• Last Updated:
  • Sep 15th, 2018 10:51 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Nov 5, 2006
659 posts
2781 upvotes

Last edited by coopercold on Sep 20th, 2018 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
9 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 8, 2006
1600 posts
459 upvotes
can it hold heat comparable to zojirushi?
Life is tough but so are you
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2012
2813 posts
1381 upvotes
Calgary
been thinking bout gettin a coffee press for work as the c̶o̶f̶f̶e̶e mud we make there is horrendous. anyone know whats the diff (if there's any) btwn the one in this post & the one I linked below? the one below has a $10 coupon discount if that matters (which it does....its RFD afterall).

https://www.amazon.ca/MG-Coffee-French- ... avel+press
Jan 19, 2017
37 posts
42 upvotes
scotsum wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 12:59 pm
been thinking bout gettin a coffee press for work as the c̶o̶f̶f̶e̶e mud we make there is horrendous. anyone know whats the diff (if there's any) btwn the one in this post & the one I linked below? the one below has a $10 coupon discount if that matters (which it does....its RFD afterall).

https://www.amazon.ca/MG-Coffee-French- ... avel+press
I've never used this specific travel press but the Espro french presses are extremely well made and produce significantly smoother/cleaner coffee than a cheap/normal french press, such as the bodum (It still gives you the full body characteristic of french presses). They are regarded as one of (if not) the best press you can buy.

The filter material is significantly finer, and there are two of them instead of one. Even better is that it seals inside the press as you plunge - so you can drink a cup and leave some in the press for later without worrying about it over-brewing. Make sure you are grinding correctly and this press (brew for ~ 4 minutes) combined with well roasted fresh coffee can give you an outstanding cup of coffee.
Mar 23, 2018
31 posts
11 upvotes
Thanks OP! Ordered 2 via Ebates. We got the regular French press Espro and my partner has finally stopped complaining about grit in his coffee ><
Nov 21, 2011
68 posts
59 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
alexyyc wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 3:13 pm
I've never used this specific travel press but the Espro french presses are extremely well made and produce significantly smoother/cleaner coffee than a cheap/normal french press, such as the bodum (It still gives you the full body characteristic of french presses). They are regarded as one of (if not) the best press you can buy.

The filter material is significantly finer, and there are two of them instead of one. Even better is that it seals inside the press as you plunge - so you can drink a cup and leave some in the press for later without worrying about it over-brewing. Make sure you are grinding correctly and this press (brew for ~ 4 minutes) combined with well roasted fresh coffee can give you an outstanding cup of coffee.
I was looking at these presses but a bunch of reviews indicate it leaves room in bottom so you have 1/2 cup coffee just stuck in the bottom. Which model do you have and maybe it's something they are doing? I have a cheap french press but looking to upgrade mine at some point. Also with espro do you grind the coffee to same coarse ground consistency?
Jan 19, 2017
37 posts
42 upvotes
nigelregal wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 7:38 pm
I was looking at these presses but a bunch of reviews indicate it leaves room in bottom so you have 1/2 cup coffee just stuck in the bottom. Which model do you have and maybe it's something they are doing? I have a cheap french press but looking to upgrade mine at some point. Also with espro do you grind the coffee to same coarse ground consistency?
I have the P7. It's built like a tank. There is a little left because the filter is larger, but it's definitely not a full cup. You can get it out if you want though: http://espro.ca/esproblog/2015/10/27/ge ... spro-press

Yeah you would use a normal french press grind. Medium-course to course generally speaking, but use whatever suits the coffee you are using. Using fresh, good quality coffee (not grocery store coffee) and a proper grinder (anything from baratza or equivalent) will make the world of difference too.
Nov 21, 2011
68 posts
59 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
alexyyc wrote:
Sep 12th, 2018 10:19 pm
I have the P7. It's built like a tank. There is a little left because the filter is larger, but it's definitely not a full cup. You can get it out if you want though: http://espro.ca/esproblog/2015/10/27/ge ... spro-press

Yeah you would use a normal french press grind. Medium-course to course generally speaking, but use whatever suits the coffee you are using. Using fresh, good quality coffee (not grocery store coffee) and a proper grinder (anything from baratza or equivalent) will make the world of difference too.
I have the Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Grinder. Right now I use the very last notch for the most coarse grind for my french press. I am unsure if I am able to use a more fine grind and if so what difference might be. I guess I can test it out tomorrow.