn't given me any trouble in the last 10 years but this thread had given me the incentive to look into issues and the repairs that may come up to prepare myself. I have learned to do a lot of repairs on just about everything and I get real satisfaction from learning new things.
There's a washer filter?Anguished Face i don't think I've changed one EVER.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4047 posts
3277 upvotes
Ottawa
Katedontbreak wrote: There's a washer filter?Anguished Face i don't think I've changed one EVER.
You learn something new on the net every day Winking Face

For front loaders, there's one usually at the lower left of your washing machine with a small rectangular door about the size of your palm. The filter is a plastic strainer type and just needs to be cleaned out every few months so it doesn't clog and cause draining problems. You unscrew it counterclockwise to remove it, put something underneath to catch the waste water (usually stinks because of undissolved detergent and fabric softener).

The LG machines have an additional hose next to it and it needs to be drained also. In some of the YT videos for Whirlpool family washers (my friend's washer has the error code so I looked it up), there were socks, fabric lints, coins, blocking this drainage completely and throwing an error code because the machine couldn't drain the water.
Deal Addict
Jul 6, 2010
2242 posts
4463 upvotes
Katedontbreak wrote: There's a washer filter?Anguished Face i don't think I've changed one EVER.
My 5-year-old Maytag Maxima washer stopped working because the filter was clogged. I had to remove the back panel and clean out the filter underneath the tub, and then it started working again. Moving the washing machine to access the back panel was a bit of a chore, so it's not something I'd do every few months or even annually. (I never had to do anything like that on the Whirlpool I had for 15 years before I got the Maytag.)

On vacation
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17868 upvotes
GTA, ON
Yup, you gotta clean out the washer filter every so often, or at least check it for random debris.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
4047 posts
3277 upvotes
Ottawa
TomLafinsky wrote: 16 yr old Kenmore front loader HE3T and I've never cleaned the filter. Didn't even know there was one until today Face With Tears Of Joy
You'll find some treasures in that 16-y-o filter Face With Stuck-out Tongue And Tightly-closed Eyes I'm surprised that it didn't clog in all that time.

Just like people were surprised to learn about cabin filter in their cars. Pulled one 10-y-o filter out of an acquantaince's car that was overflowing with dirt and bugs. :rolleyes:
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
Katedontbreak wrote: Samsung is Made in USA
Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Mexico

My Samsung washed and dryer. 12 years now
Still going.
Last edited by Keigotw on Nov 14th, 2020 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)