• Jul 10th, 2020 8:23 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1005 posts
280 upvotes

911 and cell phone for a 12 years old

Hi !
We want to get rid of our landline number and only use our cell phones. But we gave 2 questions about that
1) If we make a 911 call from home and form our cell phone , will dispatcher know our adress ?

2) Our 12 years old kid will now be without any phone when home alone. We think that he's a bit young for a cell phone but that could be the only solution . Any cheap phone plan (no data needed) for him ?

Thanks !
9 replies
Sep 13, 2011
816 posts
487 upvotes
Québec
Any modern cellphone with a simcard in, can make a 911 call even with no active subcription.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15227 posts
3943 upvotes
Markham
is that a smart phone?
if so install Fongo App. get local free phone #
can register address for 911
probably need an active sim card for setting up Fongo app
after that you can remove it.

Then all you need is Wifi to use Fongo APP

another option is Fongo home $4.95 / month
https://www.fongo.com/home-phone/
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2009
2147 posts
1284 upvotes
North Vancouver
For super low use, low cost, I recommend a calling only plan with Speakout 7/11. Great solution for 911 and for calling Mom or Dad in an emergency - not for social calls. That's what we used for years until our kids got older and got smartphones with data plans. More info here: https://www.speakout7eleven.ca/plans and the funds you add to a phone are good for 365 days and roll over if you top up before the 365 days have elapsed. We had some old flip phones that worked really well with the Speakout system (which uses the Rogers network).
Frisbeetarianism is the belief that when you die, your soul goes up on the roof and gets stuck. (George Carlin)
Guns don't kill people, people kill people. And monkeys do too - if they have a gun. (Eddie Izzard)
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
1988 posts
1089 upvotes
Calgary
elgros4 wrote: Any modern cellphone with a simcard in, can make a 911 call even with no active subcription.
Do you even need a SIM?
Sep 13, 2011
816 posts
487 upvotes
Québec
Devhux wrote: Do you even need a SIM?
years ago, no. But I would use one even to give them a chance to learn information about the caller.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 23, 2008
1005 posts
280 upvotes
thnaks for all the answers.

Maybe I wasn't very clear (english is obviously not my first language).

1) We dont have 7/11 in Québec
2) If we make a call from a cell phone from home and we cant talk, will the 911 service be able to know our adress and send someone?
3) Looking for basic phone/plan for the 12 years old.
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1159 posts
270 upvotes
Toronto
Any tablet or phone with no sim with WIFI can use FONGO app and use your home Wifi to receive and make regular canada wide calls for free.... with a new local #...
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3929 posts
1153 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
tostaky wrote: thnaks for all the answers.

Maybe I wasn't very clear (english is obviously not my first language).

1) We dont have 7/11 in Québec
2) If we make a call from a cell phone from home and we cant talk, will the 911 service be able to know our adress and send someone?
3) Looking for basic phone/plan for the 12 years old.
you can call 911 with NO SIM CARD, they will NOT know your address, but they will have a rough idea of where you are based on the phones GPS location. it may not be exact house but they can narrow it down to 1-2 houses or so, but in an apartment building? forget about it. they will only know which building but not which unit. why whats the problem? why cant the 12 year old tell the dspatcher the address?
Hi
Sep 14, 2012
677 posts
390 upvotes
Montreal, QC
tostaky wrote: Hi !
We want to get rid of our landline number and only use our cell phones. But we gave 2 questions about that
1) If we make a 911 call from home and form our cell phone , will dispatcher know our adress ?

2) Our 12 years old kid will now be without any phone when home alone. We think that he's a bit young for a cell phone but that could be the only solution . Any cheap phone plan (no data needed) for him ?

Thanks !
Why are you cancelling your landline phone? Is it to save on costs? If so, how much are you paying?

If your family is on Rogers or Fido, you can go for their Wireless Home Phone device and get a rebate on the monthly plan. It would only cost ~$15/month and include unlimited Canada calling, call waiting, and call display. It is a device/box which connects to the cellular network and you plug a landline phone or a cordless phone to the device to make/receive calls.

If you really want to get your 12 year old a cellphone plan, I would suggest getting a prepaid plan with no monthly minutes (something like Petro Canada Mobility). Every minute costs $0.30/minute and outgoing texts are $0.15/SMS and you would need to disable data on the phone. You top it up with $100 and as long as your 12 year old doesn't exhaust the balance, it is good for 1 year and if you top up before the year and you still have a balance, your balance rolls over.