• Sep 3rd, 2006 9:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
TigerMM wrote:If that were true they'd be princos or those AN and fake TY crap, I've used memorex for five years , never had a bad disk and no disk has ever gone bad(hundreds at least), I assume you've seen quality control issues with batches but I've never seen it, are they the only name brand disks to have questionable batches? I believe they do in fact require some quality control from their suppliers, not the best I'm sure but up to brand standard.

I'm actually surprised you said that with the extensive testing you do and knowlege you've accumulated. there are so many truly shat disks that get sold these days just look at those no-name discounted 100 cake boxes fs and best buy sells, you literally can't burn the disks. Do you believe these memorex are comparable to that?
Ok, I'll go into a little more detail:

Memorex is not 100% stupid. They are the optical media brand with the highest market share for a reason (and they are still in business). Memorex has CONTRACTS with their suppliers, just like any other brand. There are certain requirements that need to be met in order to get the deal with Memorex. A lot of companies are afraid of contractual based penalties for poor performance. So the companies that get the contracts with Memorex are companies like Prodisc, Optodisc, CMC, Ritek, Infodisc, and others, who offer bottom barrel prices, and make all the right promises.

So as long as you make all the promises, and Memorex doesn't get enough complaints to proove that their contracted supplier is messing up, then the supplier doesn't get in trouble. This is pretty standard actually... only most other companies have more quality requirements and internal testing to make sure the promises are ACTUALLY kept and not just empty words.

a great example would be Memorex's DVD+RDL supplied by Ritek:
http://www.videohelp.com/dvdmedia.php?s ... 9#comments
Many many MANY people buy it. Lot's of people write about them to complain about the performance... but how many people ACTUALLY return the product? I honestly don't know that many people who really took them back to the store.

So based on this, we keep getting Memorex with crappy Ritek DVD+RDL media, because why would Memorex change if they get only a few complaints here and there, and yet are selling millions of discs?

Honestly, you'd be surprised if you knew some of the crappy discs sold through Memorex sometimes!

Oh, and so you know, Princo is NOT that cheap anyways ;)
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1015 posts
47 upvotes
My invoice shows 14.98, how are you getting 15.49
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2001
4486 posts
58 upvotes
Calgary
Thanks, sucessfully PM'ed at Chinook FS for $15.49

Lots of DVD-R's on the shelf this morning, only a couple of DVD+R's. I grabbed one of the +R.
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11759 posts
4058 upvotes
Toronto
Got it at 15.49+tx = 17.65$ in Point-claire, Quebec

Only 2 spindle of -R left when I took mine (I only bought one spindle), but a lot of +R.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
drunkgoat wrote:PM POSSIBLY DEAD.

Just got back from a Future Shop in the GTA and they had already updated their memorex printable DVD+R price to match bestbuy's $19.98.
actually, just FYI, that usually only applies to specific locations.

and ^that happens only if the other sister company store chooses to lower their price... usually they don't ;)

----------
spudz2000 wrote:I just picked up a pack of each of the dvd-r and dvd+r at my local FS and PM'd with BB and it was $15.50 each.

Both mine are MIT with Disc ID's below..

DVD+R - Disc ID: CMC MAG-M01-00

DVD-R - Manufacturer ID: CMC MAG. AM3

Hope that helps..
thx4posting both MIDs :)
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Jul 3, 2006
321 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
maybe out of topic but I would like to know how to pm at futureshop for this...do I need to print the webpage of the bestbuy page to show them the price when I go to futureshop or I just need to tell them when I'm at FS....
Nov 13, 2003
765 posts
21 upvotes
Montreal
NsK450 wrote:maybe out of topic but I would like to know how to pm at futureshop for this...do I need to print the webpage of the bestbuy page to show them the price when I go to futureshop or I just need to tell them when I'm at FS....
That's what I normally do unless I actually happen to have the Best Buy flyer itself.
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1015 posts
47 upvotes
NsK450 wrote:maybe out of topic but I would like to know how to pm at futureshop for this...do I need to print the webpage of the bestbuy page to show them the price when I go to futureshop or I just need to tell them when I'm at FS....
Nope, most FS have a little web terminal, that allows you to shop on-line or go to a competitor web page... just go to bestbuy.ca and point out that they have it on sale for 19.99.
Jul 3, 2006
321 posts
12 upvotes
Montreal
so I don't need to print anything....just go there and tell them to go on bestbuy.ca and check the prices right...........
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1015 posts
47 upvotes
NsK450 wrote:so I don't need to print anything....just go there and tell them to go on bestbuy.ca and check the prices right...........
Yep, that how I did it.
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
it's usually better to have the flyer at hand, but even if u tell'em about the sale (word-of-mouth), regardless they'll still call to check for stock and/or price.
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2004
1015 posts
47 upvotes
mahjongmaniac wrote:it's usually better to have the flyer at hand, but even if u tell'em about the sale (word-of-mouth), regardless they'll still call to check for stock and/or price.
Usually, it's easier to PM with Bestbuy than any other store because they're the same company... and there's many Bestbuys out there so someone's bound to have it in stock.
Mar 21, 2005
411 posts
299 upvotes
GTA
dealmeister wrote:just got the BB flyer in my weekly paper- BB will be having memorex 100disc printable dvd+/-R's on sale starting friday for $19.99 = $15.49 @ FS after 110% PM. BB also will have a labtec wireless keyboard mouse combo for $10 AR.
Nice. Just PM with Futurshop. Thank you for the post :)
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
g_goo_goo wrote:Usually, it's easier to PM with Bestbuy than any other store because they're the same company... and there's many Bestbuys out there so someone's bound to have it in stock.
yes.. so many BB's out there, but AFAIK, i've never heard of one store PM their sister store that's OOP(rov.) b/c of all local stores are OOS....
MJM

Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
11759 posts
4058 upvotes
Toronto
g_goo_goo wrote:Yep, that how I did it.
Easier if you bring the BB flyer....easier for him and faster for you ;)
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2003
2500 posts
338 upvotes
They didn't have any at the FutureShop at Lansdowne Mall. They had these other Memorex 16x DVD-R 100-pc spindles, but they said there weren't the same one. The rep did check her computer for the same part number, and said it listed 1 available... but probably was an error.

Oh well... wasted like 15 minutes standing in line. Ended up just getting the Imation ones.
Aug 10, 2004
306 posts
8 upvotes
West Vancouver
there were lots in Bridgeport Road .... I saw like at least 10 DVD+R printable ones

did you ask the sales if they have anymore at the back? I think they should have plenty DVD+R , at least on their website, it says still have stocks
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2862 posts
584 upvotes
Ajax
The clerk after I got them at Futureshop Ajax ....I think was going to hide all the stock....Staples???????????
Dec 21, 2005
308 posts
6 upvotes
Burnaby, Metrotown FS - refused to PM because they're the same company, so no competition D;

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)