• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2006 9:42 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2619 posts
1206 upvotes
cheebster wrote:Hi there. Thanks for the thread, RFD rocks ! and thanks DD for the tips. I was on a laptop at the local futureshop when i posted the question about which spindles to get, hehe I bought 10 spindles of Imation +R 16X as DD suggested, and will get a 111D tuesday.

Anyone got a clue if those can be burnt at 16X with original firmware on the 111D, or with some 3rd party firmware ? Thanks in advance, cheebster.
with the latest firmware 8.26 the 111L (labelflash version of the 111d) will only burn the Imation DVD+Rs at 12x, but it'll do the Imation DVD-Rs at 16x.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
protectivedad wrote:Well, what the manufacturer, middleman, and seller lose on the price, they make up for in quantity :) .
Umm... I don't quite understand your logic on that.

If you lose $3 per 100pc spindle, then you lose $3 x 100,000 on 10 million discs.
Current DVD Burner Suggestion? Stick with Pioneer
Current suggested recordable media?
CD-Rs = Maxell CD-R Pro, Verbatim Datalife+, Falcon Media Pro
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
cheebster wrote:Hi there. Thanks for the thread, RFD rocks ! and thanks DD for the tips. I was on a laptop at the local futureshop when i posted the question about which spindles to get, hehe I bought 10 spindles of Imation +R 16X as DD suggested, and will get a 111D tuesday.

Anyone got a clue if those can be burnt at 16X with original firmware on the 111D, or with some 3rd party firmware ? Thanks in advance, cheebster.
The DVR-111D running firmware 1.29 can supposedly burn the Imation DVD+Rs at 16x now. Former firmwares only allowed 12x writing.
DVD
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
drunkgoat wrote:How much better can the DVD+R be?

The 111L I have rates the DVD-R at 16x but the DVD+R at 12x, so you would this the DVD-R would be better quality.
It burns Princo 16x DVD-Rs at 16x too... does that mean they're good quality?

Pioneer has a serious bias towards DVD-R media, and will push it harder then DVD+R always. But as far as burn quality, the DVD+Rs have done MUCH better for me then the DVD-Rs. I'll try to get some scans posted on CDRLabs.com soon.

Edit: I posted some results for your on CDRlabs of my Acro Circle brand Optodisc media burned in the Pioneer DVR-111D:
http://www.cdrlabs.com/phpBB/viewtopic. ... 460#159460

As you can, the DVD+Rs are *MUCH* better!!
DVD
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2003
2619 posts
1206 upvotes
Thanks for the scans, although they are not quite apples to apples, i.e. DVD-R was burnt at 16x while the dvd+r was at 12x.

Guess I'll have to wait until buffalo releases their 8.29 firmware to get 16x DVD+Rs.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 30, 2003
5010 posts
2 upvotes
Vancouver B.C.
drunkgoat wrote:Thanks for the scans, although they are not quite apples to apples, i.e. DVD-R was burnt at 16x while the dvd+r was at 12x.

Guess I'll have to wait until buffalo releases their 8.29 firmware to get 16x DVD+Rs.
At the time I was burning them both at the maximum speed allowed on the burner. I have another scan now at 16x I'll be adding soon.

Edit:

Added now, at the same link.
DVD
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
dammit i went to FS trying to PM this but apparently, i was 1 day too late as they were already OOS....

so it seems like quite a few RFDers (or just a few that cleaned the shelves) had went there earlier on Fri. to PM....

------------------
jamewoong wrote:Be careful! Some store will ask your to show them the flyer or website printed...

Remember the last time I PM'ed the Maxell CD-R at st00pleS, they didn't want to believe me nor checking the website...

So, if you want 100% of suceed, better have a backup (the flyer, website in hand)
sometimes, even doing ^that is useless....

if the price diff. is too huge (or competitor price too low), they'll still physically go check it online or phone to confirm price/stock....
usually b/c the disbelievers think u might've photoshopped it....

