• Last Updated:
  • Nov 25th, 2021 8:26 am
Deal Fanatic
Aug 29, 2001
5144 posts
1123 upvotes
rural ontario
I used my QR code yesterday. They scanned it with an iPad app and I still had to show photo id and check in for contact tracing.

Basically no time saved over the old way. Blah.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20009 posts
17866 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
rilles wrote: I used my QR code yesterday. They scanned it with an iPad app and I still had to show photo id and check in for contact tracing.

You expected something different ?

They ADDED on the requirement for showing proof of vaccine & ID back in September
The QR Code being scannable certainly makes it quicker
Than it was
(Have you not been out since September 22nd ? )

The facility scans with their Reader App, and gets your name & DOB
Along with your status:

GREEN
RED
AMBER

https://windsorite.ca/wp-content/upload ... enshot.png

So the Door Keeper doesn’t have to do any extensive reading / thinking … they just have to observe your Status on the scan
Plus check Your name, against your ID
Plus add your name & contact info to the Contact Tracing List

Waaay quicker than it was

Reason it’s not further integrated … is privacy concerns
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2017
1501 posts
1533 upvotes
rilles wrote: I used my QR code yesterday. They scanned it with an iPad app and I still had to show photo id and check in for contact tracing.

I don’t think it was ever about speed. It’s to ensure someone didn’t doctor their vaccine certificate
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3395 posts
1015 upvotes
Mars
downloaded the app and scanned the QR on the pdf, but nothing appeared on my phone, i mean I thought after scan the certificate, the certificate will show up on my phone and I could save it on the phone and show it to wherever it needed, such as airport etc. only shows me "verified".

don't understand the logic of this, if I have to bring the paper (pdf) certificate with me and then scan the code, why all the hassles, I just give them the printed pdf. am i missing anything here?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3395 posts
1015 upvotes
Mars
aznnorth wrote: That's for businesses to download to scan peeps at the door say a restaurant or large venue, concert, etc. There is NO personal app for the end-user. However, no doubt you can download the business app and scan your own QR code or friends, family members, etc. But don't see the point of this. lol.
i c. sounds useless for personal use.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20009 posts
17866 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
forgetpwd wrote: i c. sounds useless for personal use.
App not designed for personal use.

You just need to download the updated Vaccine Certificate with the embedded QR Code
Save it as a file on your phone
Show it if you enter anywhere that needs to check your vaccine status
(You’ll also have to show 1 pc of ID … so they can match the name & DOB up to what’s on your Vaccine Certificate )

The App
That’s only for Businesses
It acts as the QR Code Reader
And tells them what your Vaccine Status
GREEN … admit
AMBER … deny
RED … refuse admittance

See = https://windsorite.ca/wp-content/upload ... enshot.png

And my reply # 42 above for more info
Last edited by PointsHubby on Oct 24th, 2021 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Aug 12, 2007
3888 posts
1586 upvotes
Thornhill
forgetpwd wrote: i mean I thought after scan the certificate, the certificate will show up on my phone and I could save it on the phone and show it to wherever it needed, such as airport etc. only shows me "verified".
don't understand the logic of this,
You got the logic totally wrong.
You DOWNLOAD your own QR code. Then it depends on your phone's function as to how to store it. For iPhone, you can save it to Apple Health or as a pdf file or a photo image, or use https://grassroots.vaccine-ontario.ca/ to import it to Apple Wallet (which means you can use your Apple Watch to show the QR code).

A SCANNING APP is for someone else to check and verify your QR code. Why would you need a scanning app to use on your own QR code when you have already downloaded it? Why would anyone trust you verifying your own code? Makes no sense and not sure what you expected.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6860 posts
1428 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
nosnoop wrote: A SCANNING APP is for someone else to check and verify your QR code. Why would you need a scanning app to use on your own QR code when you have already downloaded it?
Reading these posts, I thought people want to scan their own QR code to make sure it works, especially when it's on a smartphone.
Via Rail for instance have used QR codes on tickets and every once in a while, a QR code can't be read for whatever reason.
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3395 posts
1015 upvotes
Mars
PointsHubby wrote: App not designed for personal use.

You just need to download the updated Vaccine Certificate with the embedded QR Code
Save it as a file on your phone
how? I scan the QR code and got "loading..." forever on my iphone, and messy hash-code like thing on my android, scanned the QR code with "verify ontario" got the green verification. what is "updated vaccine certificate"?
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3395 posts
1015 upvotes
Mars
nosnoop wrote: You got the logic totally wrong.
You DOWNLOAD your own QR code. Then it depends on your phone's function as to how to store it. For iPhone, you can save it to Apple Health or as a pdf file or a photo image, or use https://grassroots.vaccine-ontario.ca/ to import it to Apple Wallet (which means you can use your Apple Watch to show the QR code).
how? u mean do everything on the phone. because I did it all on PC (phone is too small) and when I saw the QR code, I thought, OK, now let's scan it and the certificate will show up on my phone too. but got nothing when I scan it.

i could print out the certificate and take a pic using my phone?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
4211 posts
4602 upvotes
GTA
forgetpwd wrote: how? u mean do everything on the phone. because I did it all on PC (phone is too small) and when I saw the QR code, I thought, OK, now let's scan it and the certificate will show up on my phone too. but got nothing when I scan it.

i could print out the certificate and take a pic using my phone?
You don't scan your own QR code, that's not how you get it on your phone. You download it to your phone like you said "by doing everything on the phone". No idea what you mean by your phone is too small. The QR code doesn't take up very much storage.
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
22418 posts
4160 upvotes
Niagara Falls
tew wrote: You don't scan your own QR code, that's not how you get it on your phone. You download it to your phone like you said "by doing everything on the phone". No idea what you mean by your phone is too small. The QR code doesn't take up very much storage.
I think they mean the screen on the phone is too small to read the site well.

