PC & Video Games

80 hours into Octopath Traveler - what to play next?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 26th, 2021 9:47 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3118 posts
4185 upvotes
Edmonton

80 hours into Octopath Traveler - what to play next?

It has been a great game with a newborn because it is so easily to pick up and put down. I bought FFVIII remastered on sale but haven't tried it yet (I beat 6,7,9,10,12,13,15 but have never done 8). However people seem to think it's not great?

I have a PS5 that I haven't touched. Demon's Souls will not be good with a kid, hah. Too frustrating.

I could play FFVIII. I could buy Cyberpunk and hope the patches are good by now. I could shell out the coin for Xenoblade Definitive as I have never played it. Looking for something that can be relatively easygoing and fun for an RPG, what do you recommend?
28 replies
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9008 posts
3311 upvotes
Demon's Souls is an easy game if you have common sense.

Other recommendations:
Final Fantasy VII Remake
Persona 5 (Royal version preferably)
Dragon Quest XI Definitive Edition

Final Fantasy 8 is one of the greats. One of the best soundtracks too.
One of the plot reveals and Squall not being able to choose Quistis over Riona are the dissapointing aspects of FF8.

For the "Tales of" Series: Berseria, Vesperia, and the Abyss are the best ones.
Blubbs wrote: It has been a great game with a newborn because it is so easily to pick up and put down. I bought FFVIII remastered on sale but haven't tried it yet (I beat 6,7,9,10,12,13,15 but have never done 8). However people seem to think it's not great?

I have a PS5 that I haven't touched. Demon's Souls will not be good with a kid, hah. Too frustrating.

I could play FFVIII. I could buy Cyberpunk and hope the patches are good by now. I could shell out the coin for Xenoblade Definitive as I have never played it. Looking for something that can be relatively easygoing and fun for an RPG, what do you recommend?
If you have a Nintendo Switch there are a ton of good games on it and the highest quality local multiplayer games out of all consoles out there:

Posted this in another topic way back but updated it now:

My rankings of Nintendo Switch exclusive games:

Nintendo Switch exclusives:

1) Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - the most fun local or online multiplayer racing game on any platform
2) The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild
3) Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Edition
4) Animal Crossing New Horizons
5) Super Mario 3D World + Bowser's Fury
6) Super Mario Odyssey
7) Fire Emblem: Three Houses
8) Ring Fit Adventure
9) The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
10) Xenoblade Chronicles Definitive Edition
11) Bayonetta 2
12) Super Mario Maker 2
13) Splatoon 2
14) Luigi's Mansion 3
15) Ultra Street Fighter II: The Final Challengers
16) Mario Tennis Aces
17) Pikmin 3 Deluxe Edition
18) Pokemon Sword/Pokemon Shield
19) Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze
20) Super Mario Party
21) Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Others:
Super Mario 3D All-Stars (Super Mario Galaxy 1 is the only standout game in this collection)
Astral Chain
The Legend of Zelda: Age of Calamity (this is a dynasty warriors style game, not a real Zelda game)
PokemonLet's Go Pikachu/Evee
Octopath Traveler
Kirby Star Allies
Paper Mario: The Origami King
ARMS
New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe
Yoshi's Crafted World
Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
Last edited by XFactor11 on Feb 21st, 2021 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2005
5105 posts
2166 upvotes
Ancaster
Blubbs wrote: It has been a great game with a newborn because it is so easily to pick up and put down. I bought FFVIII remastered on sale but haven't tried it yet (I beat 6,7,9,10,12,13,15 but have never done 8). However people seem to think it's not great?

80 hours of Octopath tells me you are glutton for punishment. Definitely give the Souls series (I suggest starting with Bloodborn) a try. The FF VII remaster is excellent, right up until the point they crap all over the plot. My list of suggestions for you.

1. Tales series as everyone already said, my personal favourite is Berseria
2. Xenoblade series
3. Persona 5 Royale and Persona 5 Strikers
4. Ys series
5. Trails of Cold Steel series

You could also grab some of the remasters (Grandia, Mana, etc.). Also, you can probably pick-up a PS:VR on the cheap. Lots of good content there, with WipEout: Omega being one of the best uses of VR I have ever seen, along with Zone of Enders VR and Beat Sabre.
Aug 20, 2009
8169 posts
3101 upvotes
Grimsby
Ys VIII really grabbed me after I was done with another JRPG. It took a little getting used to at first, it's more of an ARPG but I had a blast and its definitely a long ride. Just starting Ys IX soon too!
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2373 posts
389 upvotes
Personally FFVIII just isn't good in general, remaster or not. It's got some mechanics that are just straight broken, both from design and playability perspectives, Squall is eminently unlikable, most of the rest of the cast is just middling, and the story is just 'eh.

I'd recommend the Tales series too. My favorite is Tales of the Abyss, though Vesperia DE and Beseria are easier to get your hands on now and are also great.

Xenoblade is easy enough to put down and pick up and it's got a staller story. If you do play it though I *highly* recommend not bothering reading side quest text. XC1 is ludicrously long winded, often having dozens of lines of dialogue for innocuous fetch quests. I got really, really turned off the first time playing it as a result and I really like JRPG's. Just mash through the text and do the quests if you happen across the objectives

I don't think Persona 5 is the best game to put down and pick up randomly. It's not like you can't, but I expect you'd pick it back up pretty often and think "Where was I going/What did I plan to do today?".

