Asus z87-deluxe dual
Windows 10 Pro x64
16GB DDR3 1600mhz...sometimes 8, sometimes 4
240GB Adata SSD
120GB Intel SSD
GTX 770 2Gb
750 watt Corsair PSU

Hello,

My PC is having some very strange issues and I am not sure what the exact problem is. A couple months back I noticed that the mouse would sometimes lag and or audio drop while doing basic tasks. I started getting back into gaming with FFXIV and noticed right away that it would refuse to run in DX11 mode without constantly crashing within minutes or flat out refusing to start. I switched it to DX9 mode and it ran longer without issues, but crashed all the same. So I tried other games and all had the same issues. I reinstalled drivers, even wiped my pc clean yesterday and reinstalled windows 10; thinking that perhaps it was a windows issue.

But the problem remains, very hard crashes(black screens, frozen screens with audio, frozen screens without audio) but through these past two months, I have NEVER had a single bluescreen. I have checked each and every time after these crashes or slowdowns in the even viewer and found zero anomalies or errors reported by windows. I even took my computer apart yesterday, cleaned each and every single component, applied new thermal paste, new bios battery, everything. And the problem persists, to top it off; windows/bios are saying I have 8GB of memory, when I have 16 installed. I tested the memory using memtest overnight and all sticks passed with no issues either. I'm about to lose my mind.

I removed memory sticks, removed the Nvidia GPU and used the onboard graphics, reinstalled every driver known to man, reinstalled a clean copy of windows, gutted the pc and cleaned everything, applied new paste, checked the PSU, EVERYTHING. Even just being on the desktop, I get lag. The graphical errors, audio/video slow-down happen when using the cpu's integrated graphics or the GTX 770. I did change sata ports as well last night when I reinstalled windows. I gota message about intel thunderbolt resource management and again when I reset just now. Can anyone help me please?

Edit: I should add that in my initial testing of the pc WITH the GPU, full-screen applications and especially games would crash like crazy and not even run properly at all. I tested the GPU with furmark and it would let me run at 1920x1080 fullscreen, but nothing else. Yet I could it to 8k and beyond, windowed and the GPU would say it was putting out 100's of frames...at over 8k...on a GTX 770 2GB.
20190805_221025_resized.jpg
wtfff.png
44 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 11, 2003
2444 posts
1009 upvotes
Toronto
I'm just throwing this out there just in case but by any chance did you upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1?

I did the free upgrade on my laptop from 8.1 to Windows 10 and my laptop would crash regularly (blue screen, some error message upon boot up, etc). I did a clean install of Windows 10 and then everything has been working great for years now.
P10 2.4 THz CPU || 8 TB Ram || WD 300 TB HD || Nvidia w/ 32 TB Memory

"You're only as dumb as you look"
[OP]
Dec 30, 2016
315 posts
273 upvotes
Hi. No, I did a fresh install of windows 10 a gorillion years ago and again last night.
[OP]
Dec 30, 2016
315 posts
273 upvotes
Well I left it running after removing the gpu and switching to the integrated graphics and this is what it's saying as of now:
hmm.png
Now it's my network driver/hdd? I don't even know. I think the board might just be dying or something, it's the only logical conclusion. I can't have that many components failing all at once.
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12404 posts
3558 upvotes
it's quite obvious when your memory isn't being listed correctly, your mobo is dying
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
Oct 23, 2010
184 posts
198 upvotes
Brampton
Check for bulging/bad capacitors on your mobo.
Aug 6, 2019
3 posts
1 upvote
sexyj wrote: it's quite obvious when your memory isn't being listed correctly, your mobo is dying
its possible that the RAMM is not on the tested list. ASUS are great MBs and usually will take any ramm.
I suggest using the ramm specified in the mb book/website. Also with high end systems; definitely use the same brand ramm and parity. I would use all the same ramm size. ( i think its necessary if you are using dual channel option on the board)
like the next post. if a cap is bulging... its on its way out.
Deal Guru
Jan 11, 2004
10020 posts
879 upvotes
Toronto
ablessa wrote: Check for bulging/bad capacitors on your mobo.
sounds like it, or a power supply could be dying too.

maybe the heat sink compound has dryed up, replace it on the north and south bridges. and replace the cpu heatsink compound.

how this guy cleans old used pc, to mint condition.

"When operating the viewfinder diopter control with your eye to the viewfinder, care should be taken not to put your finger in your eye accidentally."
[OP]
Dec 30, 2016
315 posts
273 upvotes
Hi guys,

I cleaned the motherboard thoroughly and replaced the thermal paste on the cpu. After that I took apart the power supply, cleaned it of all dust and double checked all dimms as I stated above. I've had the system since 2013 and purchased everything at once from NCIX when it was still a thing. The system runs very cool right now due to the deep cleaning that I did(fans are barely audible) so that's good, but it's not a windows problem or CPU/Memory/HDD/Power supply. Something is very wrong with the motherboard because even if the PSU, which I thought could be the culprit; were dying, the stuff happening *wouldn't* be happening. I have speakers connected to the system via bluetooth, they're not a part of anything and they seem to struggle with playing audio too from the PC. There's popping noises and sometimes it just loses connection flat out. The speakers have their own power supply and plugged into the surge protector(which I also checked).

