$900 Stolen From My Fiance In Wal*Mart, They Won't Help

[OP]
Penalty Box
Oct 19, 2012
3359 posts
417 upvotes
Toronto

$900 Stolen From My Fiance In Wal*Mart, They Won't Help

My fiance was buying boots in Walmart in Vaughan at Jane/Highway 7 and left her purse momentarily in the bench where a couple was sitting too trying out shoes. She grabbed another pair to try on and in less than 40 secs she noticed the purse missing along with the couple. They disappeared in the aisles, my fiance ran to the front doors and reported what had just happened and instructed security to block the entrance and be on the lookout for the couple (white female with a black male and a small child).

Walmart told my fiance they were not in the business of law enforcement and invited her to pick up a landline phone and call police and see if they would come to intercept them. My fiance was shocked and called the cops who of course never showed up after waiting for them 3 hours. Shen called them again and they told her to go the next day to file a report. Shen then inquiered Walmart about cctv footage and they told her they dont have cameras in the shoe section. She then inquired about cameras at the entrance and exits and Walmart told her she was not a police officer to be inquiring about camera footage. So both Walmart and police are kicking her around like a soccer ball both not wanting to get off their arses and do something about it.

So she lost $500 of her own money and $400 of someone else's money given to her to buy gifts for some kids. Take this into consideration when you shop at Walmart and cops are giving you parking tickets. They just let 2 criminals walk away and dont even bother doing anything about it. Karma will come hard on this one.
119 replies
Feb 3, 2015
970 posts
192 upvotes
Toronto
Tough luck..... It's totally up to you they don't care. Any item belonging to you they don't care. She should have said they stole some Walmart products. That's when they will go into action.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2004
5394 posts
4178 upvotes
Edmonton
That sucks big time. Sorry to hear that. Just to prepare you - I'm sure your wife will be victim blamed by subsequent posts, as is par for the course here on RFD. Here's some posts I imagine coming up:

- "Why was she carrying so much cash? Who carries so much cash around?"
- "You should never leave a purse unattended. Always keep it near you"
- "Why didn't she stay at the entrance and confront them herself???"
- "She should use mastercard/visa or debit more often so she can get points"
- "Where did she get the cash from? Is it under the table money?"
- "That's what you get for buying shoes at Wal-Mart"
- "The security guards aren't your personal private investigators"
- "Maybe your wife shouldn't shop anymore if she can't do it without losing money"
- "Why didn't she file a police report on the same day? If it's not important enough for her to do it same day, why should it be for the police?"

And on and on. Just preparing you for it. RFD is the best when it comes to victim blaming. It's an interesting psychological phenomenon.
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
2362 posts
1177 upvotes
London
try sending an email to bonni.poch@walmart.com she mainly handles online issues but she can probly get u in touch with the right person to help u.
Dec 1, 2015
484 posts
124 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Post on social media. Go to the news.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2002
21572 posts
24455 upvotes
Toronto
that sucks. I guess fashion often dictates that women keep wallets in purses rather than on their person. Makes them a super easy theft target. Also carrying large amounts of $ is risky. With credit /debit cards instead she wouldn't have incurred any real financial losses.

I can see Walmart's point. None of their merchandise got stolen so they have no vested interest in getting this resolved.

update - times I've had my wallet stolen = 0. Times my GF has had hers stolen = 1 (in purse on crowded TTC streetcar). Numbers speak for themselves. Keep your valuables right by you!
Last edited by sprung on Nov 22nd, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I felt a great disturbance at KFC as if millions of chickens suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced." RFD user stephroll
Nov 15, 2015
369 posts
574 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Come on, you have to admit that Wal-mart does have a point. They are not the law enforcement and are smart enough not to follow through every claim that is presented to them. She also doesn't have any actual evidence that it was the couple that stole the purse other then they were there and then they left.

