• Oct 4th, 2019 7:07 pm
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8767 posts
3116 upvotes
Toronto
Esg876 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 1:48 pm
I've heard calorie etc wise, its the same or even a bit worse for you then normal meat. But its much better for the environment, and some of the only options veggies have
if one were truly a strict "veggie" this would be off limits to them as it's cooked on the same grill as the meat patties...bathing lovingly in the sweet meat juices.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Mar 11, 2019
261 posts
147 upvotes
To be fair nobody is going to fast food places for health reasons. I didn't not like it but it had an odd taste that stayed for a while after that I didn't enjoy. I found there was so much other stuff that I couldn't really taste the fake meat part. Definitely does not taste like beef.
Dec 26, 2010
366 posts
81 upvotes
SW Ontario
lleb13 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 1:54 pm
I've done numerous tests and beyond meat always came on top.

BM vs frozen patty
BM vs fresh homemade patty
BM vs other plant base burgers

My wife and I always found the beyond meat burger came out on top! It's pretty insane considering I would never make or buy a vege burger in past, never ever.

Now we've basically replaced our burger meals with beyond meat (1-2 times a month in the summer).

No regrets (it just tastes better) but it is roughly 2x more expensive than making your own beef patties.
Any suggestions on where to buy BM patties at a reasonable price? Last time at Sobeys it was 8 for 2 patties
Nov 20, 2017
323 posts
454 upvotes
Damed wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 1:59 pm
Beyond meat is a super processed food item. Typically the more processed a food item is, the likelier it is bad for health.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/be ... lant-based

https://globalnews.ca/news/5438397/plan ... od-health/

Not saying it's a bad product, but the spin that it's healthier than the traditional alternative is not really true, and it's long term health impacts are still unknown.
It's super processed because they're trying to make plants taste like meat. If so many people (myself included) weren't a bunch of whiny babies and could stomach a different flavour for health/planet reasons, it wouldn't have to be so processed.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8767 posts
3116 upvotes
Toronto
jintau wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 2:03 pm
To be fair nobody is going to fast food places for health reasons. I didn't not like it but it had an odd taste that stayed for a while after that I didn't enjoy. I found there was so much other stuff that I couldn't really taste the fake meat part. Definitely does not taste like beef.
to be fair, some people are easily fooled into many things....including believing this is a much "healthier" choice.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Dec 25, 2012
648 posts
336 upvotes
Kingston
JohnS76618 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 1:43 pm
Is it healthy
I’m not taking my chances with this Frankenburger fake ass shit. I tried one when they launched. It was decent going in, not so much the next day coming out. Fake wannabe meat (that even bleeds), created by scientists in labs. No thanks! I’ll stay with my 100% grass fed beef burgers that are made with one ingredient, not a ton of oils and other garbage I don’t even know what it is. If you wanna be a vegan, that’s cool. Do your thing. But what’s with this obsession with wanting to have fake shit that tastes like meat. You don’t see us meat eaters going around trying to create fake vegetables do ya?
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8767 posts
3116 upvotes
Toronto
nuxper wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 2:44 pm
I’m not taking my chances with this Frankenburger fake ass shit. I tried one when they launched. It was decent going in, not so much the next day coming out. Fake wannabe meat (that even bleeds), created by scientists in labs. No thanks! I’ll stay with my 100% grass fed beef burgers that are made with one ingredient, not a ton of oils and other garbage I don’t even know what it is. If you wanna be a vegan, that’s cool. Do your thing. But what’s with this obsession with wanting to have fake shit that tastes like meat. You don’t see us meat eaters going around trying to create fake vegetables do ya?
Why Arby's is testing meat products that look like big carrots
Smiling Face With Open Mouth
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3810 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
nuxper wrote:
:facepalm:
Mar 25, 2012
38 posts
61 upvotes
NB
Nice deal. My partner is vegetarian but we still like to have burgers sometimes. P:

It'd be nice to see one of these posts where people actually talk about the deal and don't turn into armchair doctors. It's fast food. It's bad for ya. It's yummy. Done.
Nov 13, 2014
52 posts
111 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
It's funny how the narrative went from health conscious eating to a huge marketing exploit.

Popular opinion in the early 2000's and 90's "Meat is unhealthy for you".

--> Leads to veggie burgers that taste like feet

--> Veganism becomes popular , as well as being vegetarian

--> Leads to the next wave of "fake meat" burgers, chicken, etc.

But the underlying theme of "is it healthy?" is completely and utterly ignored.

Eating a A&W sandwhich , in my opinion, is unhealthy. Whether it has meat or doesn't.

Stay woke folks.
Jul 6, 2008
411 posts
60 upvotes
Montreal
JohnS76618 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 1:43 pm
Is it healthy
It's not due to all the extras they added, notably very high amount of sodium. In other words, it's still fast food, but at least it's possibly more environmentally friendly
Dec 26, 2017
87 posts
281 upvotes
I didn't realize anyone was considering eating a BM burger as a healthy option...

I prefer it to beef, it is more substantial than a single patty and just tastes better to me. I also think it's a great option to reduce the GHG emissions tied to the meat industry. It's also many levels above in being a more humane option.

I still enjoy my meat, but there are many reasons beyond health to consider alternatives once in awhile.

Thanks for the post, OP!
Deal Addict
Nov 21, 2017
1493 posts
1407 upvotes
What's with the hostility towards this? It's just an option on the menu. No one is forcing you to buy this and the common knowledge that these are about as healthy as regular burgers is already months old. No need to invent imaginary strawmen and luddite arguments. Let the market decide the viability of this product. For myself , I will try this and decide if it's a good option. My favorite veggie burger was always from Licks restaurant.
Jul 28, 2007
435 posts
678 upvotes
Calgary
nuxper wrote:
This is pretty closed-minded. I love eating meat but I appreciate that the founders of Beyond are trying to make the world a better place, by reducing methane emissions and also reducing the suffering of animals.

If it's not your thing, no one is forcing you to buy it or eat it. But I guess some people always have to complain.