• May 19th, 2021 10:19 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1513 posts
1746 upvotes
Edmonton, AB

[A & W] Coffee Card Launch

Not necessarily a hot deal, but I wanted you guys to be aware that A&W launched a new coffee Card - similar to McDs except a free coffee every 3 purchases.

You might have to ask the cashier as they might not offer it but I figured you guys should know as some locations may not offer it without asking.

I've attached pictures of it.

Personally I feel as if McDs changed their blend as it's worse after Covid, so A&W is much better to me now. I tried a bunch of locations and they are all more acidic. I just use 3 creams instead of 2 as it's darker for A&W.

Feedback always welcome instead of downvoting and moving along. I realize it's not necessarily a hot deal, but easiest way for members to see this post.
Images
  • 16213656050382815218909894210011.jpg
  • 16213656265324112403938500551762.jpg
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
20 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2006
1632 posts
593 upvotes
Toronto
it's a hit or miss to me for every coffee I get....not sure if I'd go for it, I'd rather choose McDonalds, currently running $1 for any size using the app
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1513 posts
1746 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
DealsHunterCo wrote: it's a hit or miss to me for every coffee I get....not sure if I'd go for it, I'd rather choose McDonalds, currently running $1 for any size using the app
Your right. It's good for me like 90% of the time, but there have been cases where it tastes like poison. McDs is generally good too
The Biggest of the Big has arrived!
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2007
2568 posts
1340 upvotes
Edmonton
Only a paper card? Need it on the app like McD's!
Nov 13, 2017
80 posts
91 upvotes
I wonder if this is a the result of their Sipscription experiment in March. If so that's disappointing.

Still a decent deal if you get A&W coffee daily/frequently.
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2008
3108 posts
2004 upvotes
Montreal
BNTLLife wrote: I wonder if this is a the result of their Sipscription experiment in March. If so that's disappointing.

Still a decent deal if you get A&W coffee daily/frequently.
Same, I would love the actual sipscription, obviously depending on the price but I would love to take advantage of that.
Deal Addict
Jul 27, 2004
2352 posts
142 upvotes
McDonald's is effectively buy 7 get 2 (mobile McCafe rewards + physical card/stickers)
May 20, 2019
154 posts
203 upvotes
Toronto
I only ever liked A&W once when they switched their roast to a new one last year. All other times I've had it, it's either burnt or funny tasting. Atleast mcds is consistent with their coffee flavored water.... :P
...what is life if not Jr. Chicken with free tomatoes...
Deal Addict
Apr 30, 2004
3354 posts
1077 upvotes
Toronto
Tried their coffee few times but I didn't like the taste at all...

Upvoted and for others to enjoy!
My Heatware Feedback: Click!
Jul 11, 2009
286 posts
82 upvotes
express.items wrote: McDonald's is effectively buy 7 get 2 (mobile McCafe rewards + physical card/stickers)
Isn't it even better at buy 5 get 2? I'm pretty sure they give a virtual stamp and the coffee cup sticker on the free one?
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2424 posts
1091 upvotes
Hometown
express.items wrote: McDonald's is effectively buy 7 get 2 (mobile McCafe rewards + physical card/stickers)
I find our A&W location's staff must all drink tea since the concept of proper coffee making and handling is often beyond them. It is a regular occurrence to see them fill a large cup from 3 to 5 urns. I explain to them why that is not how A&W is going to become a coffee powerhouse. I even have offered to call head office for them to send out someone to educate them on the finer aspects... They just smile nod a lot and say no they are fine coffee is fine they sell lots. LOL.

To be fair it was like that at McCafe here when they first were gearing up. Now here at both locations they have coffee down for the most part. So with better consistency there and the advantage that at McCafe for a nominal fee you can upgrade to an extra large with the card at both locations. Ironically one location here will do it with the app reward as well, but the other store can't get it to work.

Since some staff do shifts at both they KNOW it can be done but the system at the one store won't allow it... Sometimes if a manager is close by and they recognize my voice they will just have the manager comp my order of the two coffees for the inconvenience. Which is another reason to keep going there.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2016
8563 posts
9291 upvotes
The Prairies
After receiving 2 full months of free daily coffee, I grew to like the taste of A&W coffee.
I still prefer McDonalds coffee over anything, but A&W is definitely a close second, and miles better than that crap Tim Hortons sells.
I probably won’t bother with the coffee card, as I’m in the Rotten Ronnie’s ecosystem, but an upvote for the heads up.
Last edited by coolintheshade on May 18th, 2021 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2004
6584 posts
3140 upvotes
I tried A&W coffee once during the free month of coffee promo.
It was so horrible I didn't go back for any more during my "free month"
No thanks.
Feb 14, 2006
863 posts
1004 upvotes
Hammonds Plains
plymouthhater wrote: I tried A&W coffee once during the free month of coffee promo.
It was so horrible I didn't go back for any more during my "free month"
No thanks.
Ha.

I decided to keep brewing @ home. To save money.

Ha. Ha. Jokes on me.

$250 grinder...

$100 gooseneck kettle for chemex...

$105/2.1kg from pilots, so like $1/cup for just the unground coffee. Plus filter, boiled water, sugar, cream, cup... saving money for sure.

Turns out i'm a snob now. I can't even drink chain coffees anymore. Tried a free mcd last time they were free (1yr? Ago) took 2 sips and was done with it.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 16, 2016
1513 posts
1746 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
chipspew wrote: Isn't it even better at buy 5 get 2? I'm pretty sure they give a virtual stamp and the coffee cup sticker on the free one?
TomRFD wrote: If the paper card is successful, hopefully they'll add it into their app. Ever since McDonald's did that I'm getting way more freebies.
I imagine if this takes off they would implement the app version. Tvag would cost a lot to develop and they probably use this to test to see if this program is worth while.
Feb 2, 2017
150 posts
32 upvotes
find A&W not bad at all. Just gotta find one with drivethur!
Dec 25, 2012
636 posts
817 upvotes
Ontario
What happened to the coffee subscription that a&w was experimenting with. If there was a monthly subscription at a chain like McDonalds or A&W for unlimited coffees I'd totally buy it
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5518 posts
4590 upvotes
it's better than nothing, but i've had good coffee from them once, bad to meh coffee every other times, all at A&W independent locations (not in a petrocanada drive thru where they serve neighbors coffee?)

but if you have a decent A&W nearby for coffee, it's better than Tim's or McD's, just from my experience, there's way more bad coffee than good ones of the locations i've been. I think they don't sell nearly as many coffees as mcd's or SB etc..and if not during prime time (eg breakfast?), their coffee may sit longer?