It's not their job to protect YOUR items and it says it in their policies.
adamtheman wrote: That sucks big time. Sorry to hear that. Just to prepare you - I'm sure your wife will be victim blamed by subsequent posts, as is par for the course here on RFD. Here's some posts I imagine coming up:

- "Why was she carrying so much cash? Who carries so much cash around?"
- "You should never leave a purse unattended. Always keep it near you"
- "Why didn't she stay at the entrance and confront them herself???"
- "She should use mastercard/visa or debit more often so she can get points"
- "Where did she get the cash from? Is it under the table money?"
- "That's what you get for buying shoes at Wal-Mart"
- "The security guards aren't your personal private investigators"
- "Maybe your wife shouldn't shop anymore if she can't do it without losing money"
- "Why didn't she file a police report on the same day? If it's not important enough for her to do it same day, why should it be for the police?"

And on and on. Just preparing you for it. RFD is the best when it comes to victim blaming. It's an interesting psychological phenomenon.
RFD also hates the "big evil corporations"
Last edited by KingAli on Nov 22nd, 2016 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5919 posts
1024 upvotes
I've done claims for Walmart.

Let me tell you no organisation is going to shut down there entrances or exits for a simple theft. Second you havd no right to view CCTV as there are privacy laws around that, police officers are allowed if it's part of their investigation. Sucks but people responsible for the loss are the theives not WM
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378
Ole Gunnar IN!!!!
I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11338 posts
3569 upvotes
Toronto
Sorry to hear her lost, but don't carry that much cash around to anywhere! If she received that amount of cash to help someone buying something, deposit in ATM right away, then use her debit or Credit card to pay for the items.

I admit this story seems very helpless from WM and police.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5757 posts
1076 upvotes
Toronto
Block the entrance? Lol the purse snatcher has left looong before she talked to security and probably wasn't who she thought it was.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18488 posts
2270 upvotes
Woodbridge
At least she didn't recycle* it along with her passport. LOL :(

Lesson learned.

Yes, I did it 5 years ago in US dollars too. Two weeks before leaving for Vegas.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
3575 posts
2398 upvotes
Toronto
Damn, that is a big chunk of change. I used to work at an AMC movie theatre and this grandfather had some time to spend before meeting up with his grandson. He came out of the theatre and told me he thinks the envelope full of $2500 fell out of his pockets. He was going to give it to his grandson as a gift for tuition. I tried helping him find it behind and in between the seats, no luck. Felt really bad, it was his savings he was using too Disappointed Face.
Last edited by redkulat on Nov 22nd, 2016 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18488 posts
2270 upvotes
Woodbridge
All you can do is boycott Wal-Mart. Don't tell you guys still plan to shop there?

Do you know what I got from family and friends when I told them what happened...

Dumb ****!

It's true. It's careless.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Feb 9, 2014
1311 posts
3896 upvotes
Toronto
redkulat wrote: Damn, that is a big chunk of change. I used to work at an AMC movie theatre and this grandfather had some time to spend before meeting up with his grandson. He came out of the theatre and told me he thinks the envelope fell out of his pockets. He was going to give it to his grandson as a gift for tuition. I tried helping him find it behind and in between the seats, no luck. Felt really bad, it was his savings he was using too Disappointed Face.
One would assume wisdom comes with age, sadly this old man did not have any.

OP I would be very frustrated if I was in your situation but that's just one of the risks with leaving your wallet or purse unattended. The risk of someone stealing your stuff is even higher when shopping at Walmart since stores like it attract a very trashy demographic.
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
20711 posts
4842 upvotes
Poormond Hill
It's hard for anyone to believe Gammatron. Gammatron, who did your "fiance" spoke to in wal mart? A Store manager? And what he say?
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14084 posts
3907 upvotes
Montréal
Wow, that sucks. However, imagine if Walmart did stop some ppl fitting that description and was wrong? Talk about lawsuit and public shaming, Walmart doesn't want any potential liability/blowback.

Sucks can't trust anyone and need to be careful about one's belongings. That's the world we live in, unfortunately.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Deal Addict
Dec 31, 2011
2715 posts
967 upvotes
Yellowknife
OP, such a large loss.
Why, oh why do people carry large sums of money? In Walmart?
What about depositing large sums in a bank and using a debit card or credit card to pay for purchases

It's just like sending money in the mail and wondering why it was stolen from the envelope.
Deal Fanatic
May 9, 2009
5988 posts
1828 upvotes
Montreal
Sucky situation for sure, but what exactly do you expect the police to do in this situation? It's not like they can watch the security video, enhance it CSI-style and then go "Oh yeah, that's Jim and Alice Roberts! Busted!"