If that's the case, perhaps they could email the pdf to themself and then download it from their email onto their phone.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5121 posts
2700 upvotes
Toronto
forgetpwd wrote: don't understand the logic of this, if I have to bring the paper (pdf) certificate with me and then scan the code, why all the hassles, I just give them the printed pdf. am i missing anything here?
I think the paper is poorly designed. The QR code is right in the middle of where one would normally fold an 8.5x11" page. They make a point of saying not to fold it on the QR code.

Open your PDF, take a snip of only the QR code, save the snip as a JPEG.
You can then save the JPEG on your phone which will open up to the width of your screen.
No scrolling, pinching or zooming required to get it so someone can scan it to verify with the app.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20009 posts
17866 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Evil Baby wrote: I think they mean the screen on the phone is too small to read the site well.

If that's the case, perhaps they could email the pdf to themself and then download it from their email onto their phone.
This

We went to the Ontario Vaccination Website = https://covid19.ontariohealth.ca/
Downloaded our Updated Vaccine Certificate that now includes the embedded QR Code
Looks like this = https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ ... -1.6211997

Then you have the option to email it to yourself, or even send it as a Text Message attachment

That was the easiest way to get the file to our phone vs downloading it direct to the phone

After that … you can store it as a downloaded PDF File on your phone
Or as a photo … if you like

All you are looking for is a way to get the QR Code visible on your phone
So anywhere you go that needs to prove your are vaccinated
Can use the App (which is designed for business / not personal use )
To get the info on you

They’ll see your NAME, DOB
And vaccine status … as GREEN, AMBER, or RED

It’s really not complicated at all

Except for figuring out perhaps WHERE to store the PDF File on your phone
Some folks have created a Home Page Widget for just that file / document
Others are leaving it in the regular Files Folder
Some are moving it to Apple Health or Apple Books
And some are just keeping it as a photo

Whatever you do … make it handy to find
So you can find it quickly if you discover you need it at a venue to enter

NOTE - Also nothing wrong with just printing / keeping a paper version either after downloading from the Website
Lots of Seniors who don’t have Smart Phones are making that choice
As long as the QR Code is scannable … that’s all that matters
In Ontario the QR Code is not needed to shop for essentials (like the Grocery Store, Pharmacy, etc )
But is needed to go inside anywhere an access non essential services … Restaurants, Bars, Gyms, Barbers & Hair Salons, Sporting Events, Concerts, etc
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20009 posts
17866 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ROYinTO wrote: I think the paper is poorly designed. The QR code is right in the middle of where one would normally fold an 8.5x11" page. They make a point of saying not to fold it on the QR code.

Open your PDF, take a snip of only the QR code, save the snip as a JPEG.
You can then save the JPEG on your phone which will open up to the width of your screen.
No scrolling, pinching or zooming required to get it so someone can scan it to verify with the app.
Works too.

All the Bizs are looking for is the QR Code (gives them your status) … and your name & DOB

I heard places like Staples, UPS etc
Now offer a service for Seniors …
Where they’ll shrink the 8-1/2 x 11 paper version and laminate it for them
Not sure of the cost
But it seems like a convenient option if anyone doesn’t have a smart phone
Deal Fanatic
Dec 12, 2009
5121 posts
2700 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: But it seems like a convenient option if anyone doesn’t have a smart phone
I'll have to look into that.
A laminated card in your wallet would come in handy if you don't have your phone or it runs out of battery power.
Plan B
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20009 posts
17866 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
ROYinTO wrote: I'll have to look into that.
A laminated card in your wallet would come in handy if you don't have your phone or it runs out of battery power.
Plan B
Ya we are thinking we’ll keep a spare paper version in our car … incase our phone batteries die

That and SO & I have loaded each other’s onto BOTH our phones

Figure we are covered for all emergencies now
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2005
3395 posts
1015 upvotes
Mars
tew wrote: You don't scan your own QR code, that's not how you get it on your phone. You download it to your phone like you said "by doing everything on the phone". No idea what you mean by your phone is too small. The QR code doesn't take up very much storage.
sorry, didn't make it clear, my bad. i mean the screen is too small for my liking. i like use big screen monitor. i will try to do it on my phone, of course in that case I could save it to my phone, like screenshot or pdf.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20009 posts
17866 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
forgetpwd wrote: sorry, didn't make it clear, my bad. i mean the screen is too small for my liking. i like use big screen monitor. i will try to do it on my phone, of course in that case I could save it to my phone, like screenshot or pdf.
That … or read my Reply # 54 above

It responds to the post by @Evil Baby … but the info was truly meant for you
Dec 12, 2004
991 posts
375 upvotes
For the nerdy ones...
I wrote a small python script that can decode most provinces QRs code if you are interested to know what's stored inside... not much besides your name, DOB, and when/where you had your vax
https://github.com/JeeZues/ON_QR_Extractor