[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3528 upvotes
Burnaby

--

--
Last edited by Guest13384726 on Jun 21st, 2021 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Incompetent workers (and criminals) cover each other's "lower back"
Keywords: doxxers, moles, security breaches, cs*s,
10 replies
Oct 22, 2006
795 posts
584 upvotes
Ontario
I don't know about the rest, but https://www.greatcanadianrebates.ca/ (your (biG Coupon website censoRed) reference ) hasn't been banned for 2 or 3 years now.

Give it 5 years or less, and everything will most likely be owned by Rakuten (probably RFD itself as well).

That's just the nature of corporations. Acquire the competition, then eliminate them.
Deal Addict
Aug 14, 2001
4541 posts
2822 upvotes
Yesva Scotia
What’s lhd?
😱
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2121 posts
816 upvotes
It makes sense that RFD wouldn't want to allow discussions about their direct competitors but I wish they would allow links to be posted from the 3camels because that info is quite useful when deciding whether to act on a deal posted here.

I understand the issue about referral links but I think that if most people here were going to make a purchase and click through a link after consulting 3camels, they would probably use RFD's link instead of the 3camels one. Just tossing that idea out there in case RFD would like to revisit it.
I am not young enough to know everything - Oscar Wilde
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3528 upvotes
Burnaby
Actually it doesn't make sense allowing discussing Redflagdeals competitors in the Redflagdeals forums. It hurts RFD's bottom line and its valuation.

Let's take for instance, Slickdeals in the U.S.:

Slickdeals does not allow linking (or discussing) competitors. It blocks them. Including triple-camel.
Read this carefully.

External links to certain sites have been blocked by the Slickdeals administration. The following might be reasons why the link has been blocked:

Link shortening & masking sites such as tinyurl.com are blocked to prevent people from hiding links. Please link directly to the site instead.
  1. Spam and/or referral sites that are posted often.
  2. Sites that self promote their own bad deals.
  3. Other deal sites.
  4. Bad sites in general.
We do not block merchants because of monetary reasons. If a merchant is blocked, it is usually after multiple bannings of different accounts shilling their own deals. Please do not come up with conspiracy theories.
^ https://slickdeals.net/blocked.html
The bottom line is that CCC is considered a competitor site, hence why links to there are blocked. We completely understand the usefulness many of our users find in that site and how prevalent its use is by our community. We also don't exactly make it a top priority to remove references to that site that are not direct links.
^ Slickdeals thread: Why do certain words get auto-replaced with urlhasbeenblocked in a post?

For people underestimating the business possibilities of a deal hunting company with a Deals Forum with a large viewership and pretty effective members:
Goldman Sachs Group Inc.'s private equity arm and Hearst Corp. have acquired online coupon and deal-sharing company Slickdeals from Warburg Pincus, according to a statement Thursday. The deal valued the Las Vegas-based company at more than $500 million, according to people familiar with the matter.
^ Bloomberg, June 14, 2018: Goldman Sachs PE Unit Buys Slickdeals From Warburg Pincus

===

Sure, Canada's population and GDP is 1/10th or less than that of the U.S. , but even under such scaling CAD12M vs USD500M does not preserve such ratio 1:10.

===

Blocking competitors is just taking care of business at an elementary level.
Last edited by Guest13384726 on Sep 22nd, 2020 11:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2121 posts
816 upvotes
OP, I misunderstood what you were saying in your first post. My mistake.

However, I stand by my suggestion regarding 3camels. But of course that's up to RFD to decide.
Last edited by CalgaryRunner on Sep 22nd, 2020 10:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 11, 2011
3741 posts
9808 upvotes
>er YEG pi-r-sq'd
b0ne wrote: What’s lhd?
I'm assuming it's the same term used by a few posters in the Hot Deals forum in their thread's title trying to gauge the hotness of the deal, comparing it to molten <blank>.
Administrator
Jun 17, 2013
15160 posts
28706 upvotes
Scarborough
CalgaryRunner wrote: It makes sense that RFD wouldn't want to allow discussions about their direct competitors but I wish they would allow links to be posted from the 3camels because that info is quite useful when deciding whether to act on a deal posted here.
CCC was banned long before I got here but the reasons stated by others are accurate. Every link on their site is connected to their affiliate program so if someone visited them from our site and clicked their local link, they'd get credited for the purchase instead. RFD partially relies on that to keep the lights on.