Dragon Quest XI S is pretty good and generally light hearted.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3619 posts
358 upvotes
Leuven
Ascott wrote: Personally FFVIII just isn't good in general, remaster or not. It's got some mechanics that are just straight broken, both from design and playability perspectives, Squall is eminently unlikable, most of the rest of the cast is just middling, and the story is just 'eh.
Always interesting to see how polarizing 8 seems to be, probably the most of the series. It has been a long time since I played, what are the broken mechanics?

If I recall there is quite a bit of a grind for the spells and since you have to equip spells to get abilities and stats it was it was really important. The whole character levelling up seemed more complex in general.

Overall I really liked 8. The soundtrack, setting, visuals all were great in my opinion.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3118 posts
4185 upvotes
Edmonton
Thanks for the detailed input all. Shortlist (no particular order):

1. Dragon Quest XI
2. Persona 5 Royal
3. FFVIII - own it
4. Fire Emblem TH
5. Link's Awakening - own it, should maybe just play this (wife bought it and beat it)
6. Fenyx Rising - own it, wife's been playing this (on PS5)
7. Ys - never heard of this series?

I've beaten BOTW and FFVII Remake . Also, reading about the difficulty level of the last boss in Octopath, I think I am going to skip grinding that game further and just watch a video of the ending, hahaha

"Demon's Souls is an easy game if you have common sense" lol no, I do not want to be rage quitting when I have 30min to game while my kid is napping. A game that doesn't require twitch coordination will be best. I had my counterstrike phase in 2015 lol.

Cheers
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2373 posts
389 upvotes
BongoBong wrote: Always interesting to see how polarizing 8 seems to be, probably the most of the series. It has been a long time since I played, what are the broken mechanics?
Drawing and Junctioning. Drawing is just lame and de-incentivizes using magic unless you power game it, and junctioning can do really crazy stuff if you understand the nuances of it.
Feb 18, 2008
556 posts
1092 upvotes
Have you played BOTW?

Bladur gate's?
I lost the ability to remember things when I lost the right to a full night's sleep.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9008 posts
3311 upvotes
FF8 has the best game ending I've ever seen IMO. It even has a CGI home video running through the credits.
I'm fairly close to the platinum trophy playing it on PS5 (I've completed the PS1 and PC version 5 times before).

Top moments in FF8 that stand out as some of the best moments in any games ever made:
- Parade assassination mission
- Ballroom dance
- War of the Gardens
- the game ending

In the remaster it has some built-in cheats like Instant Limit Breaks, turning off random battles, and X3 speed.

Ascott wrote: Drawing and Junctioning. Drawing is just lame and de-incentivizes using magic unless you power game it, and junctioning can do really crazy stuff if you understand the nuances of it.
Oct 9, 2011
610 posts
234 upvotes
Bravely Default 2 is coming out on Switch in a week. Square Enix RPG, very similar to Octopath Traveler

I like most of the Tales series RPG but Abyss was probably my least favourite... (don't like the main character :p). Recommend Vesperia on PS4. Symphonia if you have PS3 or Gamecube
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2010
2373 posts
389 upvotes
Luke being an unlikable twat for the first twenty hours is kind of the point.
Oct 9, 2011
610 posts
234 upvotes
Ascott wrote: Luke being an unlikable twat for the first twenty hours is kind of the point.
I didn't like him even at the end of the game. He's one of the few protagonists with unlikable characteristics
Deal Fanatic
Feb 11, 2007
9008 posts
3311 upvotes
Luke in Tales of the Abyss is supposed to be smug and bratty.
His young age puts his actual age in the early teens and because he is not the original.

I think Tales of the Abyss is one of the better "Tales of" games because of the other characters.

Tear's hymn theme makes it stand out as one of the most memorable in the series.
Abyss is only available on Playstation 2 and Nintendo 3DS so playing it at this point is harder to do since it is only
playable on a retro console/older gen handheld

[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3118 posts
4185 upvotes
Edmonton
I tried playing a bit of Fenyx Rising and FFVIII, the latter is a nice game but too open ended and action based for right now where I play primarily in the mornings half awake. FFVIII has potential but unsurprisingly feels old and I miss Octopath mechanics.

Maybe I will just wait for Bravely Default 2, I hate those bobble head character designs though lol. Or maybe I go for Xenoblade.
Oct 9, 2011
610 posts
234 upvotes
Blubbs wrote: I tried playing a bit of Fenyx Rising and FFVIII, the latter is a nice game but too open ended and action based for right now where I play primarily in the mornings half awake. FFVIII has potential but unsurprisingly feels old and I miss Octopath mechanics.

Maybe I will just wait for Bravely Default 2, I hate those bobble head character designs though lol. Or maybe I go for Xenoblade.
Chrono Trigger (old school Square RPG) if you haven't already. but you will need an older gen console
[OP]
Deal Addict
Mar 21, 2013
3118 posts
4185 upvotes
Edmonton
jjesskaka wrote: Chrono Trigger (old school Square RPG) if you haven't already. but you will need an older gen console
I should probably plug in my snes classic system and go to town...
Oct 9, 2011
610 posts
234 upvotes
Redmask wrote: I still replay Chrono Trigger every few years and it never gets old. Such an ambitious game for its time.
Great story and music. New game plus function is great for beginner (played my brother's lv. 99 file back when I was in elementary school).