Expired Hot Deals

[WIND Mobile] [Wind Mobile] $49 Canadian Roaming Promo Plan

  • Last Updated:
  • May 20th, 2015 11:21 am
Tags:
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6060 posts
593 upvotes
SW Ontario
lewdvig wrote: My wife and I have 6 Pluses and they both work fine. You have to input the MMS and data info in settings (1 minute job). iMessages support for the phone number requires a little more work, but its pretty easy too. iMessages to email works fine.
The imessage for phone number 'work around' has been broken for a few months now. So for new customers (or if you change your phone) you can only do email for iMessage. It may work again at some point, but not right now.

It is unfortunate that they never properly supported the iPhone, even after they said the iPhone now works on wind.
Member
Apr 14, 2009
287 posts
76 upvotes
Calgary
Had 2 wind plans for the kids on the 30$ unlimited (older plan). Just jumped ship to Koodo. No regrets. Have noticed a decline even here in Calgary for their data. Likely they are not keeping up to added subscribers. Network is getting congested. That combined with HSPA is making the data unusable so "unlimted" or even 2 or 5 gb becomes pointless at that point.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 9, 2002
1810 posts
339 upvotes
Kitchener
When wind makes their network stable with hspa+ let alone LTE, then you'll start to see a higher influx of new customers
Member
Apr 14, 2009
287 posts
76 upvotes
Calgary
X-Nemesis wrote: When wind makes their network stable with hspa+ let alone LTE, then you'll start to see a higher influx of new customers
Hspa+ used to be ok actually. But seems to be getting bogged down. Not sure how they're growing their existing coverage vs expanding to new.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 19, 2005
3556 posts
553 upvotes
Markham
DrAcX wrote: wow just noticed their better together savings is down from $5 -> $3 / line for 3 lines. This is like the cherry on top for convincing more people to join, which is small but symbolic, and now they go and cut that cherry in half.
Only applies to the new accounts. If you had an account with WIND before these rules, you still follow the old BTS rules no matter which plans you swithc to.
Some people just don't get that online forum posts shouldn't always be taken seriously.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 20, 2004
3109 posts
739 upvotes
Calgary
redgrandam wrote: The imessage for phone number 'work around' has been broken for a few months now. So for new customers (or if you change your phone) you can only do email for iMessage. It may work again at some point, but not right now.

It is unfortunate that they never properly supported the iPhone, even after they said the iPhone now works on wind.
Ah yes, another well researched bit of RFD advice.

Allow me to correct you:

The one-time activation was down for a while but has been working for a couple of weeks: http://www.theonlinemac.com/wind

Unless you buy and activate phones a lot, you only have to do the process once, even for a phone slu like me it's not that big of an inconvenience.

Wind supports iPhone as much as they said/say they would. If you read the guide on their FAQ page it is pretty clear.
Deal Addict
User avatar
May 20, 2004
3109 posts
739 upvotes
Calgary
dr_pepper wrote: Had 2 wind plans for the kids on the 30$ unlimited (older plan). Just jumped ship to Koodo. No regrets. Have noticed a decline even here in Calgary for their data. Likely they are not keeping up to added subscribers. Network is getting congested. That combined with HSPA is making the data unusable so "unlimted" or even 2 or 5 gb becomes pointless at that point.
What part of town? I am near Fish Creek Park and get good speed all the time. I think they have a repeater tower near the Bridlewood store. :)

Does Koodo have a data limit that you can set so that kids don't go over? That's the main reason I swicthed the family to Wind.

With Koodo my kids and wife were all affraid of overages so they never used their data. Now they know they can use as much as they want. Data is slower than LTE for sure but I never find myself waiting.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Sep 21, 2005
11385 posts
10399 upvotes
I like to keep my monthly payment down as low as possible. This Wind $49 plan does not fit my requirement. I will stay with my Zoomer $36 plan for Canada Wide 400 minutes/1GB data. My family members were on Rogers diet, local 200 minutes/500MB data, for very long time. We are happy with the Zoomer $36 plan.

