[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
5562 posts
485 upvotes
GT-EH

---

---
Last edited by Premium on Jul 15th, 2020 10:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
30 replies
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
14325 posts
26779 upvotes
Scarborough
I buy Lotto Max tickets online every so often. I've only ever won $20 or free tickets and they'd just be added to my account automatically. I've never tried to cash out (since I'd just use any winnings to buy more tickets) but apparently you just request a transfer to your bank account and there's no fees for doing so.
RFD Staff [Forum Rules] [Facebook] [Twitter].
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15137 posts
12229 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Still buying Lottery Tkts at Gas Station Convenience Stores
Especially when I turn the cash spent into another way to earn back on my money
Using a Loyalty or Cash Back CC
And shopping where other Loyalty Points are given too...

Petro-Canada = Earn Petro Points on Lottery Tkts
Shell Canada = Earn AirMiles on Lottery Tkts

Most other Points Programs don’t give points on Lottery Tkt Purchases (ie PCO )

Another way to multi dip ... if you are looking to buy Lottery Tkts online
Is to use a Lottery GC
In Ontario OLG Cards are often sold with a promo or discount at Retailers like Shell *
Get the discount / get the miles
Win - Win

EDIT / ADD :

* When Shell has them on promo you’ll find that info on their website
https://www.shell.ca/en_ca/motorists/lo ... yment.html

The RFD HOT DEALS Gift Card thread is also a place to find Lottery GC promos
various-retailers-gift-card-deals-disco ... 0-2344941/
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1427 posts
903 upvotes
Vancouver
If you win a free play online, you're automatically added to the next draw.
Deal Guru
Feb 23, 2008
12214 posts
1131 upvotes
Brampton
TomRFD wrote: I buy Lotto Max tickets online every so often. I've only ever won $20 or free tickets and they'd just be added to my account automatically. I've never tried to cash out (since I'd just use any winnings to buy more tickets) but apparently you just request a transfer to your bank account and there's no fees for doing so.
We need to upload a copy of our bank statement to cash out. I don't want to give them my bank statement.
Lets Go Blue Jays!!!
Temp. Banned
Sep 15, 2014
2461 posts
1242 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Alivenate wrote: If you win a free play online, you're automatically added to the next draw.
You can't pick and choose which draw to play?
Ugh.

I save up my winnings and use them when the jackpot is big. Like tonight.
This space for rent.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1427 posts
903 upvotes
Vancouver
TheImp wrote: You can't pick and choose which draw to play?
Ugh.

I save up my winnings and use them when the jackpot is big. Like tonight.
Nope. Not in my experience anyways. Mind you I've only played a couple of times online so if there is a function where you can save it, then they automatically enter you for the next draw. Besides, in my experience, the most I've won from a free play is either another free play or $1. I don't think I've ever heard of someone winning more than $10 or $20 from a free play, or a larger sum of money.
Jul 15, 2003
706 posts
241 upvotes
Ottawa
Also a warning that using a credit card for online lottery tickets most likely will be considered a cash advance. I got nailed with a cash advance fee and interest over Christmas by using a BMO MasterCard.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15137 posts
12229 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
rodenti wrote: Also a warning that using a credit card for online lottery tickets most likely will be considered a cash advance. I got nailed with a cash advance fee and interest over Christmas by using a BMO MasterCard.
Interesting
Deal Expert
Jan 15, 2006
15364 posts
12832 upvotes
Richmond Hill
rodenti wrote: Also a warning that using a credit card for online lottery tickets most likely will be considered a cash advance. I got nailed with a cash advance fee and interest over Christmas by using a BMO MasterCard.
Yup need to be super careful with lottery purchases. Most if not all CC’s will consider these purchases as cash advances.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2017
1956 posts
1873 upvotes
Lottery booth as well, guaranteed.
They should have warning sign but they never do.
Gas stations and grocery stores(print ticket from cashier), are hit and miss. I simply never use CC for lottery tickets no matter where I buy.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2018
1427 posts
903 upvotes
Vancouver
Dreamrider wrote: Lottery booth as well, guaranteed.
They should have warning sign but they never do.
Gas stations and grocery stores(print ticket from cashier), are hit and miss. I simply never use CC for lottery tickets no matter where I buy.
Only time I can sneak lotto purchases in is when I grocery shop at retailers that have those little slips at the checkout lanes like RCSS and Save Ons. The system doesn't recognize that there is a lottery purchase in there so it processes it entirely as a transaction instead of charging that cash advance fee. I believe this is only a BC thing for the slips at the cashier registers.
Deal Addict
Jan 3, 2014
2749 posts
1945 upvotes
Vancouver(ish)
Premium wrote: Anyone try to buy tickets for Lotto 649 or Lotto Max online? If you win, how do you cash out or even play free tickets etc? Is it convenient? Curiosity as this would save my time from going to convenience store every week.
Wonderfully convenient. You can have a subscription purchase every draw, winnings are automatically deposited into your online account, and free plays are automatically purchases Cashing out to a bank account and I've never had any issues.

You can set weekly deposit limits so you don't go over your budget and you can do it in your PJs.
Proud RFD member since January 31, 2007. Feel free to add 3,034 to my post count.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
15137 posts
12229 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Alivenate wrote: Only time I can sneak lotto purchases in is when I grocery shop at retailers that have those little slips at the checkout lanes like RCSS and Save Ons. The system doesn't recognize that there is a lottery purchase in there so it processes it entirely as a transaction instead of charging that cash advance fee. I believe this is only a BC thing for the slips at the cashier registers.
We introduced those quick pick slips here in Ontario Grocery Stores a year or so ago.
Metro & AirMiles even ran a promo on them for awhile ... Bonus Miles if you buy a Lottery Ticket from a Grocery Store Cashier vs Customer Service.

I don’t mind the concept
But as I recall ... the Tickets looked slightly different
With the actual numbers obscured. So you didn’t know what you had bought.
Just a bar code to scan to tell you if the registered ticket was a winner or loser

Therefore ... not a fan
And no longer buy them unless AMs is running another Bonus Miles with purchase promo

https://lottery.olg.ca/en-ca/quickticket
Sep 21, 2017
168 posts
93 upvotes
Vancouver
Premium wrote: Anyone try to buy tickets for Lotto 649 or Lotto Max online? If you win, how do you cash out or even play free tickets etc? Is it convenient? Curiosity as this would save my time from going to convenience store every week.
I think it is different between provinces, in BC playnow.com is super convenient. You just can set up subscriptions to buy every drawing or a set number in a row. To deposit you can use interact online, or do a bank transfer, I don't really go on much now but I would use my RBC credit card to deposit which is not charged as a cash advance but most others are so watch out for that.

Withdrawing is easy you just link a bank account and it takes a couple business days and you got the money. The only thing is a minimum withdrawal of $5, anything less than that I just buy more tickets. Free tickets are automatically purchased for the next drawing. I also like how it emails you when you win and you can never misplace your ticket. Overall I think it's a great site. The most I won was around $85 and it was nice to just get it in my bank account easily and I was less tempted to spend all the cash.