[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2003
2874 posts
72 upvotes
Markham

$900 in fines when trying to renew plate

Hi guys

I went to renew my plates and there's $900 in fines. They won't tell me what they are. I literally had this car for 8 months and I've been the only driver. I gotten no tickets. The car's parked most days due to COVID.

Do I have any other option other than to pay it? It's silly every year I go to renew plates and I get charged hundreds by somebody (worker) who doesn't give a flying ****.
17 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5516 posts
3096 upvotes
Toronto
chinaboy1021 wrote: Hi guys

I went to renew my plates and there's $900 in fines. They won't tell me what they are. I literally had this car for 8 months and I've been the only driver. I gotten no tickets. The car's parked most days due to COVID.

Do I have any other option other than to pay it? It's silly every year I go to renew plates and I get charged hundreds by somebody (worker) who doesn't give a flying ****.
Tickets don't go against the car, it goes against the plates.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
5681 posts
5076 upvotes
Where do you keep it parked...? On the street?
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2004
27628 posts
7977 upvotes
Pretty sure they have to tell you what they are lol. Typically either parking tickets or 407 bills. However other unpaid offences on the licence of the owner of the car are applicable as well. For example if you are somehow not the registered owner of the car and that person got speeding tickets, etc. they never paid, the plate sticker can't be renewed until paid. Edit: Sorry apparently only select tickets to the driver, can affect sticker renewal. I don't think speeding is included but apparently failing to stop for a school bus is?

My guess is 407/toll bill, to be that high, if you are the owner of the car and don't recall getting any driving infractions or seeing any parking tickets. Could be that someone somehow copied your plate or something and ran on the 407 thereby footing you the bill, either that or you used the 407 yourself and didn't pay for it. Also if someone else was using a transponder tied to your name/407 account--all the same.

Apart from that it could be unpaid fines which just kept climbing by way of not paying, getting convicted in absentia, and then getting late fees tacked on and possibly also getting your licence unknowingly suspended, depending on the conviction. Have them check your DL for unpaid fines or outstanding convictions (which they should have done).

IIRC you can also get screwed for having unpaid child support (?) though I think that's only on your DL not your plates, and $900 seems too low an amount in that case.
BeaverLiquor wrote: Tickets don't go against the car, it goes against the plates.
Oh yeah this too, if you transferred the plates from another car and had outstanding parking tickets on that previous car, would be the same thing.
May 21, 2018
507 posts
444 upvotes

You must pay it.
Don't forget to goo your attic!
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11246 posts
3500 upvotes
Toronto
I don't get it. They say you owe 900$, they are not telling why where is that $900 comes from and you also have no idea....

407 bills? parking tickets?

Black Question Mark Ornament
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Dec 22, 2007
601 posts
304 upvotes
Mississauga

transfer the car to a business and register it
Deal Fanatic
Apr 16, 2007
7870 posts
3137 upvotes
Financial District B…
DeletedMemories wrote: transfer the car to a business and register it
So what will that do? Prevent him from ever having his own plates attached to a personal car again? dumb reply

If they are 407 toll charges the interest charged is 26.82%
https://407etr.com/en/help/general/faq- ... faq71.html
----------------------------Licensed Credit Bureau member, S1, FI Automotive, CCP forums most banned = x 13 and counting, guess who that is?... stomped to the curb once again
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
15114 posts
16089 upvotes
Oakville

Every year you have fines on your renewal? They do have to to tell you. This smells of a troll.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
3861 posts
2651 upvotes
engineered wrote: Every year you have fines on your renewal? They do have to to tell you. This smells of a troll.
His story makes absolutely no sense- if he is a troll, I honestly do not understand what he gets out of trolling? What's the point of starting a fake and moronic thread?
Before responding to someone (online or offline) ask yourself: is it true? is it helpful? is it kind? is it necessary? This comes from an old Sufi adage that is so relevant today.
Deal Addict
Dec 21, 2013
1513 posts
1628 upvotes
GTA
bear20 wrote: 26.82% interest?! That’s even worse than credit cards. Literally highway robbery.
This!! Holy shyte thats insane!

Thanks Mike Harris. Still effing us over 2 decades later.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18379 posts
2204 upvotes
Woodbridge
hierophant wrote: His story makes absolutely no sense- if he is a troll, I honestly do not understand what he gets out of trolling? What's the point of starting a fake and moronic thread?
It's not as bad as giving out Thumbs Down on threads but I guess it brings excitement to their lives. lol

Who knows.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Guru
Oct 23, 2008
10981 posts
7337 upvotes
GTA, ON
engineered wrote: Every year you have fines on your renewal? They do have to to tell you. This smells of a troll.
It does sound like a troll post, but, I'm gonna give the benefit of the doubt (just a wee little) only because OP's been a member since 2003 & has over 2800 posts.

Why would they not tell him what the charges are for? I'd be reluctant to pay as well if they can't answer a simple question like that. My guess too would be 407 bills.
Tis banana is IRIE :razz:

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Sep 14, 2020
289 posts
155 upvotes
What does a private company (407) have anything to do with government renewing plates? What do they get out of it? Private fines (impark or 407) shouldn't have anything to do with ability to renew, unless the government is still getting something out of 407 tolls.

if a private entity like owners of 407 wants to recoup the money, they should need to go through collection or court (like any private parking enforcing company which you can safely ignore all their tickets).