Correct me if I am wrong. Wind does not let your phone go to roaming when you are at a dead spot within Wind zone. Therefore, the unlimited everything does not mean anything when the signal is not available when you need it the most.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6060 posts
593 upvotes
SW Ontario
lewdvig wrote: Ah yes, another well researched bit of RFD advice.

Allow me to correct you:

The one-time activation was down for a while but has been working for a couple of weeks: http://www.theonlinemac.com/wind

Unless you buy and activate phones a lot, you only have to do the process once, even for a phone slu like me it's not that big of an inconvenience.

Wind supports iPhone as much as they said/say they would. If you read the guide on their FAQ page it is pretty clear.
Ok. Last I saw on hofo it wasn't working.
Member
May 25, 2009
390 posts
94 upvotes
embguy wrote: I like to keep my monthly payment down as low as possible. This Wind $49 plan does not fit my requirement. I will stay with my Zoomer $36 plan for Canada Wide 400 minutes/1GB data. My family members were on Rogers diet, local 200 minutes/500MB data, for very long time. We are happy with the Zoomer $36 plan.

Correct me if I am wrong. Wind does not let your phone go to roaming when you are at a dead spot within Wind zone. Therefore, the unlimited everything does not mean anything when the signal is not available when you need it the most.
Well, you're wrong. You can roam, just go settings --> other --> network operators, and select wind away. Assuming you're on android, other OSs you'll have to figure out how to select networks because I'm not sure, haven't used iOS or Windows Phone in a few months.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 12, 2010
6060 posts
593 upvotes
SW Ontario
weirdear wrote: Well, you're wrong. You can roam, just go settings --> other --> network operators, and select wind away. Assuming you're on android, other OSs you'll have to figure out how to select networks because I'm not sure, haven't used iOS or Windows Phone in a few months.
In most places it seems people can connect as you say but can't actually use the network for data etc.
Member
Apr 14, 2009
287 posts
76 upvotes
Calgary
lewdvig wrote: What part of town? I am near Fish Creek Park and get good speed all the time. I think they have a repeater tower near the Bridlewood store. :)

Does Koodo have a data limit that you can set so that kids don't go over? That's the main reason I swicthed the family to Wind.

With Koodo my kids and wife were all affraid of overages so they never used their data. Now they know they can use as much as they want. Data is slower than LTE for sure but I never find myself waiting.


Part of town didn't seem to matter. When I signed my son up a year ago it was pretty good. But in the last 3 months it's gone down hill. My son was getting pretty frustrated and the unlimited was being limited by the network. As an aside his battery is lasting ten to fifteen percent longer. As for limit - I set it through android. Have txt alerting set up and have shown them how to monitor through the mobile app. Although even after a week it's still showing zero data usage.
Newbie
Aug 25, 2006
23 posts
4 upvotes
Roberts Creek
this is hot for my circumstances

My rogers retention contract just expired again (they are offering crap this time around), I am signign up for this plan.

The reason why this plan is hot vs the koodo,virgin, fido plans (with unlimited calling and txt and 1 gb data) for people like me is that I am outside of major cities 30% of the time.


Heads up about the fine print as corrected by some poster. unlimited features is does not apply to partner networks outside of canada.

THanks OP.
Newbie
Aug 25, 2006
23 posts
4 upvotes
Roberts Creek
embguy wrote: I like to keep my monthly payment down as low as possible. This Wind $49 plan does not fit my requirement. I will stay with my Zoomer $36 plan for Canada Wide 400 minutes/1GB data. My family members were on Rogers diet, local 200 minutes/500MB data, for very long time. We are happy with the Zoomer $36 plan.

Correct me if I am wrong. Wind does not let your phone go to roaming when you are at a dead spot within Wind zone. Therefore, the unlimited everything does not mean anything when the signal is not available when you need it the most.
You are wrong.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)