• Last Updated:
  • Feb 20th, 2021 1:28 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Dec 7, 2011
37 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, British C…

Last edited by Nela2020 on Mar 6th, 2021 3:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
9 replies
Oct 30, 2017
379 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
Unless they grind it down and it flies all over the place, why are you worried? Chances are they will cover it up by another floor.
[OP]
Dec 7, 2011
37 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, British C…
MetalGear wrote: Unless they grind it down and it flies all over the place, why are you worried? Chances are they will cover it up by another floor.
Because its going to be open for few weeks in the kitchen and I am going to be covering it by myself. And if there is some safety standard that floor has to be tested before removal by companies I would be strongly requiring from them to test and dont have deal with that or be worried.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2275 posts
983 upvotes
Edmonton
Chances of asbestos is close to zero. There is a chance, but it is minuscule. You can pay for a test, but I don’t think it’s worth
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Oct 30, 2017
379 posts
264 upvotes
Toronto
Nela2020 wrote: Because its going to be open for few weeks in the kitchen and I am going to be covering it by myself. And if there is some safety standard that floor has to be tested before removal by companies I would be strongly requiring from them to test and dont have deal with that or be worried.
If you are that worried, get some floor paper at Home Depot/Lowes and cover up that are while you are walking on it. Keep in mind that even if there is asbestos in that glue, the chance of you getting any significant exposure is pretty much nil. It's not like you are working with this stuff on a regular basis and getting exposed to the fibers themselves.

According to this site, the adhesive with asbestos in it is generally black in color:
https://www.asbestos.com/products/adhesive/
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16032 posts
8893 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Any time renos/restorations are done on a house from the '60s and '70s there is a chance of asbestos. If you are worried, then take a piece of the flooring including the glue to an independent lab to get tested. I did in my house (built in '69) and found that the flooring had NONE but the adhesive had some. A local lab that does testing is Epoch - https://www.ealabs.ca/ealabs.html.
Dec 6, 2020
298 posts
268 upvotes
Asbestos cannot be identified visually with the unaided eye. The only way to know is to have a sample tested by a lab.
[OP]
Dec 7, 2011
37 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, British C…
craftsman wrote: Any time renos/restorations are done on a house from the '60s and '70s there is a chance of asbestos. If you are worried, then take a piece of the flooring including the glue to an independent lab to get tested. I did in my house (built in '69) and found that the flooring had NONE but the adhesive had some. A local lab that does testing is Epoch - https://www.ealabs.ca/ealabs.html.
Can I ask what type of floor it was and the color of the adhesive? I understand now that test is really required othervise noone can be sure if it is or not, but just curious what type of floor had it.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2006
1938 posts
914 upvotes
London
MetalGear wrote: Unless they grind it down and it flies all over the place, why are you worried? Chances are they will cover it up by another floor.
This.
Some people act like asbestos is radioactive.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
16032 posts
8893 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Nela2020 wrote: Can I ask what type of floor it was and the color of the adhesive? I understand now that test is really required othervise noone can be sure if it is or not, but just curious what type of floor had it.
Standard vinyl flooring that you find in kitchens from '69 and the colour of the adhesive was yellow.

Yep, just pay for a test and then you can go from there. There's no point in worrying about this and that when you can find out in a couple of days for a few bucks.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)