We try not to go overboard with the bans, which is why we allow sites such as GCR, Rakuten and Flipp to be discussed here. We understand that these sites are popular, and they're not in direct competition with RFD so we allow them because they're valued by our community members. Some other sites for instance are outright banned (and auto censored) due to them being direct competitors. Some of these sites even blatantly copy and paste our editorial content for their own use.
RFD Staff - Have a question? Send me a PM
[Forum Rules] [Deal Alerts] [Thread Hiding]
Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2121 posts
816 upvotes
Tom, thanks for the explanation. It's not that big of a deal for me to open another tab to check the price history on CCC while looking at deals on RFD, just a minor inconvenience to have to search for the item there instead of clicking a link on RFD and being redirected in a new tab. I understand where you're coming from though. AFAIK, I've never bought anything by clicking through one of CCC's links.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2010
4863 posts
3528 upvotes
Burnaby
TomRFD wrote: CCC was banned long before I got here but the reasons stated by others are accurate. Every link on their site is connected to their affiliate program so if someone visited them from our site and clicked their local link, they'd get credited for the purchase instead. RFD partially relies on that to keep the lights on.

We try not to go overboard with the bans, which is why we allow sites such as GCR, Rakuten and Flipp to be discussed here. We understand that these sites are popular, and they're not in direct competition with RFD so we allow them because they're valued by our community members. Some other sites for instance are outright banned (and auto censored) due to them being direct competitors. Some of these sites even blatantly copy and paste our editorial content for their own use.
^ This erratic and lax policy is a mistake.

Allowing discussions about Flipp and Reebee will divert viewership to those apps/sites. Allowing links to these sites and/or active images from them in RFD should be censored automatically as a minimum. RFD flyer section hardly compete with these two because it's already discarded in favor of using those apps/sites for inspecting flyers. The excerpts written by RFD staff writers are laughable: no idea what's worth highlighting, cliche and corny phrases (kind of "act now, because these offers won't last", d'uh! /smh ). That's strike one for the RFD flyers section. Strike two comes from sites posting "next week" flyers two days before RFD, which allow planning shopping. Strike three is that the less viewership the RFD flyer section gets, the less relevant/desirable it'll be as an advertising platform for advertisers. Similarly for Reebee. RFD flyer section is mildly relevant to verify items highlighted by RFD members in the Hot Deals Forum, if at all. Flipp and Reebee combined annual revenue is double RFD's ($8M + $2M; vs $5M). Now, let's see if these two companies are not RFD direct competitors (on the flyer and coupon sections).
Flipp makes money in a number of ways:

1) By providing hosted flyer services for retailer websites and charging the retailer a monthly fee for using that software on their site. So when you go to the website for your favorite grocery store and see Flipp's flyer technology on the site, the retailer is paying Flipp for that.

2) By charging retailers for digital flyer distribution through their app and on media websites (such as news sites) that offer a digital flyer section. Flipp charges retailers based on the number of views that their flyer receives, and share that revenue with the media site. Overall, this sort of distribution is cheaper for a retailer than mailing out paper flyers door-to-door.

3) Selling browsing data and analytics back to brands and retailers, which can then use that data to optimize their future advertising campaigns.
^ https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-reven ... -Flipp-app

S_ C_, L_ H_ D_ , B_ M_ , CCC, partpicker, and the like are obvious direct competitors with their own affiliate network business line. So it's obvious that links and references to them should be both auto-censored.

Other players, like cocowest/cocoeast, Honey, shopbot, stocktrack, UniDays, Rakuten, etc. although they may have their own affiliate marketing business, they are either not such a large a threat or provide services that RFD does not provide (e.g., price history, inventory checker/rebates). Some of these players are borderline competitors.

RFD should follow the leader (SD), the people at Slickdeals and Goldman Sachs know how to take care of business. Being Mr. nice guy in a competitive business environment can only end badly. ;)

Time will tell.
Images
  • reebee-bizmodel.JPG
  • reebee-top-competitors.JPG

Deal Addict
Jan 24, 2008
2121 posts
816 upvotes
Boy, did I wander into the wrong thread. I'm out of here.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)