None
18 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4405 posts
938 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Did the price change?
If the item is auction with buy it now option, the GSP Import Charge is based on the BIN price, and then adjusted to the bid price when the item receives bids.

I believe there's also currency fluctuations so that may account for it.
Deal Addict
Dec 16, 2007
3906 posts
1027 upvotes
Toronto
I will never buy an item from a seller that ships through gsp
Banned
Sep 22, 2009
691 posts
312 upvotes
Toronto
I refuse to buy on eBay with this ridiculous customs crap. Buy on Ali express or kijiji.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1236 posts
329 upvotes
Does it take a lot longer to receive items that are shipped through the GSP? From what I understand the seller ships the sold item to eBay who then ships the item to the buyer.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28490 posts
14065 upvotes
hitman_24 wrote: I will never buy an item from a seller that ships through gsp
I specifically seek out sellers that do have GSP and favor them over sellers that don't.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4405 posts
938 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jackrabbit000 wrote: No, the price and the shipping cost always stayed the same. It's a Bid Only, no option to Buy It Now. There is no bid on the item yet, it's still at "0". The Import Charge was $8.37 yesterday and today it's $13.87. Currency fluctuations shouldn't account for a $5.50 change. I wrote it down, on Sunday it was $12.12 and Monday $9.36. This GSP sucks. :(
That's interesting... can you post the item number?
death_hawk wrote: I specifically seek out sellers that do have GSP and favor them over sellers that don't.
Not sure if you're being serious...
Unless it's for an item that's usually hard to find and the seller is dead set on shipping domestically, there is no advantage for the buyer in the GSP program.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28490 posts
14065 upvotes
dmxlite wrote: Not sure if you're being serious...
Unless it's for an item that's usually hard to find and the seller is dead set on shipping domestically, there is no advantage for the buyer in the GSP program.
100% serious.
For some reason I quite frequently pay less to GSP than I would pay for taxation alone via traditional methods.

Example:
$100 item with 12% tax here in BC.
I'd normally pay $12 in taxes if I cleared myself or $12+clearance fees.
GSP for some reason charges me $8. I have no idea why.

Also shipping is also usually cheaper via GSP than shipping direct.

So both points of the GSP program (import taxes and shipping) are cheaper than doing it traditionally.

Story time:
I recently got bit by Canada Post twice. Not only was I billed for import fees ($41 which included $31 in taxes and a $10 fee) but since I was out of town they couldn't deliver.
For some stupid reason they never left a card either. I was only told by my package receiving place. I tried contacting via various methods but failed. Took me 5 days to finally reach someone.
By that time it was already too late. My package has returned to sender. Actually not quite as it's currently stuck in limbo.
TL;DR if the original seller would have used GSP I would have received my package.

If 2 sellers were selling identical products I will 100% of the time choose GSP over a seller that doesn't use GSP.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2006
4405 posts
938 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
death_hawk wrote: 100% serious.
For some reason I quite frequently pay less to GSP than I would pay for taxation alone via traditional methods.

Example:
$100 item with 12% tax here in BC.
I'd normally pay $12 in taxes if I cleared myself or $12+clearance fees.
GSP for some reason charges me $8. I have no idea why.

Also shipping is also usually cheaper via GSP than shipping direct.

So both points of the GSP program (import taxes and shipping) are cheaper than doing it traditionally.

Story time:
I recently got bit by Canada Post twice. Not only was I billed for import fees ($41 which included $31 in taxes and a $10 fee) but since I was out of town they couldn't deliver.
For some stupid reason they never left a card either. I was only told by my package receiving place. I tried contacting via various methods but failed. Took me 5 days to finally reach someone.
By that time it was already too late. My package has returned to sender. Actually not quite as it's currently stuck in limbo.
TL;DR if the original seller would have used GSP I would have received my package.

If 2 sellers were selling identical products I will 100% of the time choose GSP over a seller that doesn't use GSP.
I've had purchases where the charge was above or below the tax rate. It could be something in how the item was listed.
But for some of the items, they would probably not be charged anyways. It is a game of chance sometimes.

If you refund, you do not get import fee refunded. If you want to question how the fee was assessed, it could also be difficult to get all the necessary document.
Banned
Oct 16, 2008
1010 posts
632 upvotes
paid $39.00 gsp.seller sent priority post instead.got my gsp refunded.

gsp packages, to my understanding are routed to Erlanger Kentucky,the item is removed from the sellers package and repacked for efficiency into another container,customs and duty completed and then forwarded to the destination country.you're not getting the same package and how it was packed by the seller.try doing a refund for an item that has been shpped with gsp.
Mar 8, 2015
76 posts
18 upvotes
GTA,ON
[email protected] wrote: paid $39.00 gsp.seller sent priority post instead.got my gsp refunded.

gsp packages, to my understanding are routed to Erlanger Kentucky,the item is removed from the sellers package and repacked for efficiency into another container,customs and duty completed and then forwarded to the destination country.you're not getting the same package and how it was packed by the seller.try doing a refund for an item that has been shpped with gsp.
That is exactly how they do it. I have used GSP many times before because I had no choice, but in all honesty my experiences have all been positive. Fortunately, I have not been charged any import fees from the final delivery couriers(Canada Post and Canpar). I still prefer regular USPS Priority or First Class shipping over GSP. I have tried getting sellers to ship that way but they couldn't be bothered.

