Mar 28, 2005
6890 posts
1435 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
PointsHubby wrote: I heard places like Staples, UPS etc
Now offer a service for Seniors …
Where they’ll shrink the 8-1/2 x 11 paper version and laminate it for them
Hmmm....
I just downloaded the enhanced certificate with the QR code to my computer.

One of the requirements on the website is that the QR code be no smaller than 60 x 60mm.

When I print the certificate on a standard letter size piece of paper, the QR code is just 60x60mm
So far so good.
But I wanted to reduce the size so it's the same saize as the passport and then place it in the back of the passport with a paper clip so it's always there for travel.
The QR code is then only about 30x30mm - anyone know if that will still work?

My smartphone screen (Samsung S4 mini) is also not 60mm wide so I have to reduce the QR code to less than 60mm there.

General question - In practice, how small can the QR code be and still be readable?
Deal Addict
Jun 13, 2010
4236 posts
4636 upvotes
GTA
krs wrote: Hmmm....
I just downloaded the enhanced certificate with the QR code to my computer.

One of the requirements on the website is that the QR code be no smaller than 60 x 60mm.

When I print the certificate on a standard letter size piece of paper, the QR code is just 60x60mm
So far so good.
But I wanted to reduce the size so it's the same saize as the passport and then place it in the back of the passport with a paper clip so it's always there for travel.
The QR code is then only about 30x30mm - anyone know if that will still work?

My smartphone screen (Samsung S4 mini) is also not 60mm wide so I have to reduce the QR code to less than 60mm there.

General question - In practice, how small can the QR code be and still be readable?
I thought that this QR code is only good in Ontario (or maybe Canada) and not for anywhere that you need a passport.
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
4249 posts
1599 upvotes
Durham Region
tew wrote: I thought that this QR code is only good in Ontario (or maybe Canada) and not for anywhere that you need a passport.
It can be scanned with any reader that supports the SMART Health Card standard and either doesn't require the codes to be signed by a specific issuer or recognizes ON as a valid issuer.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
6890 posts
1435 upvotes
Cornwall, Ontario
tew wrote: I thought that this QR code is only good in Ontario (or maybe Canada) and not for anywhere that you need a passport.
I just mentioned "passport" size to indicate the amount of reduction of the Covid-19 doc that made sense to me and that what I think the Staples laminated reduction might be.
And I'm talking about the whole enhanced certificate including thereadable text, not just the QR code.

Are people only saving the QR code itself on their cellphone?
What happens if it's not readable?
This QR code carries a lot more information than other typical QR codes I have seen like the one for a Via Train ticket for example, and even that is not always readable on a cellphone.
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2014
2214 posts
3494 upvotes
Atlantic
Not sure what's up but earlier this month, I finally got a copy of the enhanced vaccine certificate from my province (Atlantic Province). At this point, my province has not released its own version of QR code reader app.

I downloaded Verify Ontario and also Alberta's version (COVID Records Verifier) and was unable to scan my QR code. Just came up as an error.....

I tried both apps on a family member's QR code (from Ontario) and both were able to verify as Green......

Not sure what's wrong with my enhanced vaccine certificate.

Edit: Just tried with BC's verifier app and it works no issue.