The PC was struggling all this morning, but I haven't had any crazy issues tonight apart from having to reset the bluetooth for the billionth time.
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4003 posts
1160 upvotes
Do you have another system you can test the GPU with or another GPU all together to test? .... If you have another system... just do process of elimination. Test the GPU... then PSU etc.. test everything. Could be stupid as a bad SATA cable sometimes. Since the system has been running since 2013.. I wouldn't think it's any ram incompatibility or else it'll show up earlier. Can try going one stick of ram as well so you can test every slot. But like others said, most likely is motherboard going bad. An excuse to do a full system upgrade perhaps :)
[OP]
Dec 30, 2016
315 posts
273 upvotes
coilz wrote: Do you have another system you can test the GPU with or another GPU all together to test? .... If you have another system... just do process of elimination. Test the GPU... then PSU etc.. test everything. Could be stupid as a bad SATA cable sometimes. Since the system has been running since 2013.. I wouldn't think it's any ram incompatibility or else it'll show up earlier. Can try going one stick of ram as well so you can test every slot. But like others said, most likely is motherboard going bad. An excuse to do a full system upgrade perhaps :)
I have another older GPU I could use to test, but as I stated earlier; even running on integrated graphics and physically leaving the PCI-E slot empty still results in stuttering and other lag issues. I removed two of the oldest memory sticks and so far the system has been reporting 8GB(2x4) consistently, so that's a positive I guess. It's just frustrating not knowing what the problem could be. I'm thinking to build a new system at this point and retire this with just the integrated graphics into a HTPC.
Aug 5, 2005
490 posts
242 upvotes
Maybe a bios update might help, have you check whether you are running the latest?
If they thumb you down I will up it just because
[OP]
Dec 30, 2016
315 posts
273 upvotes
$n00ker wrote: Maybe a bios update might help, have you check whether you are running the latest?
Hi. Yes I checked, it's an Asus z87 deluxe dual and Asus being Asus, haven't updated it since they released it. Never buying one of their boards again, that's for sure.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2330 posts
338 upvotes
In another world
It sounds to me it's your mobo.

If the mobo it's not the problem, the second culprit would be the video card.
Have you tried running games without the graphics card?
Just use the iGPU and set some games to play in normal settings that the mobo could support.
If the games run, then your video card may be the problem. If they crash, then it's the mobo.

I had a gaming laptop a while ago. It would run video games at normal settings and some in high settings. From time to time it would freeze, randomly.
I turned out the video card was OK, but strangely enough the card needed to be adjusted at some particular settings in order to run the games.
I can't remember the name, but it was an nVidia software that would allow to tweak the fan settings, voltage and other stuff.
I ran into a website where a guy made a settings recommendation, tried it and voila! The problems went away.
For sure the card was running at max power nevertheless I could run my games without issues.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7137 posts
1471 upvotes
Toronto
A SSD that is dying often manifests itself in ways that make it seem like another component is failing, it might be worth a shot trying out a different SSD/HDD to install windows onto.

Though your PC still has alot of life in it if you can solve your problem, now is a perfect time to upgrade; RAM is cheap, Ryzen 3000 CPUs bring incredible value, NVME SSDs are cheap.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2955 upvotes
Try flashing to an older bios then reflashing to newest, then clear the cmos
Deal Guru
Feb 10, 2007
12404 posts
3558 upvotes
jesus... this is a motherboard issue
[self promotion rule violation, removed twice already][self promotion rule violation, removed twice already]Trolling or Threadcrapping Trolling - woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop woooooooo 3k on a laptop
[OP]
Dec 30, 2016
315 posts
273 upvotes
Here are the utilities I've run:

Memtest 86 for 24 hours, all DIMMS passed
Furmark for 8 minutes: GPU passed, no BSOD ever from gpu.
WhysoSlow: 7 hours, reported all kind of component errors
CrystalDisk: All SSD's healthy
Intel SSD toolkit: Ran TRIM and updated firmware, toolkit said drives were fine.
DDU: Installed and uninstalled GPU drivers twice
Windows: Reinstalled windows clean

And that's just the software side of things. I took apart the PC including the PSU and cleaned everything thoroughly, including changing the paste on the CPU; still gremlins running rampant. Every day I have to reset and delete my bluetooth speakers before they'll work again, intermittently at that. Trying to play a game, audio drops and pops like crazy and the system is guranteed to freeze. So I thought, maybe it's the speakers? Disconnected them, deleted them from device manager, reset and tried a game with no sound. Crash, crash, freeze, crash. I appreciate you all trying to help, but this really seems to be a motherboard issue at this point and it's been 6 years since I purchased it; so Asus won't care at all.

Here are the codes that the Qcodes on the motherboard have spat out:

02 AP initialization before microcode loading
55 Memory not installed
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4003 posts
1160 upvotes
Some googling gives some reports of people with PSU problem or loose power cables when the microcode loading error shows up.