Parry Sound

12 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33726 posts
7364 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I cut the cord 6 years ago

But it sounds like a scam to me. They are basically charging you per box. They have no idea how many cable outlets I have in the house. The $7.5 is a total scam
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
878 upvotes
Toronto
I i cut the cable 5 years ago, been going to my local library to borrow movies and shows.
"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20424 posts
8461 upvotes
Toronto
No idea how this cash grab works. I wired the coax in my house and so I see as my property. Rogers brings their wiring to the panel. From there it splits too many ways to count and powers a bunch of cable boxes and modem. I have never had to pay extra for outlets.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15818 posts
2418 upvotes
It is a cash grab to some extent, but you also have to consider that improper wiring done by clueless DIYers and poor quality splitters can cause problems that can leak outside the home. Once you start paying for outlets you're using, Rogers becomes responsible for QoS on those outlets.
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20424 posts
8461 upvotes
Toronto
JAC wrote: It is a cash grab to some extent, but you also have to consider that improper wiring done by clueless DIYers and poor quality splitters can cause problems that can leak outside the home. Once you start paying for outlets you're using, Rogers becomes responsible for QoS on those outlets.
You have a point about terrible wiring. But, it isn't so hard to get it right also. Just need to use good quality compression fittings and don't source splitters from the dollar store. That is pretty much my formula for having a good quality installation. My cable modem reports some channels having a signal to noise ratio of 40 dB which is as good as it gets. No point in paying rental fee for a few feet of coax.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2010
3753 posts
156 upvotes
Barrie
I think you only pay for one outlet and get the next 4 free... might be pay for 2 and get 3 more free... cant remember.

I know after that its usually because rogers has to ensure that you are getting a proper connection in your house via an amp.
We don't know, so it's possible. And it's possible, so it's probably probable.
Banned
Dec 5, 2015
2038 posts
428 upvotes
Concord, ON
I love cable now more than before...I watch the new shows on demand and sports and don't have to deal with bs about finding good quality streams

I own my boxes . Way better than old shows on Netflix which I still have but haven't watched in months especially now that they've made geoswitching a huge pain

I have digital plus and have 2 HD boxes and a free hdpvr
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8072 posts
1747 upvotes
It's 7.50 per 3 outlets actually. It's stated in your cable package how many outlets is included.

Get the VIP package and 4 outlets are included.
Deal Expert
Apr 16, 2001
15818 posts
2418 upvotes
will888 wrote: You have a point about terrible wiring. But, it isn't so hard to get it right also. Just need to use good quality compression fittings and don't source splitters from the dollar store. That is pretty much my formula for having a good quality installation. My cable modem reports some channels having a signal to noise ratio of 40 dB which is as good as it gets. No point in paying rental fee for a few feet of coax.
You're describing an ability which the majority of cable customers don't have. ;)
Automatic down-votes: D-Link, TP-Link, Newegg, Canada Computers, any Chinese-owned cellphone, laptop or IoT device.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20424 posts
8461 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote: It's 7.50 per 3 outlets actually. It's stated in your cable package how many outlets is included.

Get the VIP package and 4 outlets are included.
I have a total of 6 cable boxes, all active and connected, plus the internet modem. I am on the recent gigabit + VIP package. Previously, I was on a different VIP cable and internet package. I have never paid any fees for outlets.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8072 posts
1747 upvotes
will888 wrote: I have a total of 6 cable boxes, all active and connected, plus the internet modem. I am on the recent gigabit + VIP package. Previously, I was on a different VIP cable and internet package. I have never paid any fees for outlets.
I have 4 boxes, 1 digital adapter, and the cable modem. I was told VIP only includes three, however I don't have any extra charges either. They may have changed it in the past 2 years to 5 or 6?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
20424 posts
8461 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote: I have 4 boxes, 1 digital adapter, and the cable modem. I was told VIP only includes three, however I don't have any extra charges either. They may have changed it in the past 2 years to 5 or 6?
I have had my arrangement for more than 2 years. Let's just agree that if we allow it, Rogers will gladly charge a rental fee for the copper they are asked to install.