Credit Cards

About CreditCard with high rewards for resturant

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 23rd, 2018 1:30 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 26, 2018
21 posts
4 upvotes

About CreditCard with high rewards for resturant

For any creditcard has high rewards (cash or points or miles), I guess they all categorize the purchase based on merchant code in order to calculate the rewards. If so, if there anyway for me know if particular type of food service location is actually recognized as resturant? For example, McDonalds vs Starbucks vs Boston Pizza vs shopping mall food court?
10 replies
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
14500 posts
12436 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Tangerine will give you 2% CB and it's no AF, and no mention of income requirements (meaning probably default minimum $15k per year annual income). If you're ok with AmEx, looks like SPG Cobalt is the way to go (AF $120).
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 26, 2018
21 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks but that’s not what I am looking for...
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Aug 24, 2016
8325 posts
8940 upvotes
The Prairies
m1xed0s wrote: Thanks but that’s not what I am looking for...
There is no way to know until you do a transaction at that merchant.
Unfortunately, that’s the way it is, crazy I know.
And don’t try asking staff at any merchant, as they would more than likely be totally clueless, and more than likely end up giving you false information in an attempt to help.
[OP]
Newbie
Jan 26, 2018
21 posts
4 upvotes
Okey, that’s my thought...but hope someone had experience regards to chime in.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
14500 posts
12436 upvotes
Going to the Moon
m1xed0s wrote: Okey, that’s my thought...but hope someone had experience regards to chime in.
Any of those restaurants should have the restaurant merchant code, unless it's a very small restaurant that has an obscure POS arrangement.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 28, 2012
957 posts
337 upvotes
QC
For AMEX, you can use the Small Shop map to find nearby places accepting AMEX, and will tell you the category of the merchant. There is also a filter function that lets you select by categories such as "Dining"

https://maps.americanexpress.com/ca/cards-welcome/
FREE online credit reports
AMEX: The more you use it and request to pay by it, the more merchants will accept it.

AMEX Special bonuses : Gold 30K points ·· Platinum 60K ·· Biz Gold 40K FYF ·· Biz Platinum 60K ·· SPG 20K
Member
User avatar
Nov 7, 2017
287 posts
261 upvotes
Leduc
Flitox wrote: For AMEX, you can use the Small Shop map to find nearby places accepting AMEX, and will tell you the category of the merchant. There is also a filter function that lets you select by categories such as "Dining"

https://maps.americanexpress.com/ca/cards-welcome/
This map may miss some places accepting AMEX. I'm pretty sure there is a small restaurant near my home accepting AMEX but I didn't see it from the map.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Apr 28, 2012
957 posts
337 upvotes
QC
liuj69 wrote: This map may miss some places accepting AMEX. I'm pretty sure there is a small restaurant near my home accepting AMEX but I didn't see it from the map.
Yes, it is not 100% accurate or exhaustive. It relies on merchants keeping their information up to date with their payment solutions provider.
FREE online credit reports
AMEX: The more you use it and request to pay by it, the more merchants will accept it.

AMEX Special bonuses : Gold 30K points ·· Platinum 60K ·· Biz Gold 40K FYF ·· Biz Platinum 60K ·· SPG 20K
Deal Addict
May 15, 2013
1773 posts
478 upvotes
Montreal
You can read every CC thread and more than sure you fill find the answer with known restaurant brand names.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jul 13, 2014
4343 posts
1839 upvotes
Parry Sound
m1xed0s wrote: For any creditcard has high rewards (cash or points or miles), I guess they all categorize the purchase based on merchant code in order to calculate the rewards. If so, if there anyway for me know if particular type of food service location is actually recognized as resturant? For example, McDonalds vs Starbucks vs Boston Pizza vs shopping mall food court?
If you're using a MasterCard then you shouldn't really worry about this as they tend to label places correctly.

Visa and Amex are the ones where you might end up getting "department store" at a grocery store or something silly like that.
This message has been approved by the Office of the Mayor of Toronto.

Top