• Aug 22nd, 2021 9:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Feb 24, 2019
149 posts
52 upvotes

80/20 ground chuck not available?

so I saw a YouTube video about smash burgers and the guy is from Canada .. apparently you can't get 80/20 ground beef in Canadian grocery stores but he knows a butcher who herds steer

just curious why this is ...seems odd
24 replies
Oct 22, 2007
698 posts
871 upvotes
Not sure what you mean? Grocery store "ground beef" is all the bits and pieces they cut off all the other parts of the cow in order to make it look appealing. They throw all the crap odds and ends into a bucket, grind it and call it ground beef.
Nov 23, 2008
367 posts
149 upvotes
Toronto
Sounds like a translation issue. The US and Canada have different names for cuts and grading etc..

Based on tthis, 80/20 ground beef would be medium ground beef.

As for ground chuck, you can always buy something from the shoulder (ie, blade roast) and ask the butcher the grind it for you, although I'm not sure if that would get you the correct ratio of fat to meat.
[OP]
Banned
Feb 24, 2019
149 posts
52 upvotes
The__Rock wrote: Not sure what you mean? Grocery store "ground beef" is all the bits and pieces they cut off all the other parts of the cow in order to make it look appealing. They throw all the crap odds and ends into a bucket, grind it and call it ground beef.

15 sec mark
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29044 posts
14590 upvotes
80/20 just defines the fat ratio. As @Zewo said, the closest thing we have is probably medium but that's quite a bit harder to find since most places are either regular or extra lean nowadays.

Not that I've been to the US in a while, but I don't think they call it 80/20 there either. I'm fairly certain that they also use a regular/lean/etc but they also have things like ground chuck which technically would be pretty close to 80/20. Just not labelled as such but as ground chuck. Ground sirloin for example would be much leaner and another thing that's available.

@Zewo is actually correct with the chuck thing too. If you can find a butcher that'll do grinding, chuck is about as close as you can get to 80/20.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
[OP]
Banned
Feb 24, 2019
149 posts
52 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: 80/20 just defines the fat ratio. As @Zewo said, the closest thing we have is probably medium but that's quite a bit harder to find since most places are either regular or extra lean nowadays.

Not that I've been to the US in a while, but I don't think they call it 80/20 there either. I'm fairly certain that they also use a regular/lean/etc but they also have things like ground chuck which technically would be pretty close to 80/20. Just not labelled as such but as ground chuck. Ground sirloin for example would be much leaner and another thing that's available.

@Zewo is actually correct with the chuck thing too. If you can find a butcher that'll do grinding, chuck is about as close as you can get to 80/20.
ya just wondered why it wasn't a "thing" in Canada ... anyway tks for the reply
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12994 posts
7102 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: 80/20 just defines the fat ratio. As @Zewo said, the closest thing we have is probably medium but that's quite a bit harder to find since most places are either regular or extra lean nowadays.

These may have been a little more than 80/20?

Regardless, they were delicious.
Images
  • IMG_20210704_165834.jpg
[OP]
Banned
Feb 24, 2019
149 posts
52 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: These may have been a little more than 80/20?

Regardless, they were delicious.
looks good
Deal Fanatic
Sep 16, 2004
9779 posts
2034 upvotes
Toronto
As others have said 80/20 is simply a ratio of meat to fat closest to medium ground.
I think ground chuck is usually mentioned because this cut naturally/closely composes this ratio.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3131 posts
601 upvotes
Toronto
JinP10907 wrote: ya just wondered why it wasn't a "thing" in Canada ... anyway tks for the reply
Go to a reputable butcher and have them grind a piece of chuck for you; they will easily be able to provide an 80/20 mix.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11081 posts
4333 upvotes
Sobeys sells ground chuck burgers
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12994 posts
7102 upvotes
blexann wrote: Sobeys sells ground chuck burgers
So does Foodland if you know to ask.

That's where the grind came from in my picture above.
Deal Guru
Mar 10, 2005
11081 posts
4333 upvotes
Gutty96 wrote: So does Foodland if you know to ask.

That's where the grind came from in my picture above.
Nice, makes sense because Sobeys owns Foodland
"If you want to improve, be content to be thought foolish and stupid." - Epictetus
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12994 posts
7102 upvotes
blexann wrote: Nice, makes sense because Sobeys owns Foodland
Yup. They are currently build a new Sobeys right beside our current ( very small and old Foodland) and hopefully the butcher and deli dept employees carry over. I am not shy, so I ask for what I want, and they always have treated me well. Close to butcher shop level at times.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6587 posts
6064 upvotes
Anyone else get completely turned off by the use of "chuck" to refer to ground beef? Is there a difference or just regional dialect? I equally dislike 'hamburger' when referring to ground beef as well (I think this is more of an American thing).
Deal Guru
Jun 24, 2006
12994 posts
7102 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Anyone else get completely turned off by the use of "chuck" to refer to ground beef? Is there a difference or just regional dialect? I equally dislike 'hamburger' when referring to ground beef as well (I think this is more of an American thing).
Not even remotely.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29044 posts
14590 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Anyone else get completely turned off by the use of "chuck" to refer to ground beef? Is there a difference or just regional dialect?
Technically yes because ground chuck can be ground beef but ground beef can't be ground chuck.
If I'm buying ground chuck and it turns out I'm getting ground round I'm gonna be pissed.
I equally dislike 'hamburger' when referring to ground beef as well (I think this is more of an American thing).
It is mildly weird.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6587 posts
6064 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Technically yes because ground chuck can be ground beef but ground beef can't be ground chuck.

Ah ok - I didn't know this. Thanks. I wish another word other than chuck was used though lol ...to me the word chuck is something you want to 'chuck' out (i.e., garbage) so I find it off putting.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Terminology.

Agree with what someone said about requesting a specific cut.
Images
  • 13EFAC45-5136-472D-97EA-391013DC12F8.jpeg