• Last Updated:
  • Aug 22nd, 2021 9:28 pm
Tags:
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1739 upvotes
Clarington, ON
UrbanPoet wrote: Forgot the RFD favourite.
Beef tongue
Bahahhaa! I love your sense of humour and lack of filter!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29347 posts
14850 upvotes
hierophant wrote: Ah ok - I didn't know this. Thanks. I wish another word other than chuck was used though lol ...to me the word chuck is something you want to 'chuck' out (i.e., garbage) so I find it off putting.
Shoulder would work but chuck is pretty generally accepted.
I think you're SOL in changing it, not that you're wrong about chucking it out.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
6698 posts
6284 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: Shoulder would work but chuck is pretty generally accepted.
I think you're SOL in changing it, not that you're wrong about chucking it out.
I get my beef from local farmers and I don't think they ever specify so I imagine it's round - this may also probably (partially) explains the difference in taste (I suspect it's also do with the breed and what they're fed)...I'm not too keen on the batch I got this time - fortunately I didn't buy too much and in sauce I can't tell but with burgers and kebabs I can... I don't care for extra lean or lean. Now I know there's a difference I will look out for it - I'm guessing chuck is better than round given your previous comment?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
50501 posts
14842 upvotes
ONTARIO
hierophant wrote: I get my beef from local farmers and I don't think they ever specify so I imagine it's round - this may also probably (partially) explains the difference in taste (I suspect it's also do with the breed and what they're fed)...I'm not too keen on the batch I got this time - fortunately I didn't buy too much and in sauce I can't tell but with burgers and kebabs I can... I don't care for extra lean or lean. Now I know there's a difference I will look out for it - I'm guessing chuck is better than round given your previous comment?
Waaay better. Eye of round is sooooo lean. Incredibly lean, theres just no fat. Shoe leather type cut. Super cheap… i seen it $2.99/LB on sale @ mainstream supermarkets.
As cheap as $1.99/LB @ asian grocery stores.

Good in a curry or perhaps something stewed in liquid…
I’ve seen some people sous vide it.
I imagine it’ll be okay as ground beef if you make it a mix of 80% round 20% fat.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29347 posts
14850 upvotes
hierophant wrote: I get my beef from local farmers and I don't think they ever specify so I imagine it's round - this may also probably (partially) explains the difference in taste
That's most grocery store ground beef too since round is cheap. No point in grinding a ribeye for ground beef prices.
Round is also pretty bland IMO compared to chuck even if you get the fat percentage right.

I don't care for extra lean or lean.
I'm not a fan either. Too lean obviously and fat is flavor.
Now I know there's a difference I will look out for it - I'm guessing chuck is better than round given your previous comment?
100%
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.