• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2018 6:47 pm
[OP]
Banned
Dec 26, 2018
2 posts

Last edited by jbrown301 on Dec 29th, 2018 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Share:
9 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 24, 2007
14362 posts
2352 upvotes
In times where many are cutting on service and generally any improvement to this entity, I would be celebrating and not complaining. Viva Rapid Transit is part of the P3 model and thus some of the expenses running the service are shared by the private owners also.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5556 posts
540 upvotes
I have always felt the same way about the Sheppard Subway line. It was built thanks to Mel Lastman's political skills rather than the need for mass transit in the area. Is there a city councilor in the area who lobbied for this project?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2011
3156 posts
372 upvotes
RICHMOND HILL
I mean if you don't mind us 905ers clogging up the Finch parking lots then I guess it's fine to shut down the Sheppard line. I admit Don Mills is the only station on the line which brings a significant amount of riders to Sheppard station, but I don't really want to drive down the traffic hell that is Finch whenever I go downtown.

And forget about the YRT. It doesn't come on time, doesn't come often enough, and sometimes doesn't even come at all.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
194 upvotes
Markham, ON
I wonder if they are leftover developmental funds. Or maybe reserve funds from condominiums. Like you said, the people who would use it the most would be the people who resides in the 100 to 200 houses.

I don't know the area but some new housing projects have development funds which could go into public transit systems. The people who would use transit the most would be kids who cannot drive. Some seniors also cannot drive.
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1299 posts
437 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Wrt the initial post, my mom was just recently saying the exact same thing. So you're not the only one for whom this undertaking makes no sense. (Not that answers your query). Wasn't the Bessarion station built for that reason, i.e. some developer/friend of Lastman who wanted it built?
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2004
1324 posts
221 upvotes
Well Mel Lastman's vision is how most other countries develops their transit systems...you build the transit then you develop the area.
In a way, you can see how that vision unfolds now.

The houses near Bayview Village gets knocked down and a bunch of condos are now being built around it. I think houses near the Bessarion will most likely get the same treatment.

Look at the Downtown Relief Line...so much planning and no work actually done after all these years.
It's very expensive to plan transit around a well developed area.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2018
2704 posts
1993 upvotes
jbrown301 wrote: I don't understand this at all. I actually made an account to start a discussion about this on here. Maybe someone here will know the answer. Any one here took the viva purple (now orange) from Yonge street in richmond hill (richmond hill centre) to highway 7 west? There used to be a stop at richmond hill centre obviously, then the next stop was atkinson on bathurst and atkinson near bathurst and highway 7. But apparently now they are adding a new stop between these 2 stop right on the ramp on bathurst and highway 7. What is the reason for this additional stop? There is literally nothing around there. The only people who can benefit is the 100-200 houses immediately near that area, and I bet 90% of them don't even take the bus. Who on earth approved funding for this extra unnecessary stop and why are our tax dollars being abused like this? If you don't believe me go on google maps and look at bathurst and highway 7. They are literally constructing a huge bus stop shelter which costs millions of dollars, right at the entrance ramp to highway 7. What on earth? Anyone who wants to go north or south on bathurst can just get off at the exiting bathurst/atkinson stop which is 2 minutes away.
You do know transportation infrastructure especially transit is built to serve future volume and not current volume right?

They are widening Bathurst and will have more transit on Bathurst so need a station for people to change to and from the hwy 7 route that connects to the subway at VMC and the go station

http://www.vivanext.com/project_map
Dec 18, 2017
813 posts
453 upvotes
London, On
Why do you assume that golf course is going to stay a golf course? I mean, Glen Abbey is going away supposedly, how safe can RHGC be?
Dec 18, 2017
813 posts
453 upvotes
London, On
Well, that's mature lol