Computers & Electronics

$900 Acer Nitro 7 AN715-51-73BU Gaming Laptop. Buy?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2019 8:58 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3274 posts
407 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON

$900 Acer Nitro 7 AN715-51-73BU Gaming Laptop. Buy?

Looking for a laptop for other kid to start gaming. This seems to good for the price however I know nothing Winking Face. I would also be open to a desktop.

Looking to buy no within the week.

Acer Nitro 7
9 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1822 posts
985 upvotes
Kelowna
Seems like a reasonable price for a gaming laptop that is still high end. Sure, it's no Razer, Alienware, or Lenovo, but as far as gaming laptops go, the price point is right. I would say, "go for it." Only concern would be the 8 GB of RAM. Is that upgradeable to 16 GB later on?

If you live close to the border, you might consider an Eluktronics gaming laptop from Wal-Mart U.S. They are highly recommended and reasonably priced at about the same price point.

Cheers,
Doug
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3274 posts
407 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
dmehus wrote: Only concern would be the 8 GB of RAM. Is that upgradeable to 16 GB later on?

If you live close to the border, you might consider an Eluktronics gaming laptop from Wal-Mart U.S.
I can upgrade the Ram without issue and I am close to the boarder too however I doubt see any comparable prices online. I think I'll just order this.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2011
2527 posts
1070 upvotes
My concern would be the video card, not the ram.

Don't most people recommend at least a 1660ti?
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2010
1817 posts
896 upvotes
GTA
zzzz24 wrote: My concern would be the video card, not the ram.

Don't most people recommend at least a 1660ti?
Indeed. A week or so ago for only $100 more I saw laptops flying around with the 6GB 1660 version GPU instead, which is much better for 1080p gaming on laptops. I wouldn't considering a laptop for gaming unless it had mobile vanilla 1660 6GB vRAM at bare minimum.
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2274 posts
1520 upvotes
Markham
I would go desktop if you don't need portability especially for $900 and the current CPU sales going on. A desktop would be significantly more powerful and you get far better performance for your money, and best of all especially with AMD CPUs upgrading them in a few years is a practical cost saving measure allowing the old hardware to still keep up. A Geforce 1650 laptop GPU is even weaker than the already weak desktop 1650, this is the main concern with this laptop.

This is just a quick affordable build I did on PC partspicker that allows good room for upgrading namely CPU and GPU.
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/yJ8sK4

Not top tier by any means, but under the price of the Acer laptop and if you can get Windows 10 from some other source you slash $170 from this build making it either super cheap or go towards better components, and this will be superior in gaming than the Acer laptop in question.
Deal Addict
Mar 25, 2012
1822 posts
985 upvotes
Kelowna
JeganV wrote: I would go desktop if you don't need portability especially for $900 and the current CPU sales going on. A desktop would be significantly more powerful and you get far better performance for your money, and best of all especially with AMD CPUs upgrading them in a few years is a practical cost saving measure allowing the old hardware to still keep up. A Geforce 1650 laptop GPU is even weaker than the already weak desktop 1650, this is the main concern with this laptop.

This is just a quick affordable build I did on PC partspicker that allows good room for upgrading namely CPU and GPU.

Not top tier by any means, but under the price of the Acer laptop and if you can get Windows 10 from some other source you slash $170 from this build making it either super cheap or go towards better components, and this will be superior in gaming than the Acer laptop in question.
Why pay for Windows 10 Home when you can use it for free? I wouldn't pay $169.99, especially not to Canada Computers of all companies. I've heard bad things about them. You can use the Windows Media Creation Tool and grab Windows 10 Home for free, using it in non-activated mode. You will just have a small watermark on your desktop screen and won't be able to change your desktop background image. Neat site, though, that "pcpartpicker.com." Does it have a tool to check if certain chips and GPUs are compatible with a given motherboard and other components?

Cheers,
Doug
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
2274 posts
1520 upvotes
Markham
dmehus wrote: Why pay for Windows 10 Home when you can use it for free? I wouldn't pay $169.99, especially not to Canada Computers of all companies. I've heard bad things about them. You can use the Windows Media Creation Tool and grab Windows 10 Home for free, using it in non-activated mode. You will just have a small watermark on your desktop screen and won't be able to change your desktop background image. Neat site, though, that "pcpartpicker.com." Does it have a tool to check if certain chips and GPUs are compatible with a given motherboard and other components?

Cheers,
Doug
I put the OS in the event the OP wants to do it the traditional way, I just leave all options open. Not dealing with WIndows 10 frees a serious amount of the budget and its unbelievable its worth as much as a decent CPU. $170 extra either in pocket or added towards making this machine better is fine by me.

As for PC parts picker it does have a compatibility checker that will flag if it believes there's an issue, particularly the easier ones like chipset and CPU compatibility. During the Zen 2 release it was flagging all X470 and B450 boards when paired with a 3000 series CPU to warn users about potential BIOS issues because their stock BIOS will not boot with a 3000 series CPU. Its a decent check but its not totally fool proof. You can also remove certain retailers, in your case Canada computers. Its a decent price tracker too, but it does miss things out of stock but available for order for instance Amazon now has the Ryzen 2600X at a cheaper price than I did on this 2600 build.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2008
3274 posts
407 upvotes
Niagara Falls, ON
JeganV wrote: I would go desktop if you don't need portability especially for $900 and the current CPU sales going on. A desktop would be significantly more powerful and you get far better performance for your money, and best of all especially with AMD CPUs upgrading them in a few years is a practical cost saving measure allowing the old hardware to still keep up. A Geforce 1650 laptop GPU is even weaker than the already weak desktop 1650, this is the main concern with this laptop.

Perfect, I matched it this Acer 27" 1080p HD 75Hz 1ms
dmehus wrote: Why pay for Windows 10 Home when you can use it for free?
Is this what you're talking about. Windows 10 iso

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)