-------------------
ricedion wrote:was at the Eglinton/Laird futureshop location, the cashier initially called BB to check stock, the staff from BB said they are busy and refused to check, the cashier was pissed, then I told her that there were stock from BB website when I checked. she didn't say anything, and pulled out her cell phone to calculate the PM price, and put 13.50 as the new price.
lucky b****! ;)

seriously, it's been a while since i've heard of an RFDer PM that easily / hassle-free.....
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

PEPSI IPOD WINNER on xmas.... what a SWEET christmas present!
Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
gostinger wrote:The clerk after I got them at Futureshop Ajax ....I think was going to hide all the stock....Staples???????????
yep... sounds like FS just pulled a stOOpleS on ya :lol:

----------
steve.m wrote:yep downtown T.O. futureshop hiding stock!!
"We don't have any in the back" then FS clerk coughs suspiciously. :mad:
website says they have stock.
just a tip for ya - to check for REAL instore inventory, just go to another CSR and ask them to check for inventory via their computer (know the webID/SKU ahead of time)

their compy won't lie to you...
if the stock is 1 or 0, it's OOS or phantom stock or could be misplaced by sb else....
if it's 3+, it means the other FS clerk that said "we're OOS, and none in the back" was lieing in your face! - in that case, i'd give FS HO a call and see what they'd have to say about that ;)

---------------
Azenha wrote:I'd STRONGLY suggest avoiding the downtown Toronto FS store (Yonge @ Elm). I've never had a simple PM with them. I always end up having to wait around from 15 to 30 minutes discussing, arguing, etc. with the sales agent, and eventually the manger.

The last PM I had at this location was for a Logitech Harmony 880 remote with [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=167]Dell[/rfdlink]. FS had a $50 rebate and they tried everything from first refusing to PM, arguming that it was a loss for them, then adding the rebate to the PM, claiming it was a different product, then claiming that [rfdlink=/forums/autolink/redirectpage.php?linkid=168]Dell's[/rfdlink] return policy was different, etc, etc. I ended up called Head Office on my cell who confirmed that the PM should go through. Only then did they complete the PM. And, they did not even want to talk to Head Office when I tried to hand the cell over to them - they just took my word that I was talking to Head Office. Obviously they knew very well that it was a legitimate PM, but did not want to process it.
^ like u said, instead of wasting ur time arguing w/ them, i'd threaten to call HO to inquire about their "sudden change of policy".... that should set'em straight....
MJM
- MJ = mahjong - a chinese game involving LOTS of strategy/skills and the smarts to win!
- M = maniac - just simply CRAZY about this game... i'd play it 24/7 if i had the time!

"I'll be here... I'll be 'waiting'... here... I'll be waiting... for you... so if you come here... you'll find me... I promise..." - FF VIII - FAN of the FF series ever since the beginning.

Deal Expert
Nov 11, 2004
62810 posts
364 upvotes
IamTazak-47 wrote:I just got back from my local futureshop and boy do they ever try to weasel out of the pm, first it was "are you sure it isnt limited to 1 spindle" I said no not that i knew about , so they looked up the price on best buys site, then he had to go get his supervisor, which took over 15 minutes, think they were hoping id just give up and leave, then it was we dont have to give you the memorex for that price because they are regularly priced $64.99, we will give you the imation 100 packs because they are comparable and on for $19.99 also, should have seen his face fall when i told him no they are not comparable, one is printable media the other isnt, so then it was another future shop employee huddle for 10 minutes while they tried to find another way to weasel out of it, finally they came back and said okay but you can only buy three spindles, i was trying so hard not to laugh, it was like the keystone cops live, anyway i said fine 3 will do I will just go to bestbuy and buy more, lol , hope everyone else has as much fun playing the pm game with futureshop.
lol i'm surprised they didn't limit the PM to "1 per customer"... ha

----------
MP3_SKY wrote:Easier if you bring the BB flyer....easier for him and faster for you ;)
even more easier if u called in advance to know exactly which competitor location(s) have stock...
that way, they can't say "sorry we can't PM b/c competitor is OOS"... :)
MJM