Travel

85 year old mother wants to become a snowbird, where?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 4th, 2019 12:58 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2093 posts
559 upvotes
Kitchener

85 year old mother wants to become a snowbird, where?

She has some friends who travel to Florida/Miami for January and February. There is no availability at the places they go. My mother is fairly mobile and would like to stay at a facility that offers, meals, entertainment and a friendly ambiance. Any ideas?
Budget for the two months, $7 to $9 thousand.
Need not be in Miami, just some reasonably warm weather and social activities.
10 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 14, 2011
1549 posts
633 upvotes
London
Have you looked into insurance costs? That can be steep. Sounds like cruising could fit the bill.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2093 posts
559 upvotes
Kitchener
Drakestar wrote: Have you looked into insurance costs? That can be steep. Sounds like cruising could fit the bill.
She's purchased ins. as she regularly visits relatives in the US. Thanks for the thought re cruising. I had the same thought and am looking into it.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11197 posts
3466 upvotes
Toronto
Cruise is great, but also depending on her health condition.
Also, is her partner still around? Going on a cruise on her own is very lonely. I cannot image going to see shows, dinner, and do other stuff on her own.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
5630 posts
1702 upvotes
Ottawa
If she just wants to get out of the snow and be somewhere warm for the winter, from Ontario, Florida is the obvious choice since you can drive there (even if she doesn't want to drive herself, it's not that hard for someone else to drive the car so she has it for the winter) and flights are relatively cheap and easy. On the coast will be expensive but anywhere a bit more inland is typically much cheaper. The further south you get, the warmer but anywhere South of Orlando is pretty safe to assume it will be frost free.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
1611 posts
1181 upvotes
GTA West
sam123 wrote: She has some friends who travel to Florida/Miami for January and February. There is no availability at the places they go. My mother is fairly mobile and would like to stay at a facility that offers, meals, entertainment and a friendly ambiance. Any ideas?
Budget for the two months, $7 to $9 thousand.
Need not be in Miami, just some reasonably warm weather and social activities.
When you add the requirement for meals, you really limit your options. The obvious spot for her is a trailer park where she could rent a furnished mobile home for a couple of months and find lots of companions and organized activities. But she would need to prepare her own food.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2093 posts
559 upvotes
Kitchener
Found a spot in Miami, Thanks all. Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Penalty Box
Dec 20, 2004
5280 posts
1280 upvotes
Toronto
sam123 wrote: She has some friends who travel to Florida/Miami for January and February. There is no availability at the places they go.
Are you telling me there's not one condo available in all of Del Boca Vista??
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2093 posts
559 upvotes
Kitchener
gei wrote: Are you telling me there's not one condo available in all of Del Boca Vista??
Hey gei, thanks for your thought. As I said in post #7, Mom has a spot at her preferred location. Honestly, I don't know anything about Del Boca Vista, but I'll ask and get back to you.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2007
2093 posts
559 upvotes
Kitchener
Hey get, I looked it up and thanked you for the smile.
Deal Addict
Jun 10, 2011
2045 posts
546 upvotes
Woodbridge
sam123 wrote: Hey gei, thanks for your thought. As I said in post #7, Mom has a spot at her preferred location. Honestly, I don't know anything about Del Boca Vista, but I'll ask and get back to you.
Ask to speak to Frank Costanza. He'll help your mom find a spot.