• Oct 4th, 2019 7:07 pm
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3810 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
Dunderhead wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 3:22 pm
This is pretty closed-minded. I love eating meat but I appreciate that the founders of Beyond are trying to make the world a better place, by reducing methane emissions and also reducing the suffering of animals.

If it's not your thing, no one is forcing you to buy it or eat it. But I guess some people always have to complain.
its all about being self-aware, which is completely lost today.

the same people who comment whenever they come across vegetarian/vegan topics (you know, the typical meat eater dude who just HAS to say something half-witted like "keep it up vegans! just leaves more meat for me!!" while scanning intensely at a photo of a vegan protest to try and point out anyone wearing a leather belt) have absolutely NO idea they just look really silly to normal, sane people.

no one is getting an a&w burger to be healthy. but people having the choice to eat a meat alternative is a nice thing.

the REAL argument is whether any of these meat alternatives are actually better for the environment or not. anything mass harvested like coconut and almond have all shown to be terrible for the environment.
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2012
1982 posts
1020 upvotes
Toronto
Ireojimayo wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 1:38 pm
Yes I've used it, theyll scan the barcode and it will show up for them
Sushi4life wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 1:44 pm
Yes but YMMV, I tried to use it for 2 times and only 1 of them accepted to scan it
Thanks!
Can we show it on our phone or do we need to print it?
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2012
1201 posts
491 upvotes
Burnaby
Damed wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 1:59 pm
Beyond meat is a super processed food item. Typically the more processed a food item is, the likelier it is bad for health.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/be ... lant-based

https://globalnews.ca/news/5438397/plan ... od-health/

Not saying it's a bad product, but the spin that it's healthier than the traditional alternative is not really true, and it's long term health impacts are still unknown.
Late to the party and was reading through and so happy someone mentioned this... It’s literally straight chemicals and concocted in a lab... how could it possibly be good? Processed to the extreme just like any other veggie sausage or patty found in the store. The list of “ingredients” takes a PHD and a few mins to read lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6969 posts
2797 upvotes
Toronto
These are tasty, just don't count on being full after 1. If you're hungry you'll want a second.

Btw Tim Hortons version was awful compared to this, but that's expected.
Last edited by Angultra on Sep 8th, 2019 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Feb 18, 2019
52 posts
45 upvotes
I tried one of these at A&W about a month ago... It was OK, but I found it INCREDIBLY salty. Did I get a bad one or are they always like this?
Mar 11, 2019
258 posts
147 upvotes
Angultra wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 3:44 pm
These are tasty, just don't count on being full after 1. If you're hungry you'll want a second.
can you order these with 3 patties?
Aug 15, 2018
215 posts
283 upvotes
Vancouver
People are hating on Tims, but personally I thought it tasted way better.
Deal Addict
Jun 25, 2009
1495 posts
536 upvotes
nuxper wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 2:53 pm
This is amazing! Unfortunately it’ll never make it into stores. This looks just as ridiculous as this whole fake meat does to me. The vegan people would lose their shit if this actually happens.
They are catering mostly to non vegans, and besides real vegans make up maybe 2% of the population.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
24601 posts
10058 upvotes
lleb13 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 1:54 pm
BM vs frozen patty
This is what I'd equate it to taste wise.
Think of the cheapest filler burgers you can imagine and to me that's what it reminds me of.
The difference is that there's 0% meat instead of 51% meat which makes it interesting.
BM vs fresh homemade patty
Really? BM wins vs a fresh patty?
Now I have questions.
BM vs other plant base burgers

No comment because I haven't tried any others.
prodacc wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 2:21 pm
It's super processed because they're trying to make plants taste like meat. If so many people (myself included) weren't a bunch of whiny babies and could stomach a different flavour for health/planet reasons, it wouldn't have to be so processed.
I don't get this concept in vegetarian/vegan in general.
Embrace the vegetables you're cooking instead of screwing with it to make it remind you of what you're missing by becoming vegetarian/vegan.
So far (including this) there isn't a substitute that comes close to replacing the real thing.
Jul 24, 2015
212 posts
138 upvotes
Are people here too young to remember margarine?

If you're eating this as your main staple because of "the environment", don't. You'll just be a drain on our healthcare system in the next 10 years.
Deal Addict
Jun 1, 2008
1842 posts
405 upvotes
Toronto
DonkeyDoo wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 3:46 pm
I tried one of these at A&W about a month ago... It was OK, but I found it INCREDIBLY salty. Did I get a bad one or are they always like this?
I had it and a mama burger, just to compare. Both were very good. I didn’t find it overly salty.
Deal Addict
Jul 10, 2004
1374 posts
1879 upvotes
I'm a fan. It tastes good and is better for the environment.
Embrace the vegetables you're cooking instead of screwing with it to make it remind you of what you're missing by becoming vegetarian/vegan.
So far (including this) there isn't a substitute that comes close to replacing the real thing.
The main reason they're "screwing with it" is because the planet can't sustain the meaty appetite of the world's population.
Last edited by coolwasabi on Sep 8th, 2019 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2002
6969 posts
2797 upvotes
Toronto
Nexus1172 wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 3:50 pm
People are hating on Tims, but personally I thought it tasted way better.
The one time I had it they put way too much mustard and didn't toast the bun, ymmv though. A&W is a burger place so more consistent.
Deal Addict
May 1, 2006
3810 posts
316 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 4:02 pm
This is what I'd equate it to taste wise.
Think of the cheapest filler burgers you can imagine and to me that's what it reminds me of.
The difference is that there's 0% meat instead of 51% meat which makes it interesting.

No comment because I haven't tried any others.

no one cares whether you 'get it' or not. this isn't just for vegetarians/vegans. its for anyone who wants a fast food burger but maybe doesnt want to have meat all of the time.
death_hawk wrote:
Sep 8th, 2019 4:02 pm
you literally just said you haven't tried any other plant based burgers at all. chiming in just to assert a baseless opinion for no reason is weird and sad.
Apr 19, 2014
215 posts
106 upvotes
Mascouche, QC
I had no idea people ate any kind of fast food as a healthy meal. I thought this was just a vegetarian option for people who want a garbage meal once in awhile that doesn't impact the planet as negatively.