The thing I can rant about GSP is how they repackage the items. It is ridiculous. One time I ordered a die-cast car with a fragile plastic case and it was shipped with NO packaging, only perfectly fitting a USPS Priority Mail shoe box. And another time I had an item just placed in a poly bag with no protection.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28490 posts
14065 upvotes
dmxlite wrote: But for some of the items, they would probably not be charged anyways. It is a game of chance sometimes.
The cheaper shipping makes up for those times you would have been waived.

For me at least I easily win with GSP over non GSP shipments.

But as with any international commerce, YMMV
If you refund, you do not get import fee refunded. If you want to question how the fee was assessed, it could also be difficult to get all the necessary document.
I rarely if ever get refunds. But if you frequently send things back then yeah it might be an issue.
I also don't question the assessments since I've never had one be more than the taxes let alone any sort of processing fee.
Same idea with documentation. As long as it lands in Canada without issues I'm happy.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28490 posts
14065 upvotes
JoeT99 wrote: The thing I can rant about GSP is how they repackage the items. It is ridiculous. One time I ordered a die-cast car with a fragile plastic case and it was shipped with NO packaging, only perfectly fitting a USPS Priority Mail shoe box. And another time I had an item just placed in a poly bag with no protection.
I'm not entirely sure they repack items. Most of the items I've received look like they're in the original shipper's packaging.
Occasionally I get a strip of tape indicating that it's been opened by GSP but it never looks like it's been repacked.
Sep 14, 2015
2 posts
Toronto, ON
eBay is an online store that offers a huge selection of products such as home & garden, electronics, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more from famous brands. Start shopping and enjoy the great prices with eBay redemption code, coupon code & free shipping offer
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28490 posts
14065 upvotes
Thank you spam bot! I had no idea what eBay was before your quite helpful description as I'm brand new to the internet.
I will be sure to click your stupid link that's probably filled with referrals, ads, and other general junk with haste.
Mar 8, 2015
76 posts
18 upvotes
GTA,ON
death_hawk wrote: I'm not entirely sure they repack items. Most of the items I've received look like they're in the original shipper's packaging.
Occasionally I get a strip of tape indicating that it's been opened by GSP but it never looks like it's been repacked.
Hmm, I am not too sure. I mean, I don't think the seller would place a die-cast car with no packaging in a Priority Mail Shoe box, at least I hope not. All my eBay GSP shipments had that eBay GSP indicating it was opened by the GSP.

I am not too sure that they repackage the whole thing, but I hope not. I was told that they do take out packaging though, which you may already are aware of. There is many youtube videos with proof of it too. And it makes sense for them to do so, due to shipping rates but I am pretty sure Pitney Bowes already has amazing rates from their shipping volume. So I guess they are trying to saver every penny. But it is still not right to do.

I spoke to eBay reps and they said they may have plans to bring GSP to Canada for Canadian sellers. Not too sure if I will opt for the program myself. Just gotta wait and see!
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1236 posts
329 upvotes
For anyone who has ordered a GSP item, how long did your item sit in eBay's shipping warehouse after it was delivered there? And how long did it take for it go get from Kentucky to Canada?

I just ordered my first GSP item a few days ago and am wondering how long I should expect to wait. It's supposed to be shipped international priority.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
28490 posts
14065 upvotes
It's not fast by any means but you're not looking at like an extra week or anything.
It's obviously slower than a direct route because it has to go from seller -> Kentucky -> Canada (I think Ontario) -> You.
So if the seller is California and you're in Vancouver it's going to be a REALLY long trip.

The actual transition outside of shipping times isn't more than a day or two usually.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2011
1236 posts
329 upvotes
death_hawk wrote: It's not fast by any means but you're not looking at like an extra week or anything.
It's obviously slower than a direct route because it has to go from seller -> Kentucky -> Canada (I think Ontario) -> You.
So if the seller is California and you're in Vancouver it's going to be a REALLY long trip.

The actual transition outside of shipping times isn't more than a day or two usually.
Yeah, my item is at the Kentucky eBay center now. Just wondering how long it takes for them to process it and ship it out again.

Does eBay give you another tracking number when they ship it out again?

edit: Just checked my eBay account again and I see they have tracking info right in my account. Looks like it's being processed at the eBay center now.